Katadyn hiker pro plugged up

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Spent the weekend in the elk woods and pumped 9 liters from a spring that we pumped from a month ago. Now, on that trip a month ago, I forgot to clean it when I got home so it had sat in the garage until this weekend. That last trip was also the first time I had used the filter and it worked excellent at the time. This weekend I pulled my first 3 liters without issue but then the plunger became pretty hard to pump. I had dug out a little pool for the water to collect in and I allowed the sediment to fall to the bottom before I started pumping but it did get a little stirred up i guess while pumping. The same thing happened to my buddies' hiker pro this weekend, pulling from the same spring and he had also used his for the first time last month when I broke mine in.

Is there a way I can clean it? Also, Can you give me some advice on how to extend the life of my filter? Going on another trip this weekend and need to be able to use the katadyn where I'm headed.

Thank you,

Drew

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I clean mine after every trip as soon as I get home before it cakes in the filter. The latest one has lasted over a year.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
good to know. How deep of a pool are you generally pulling from?

it's varied, but I try to find running water (even if its just slightly moving) most of the time. I employ a similar strategy to you if I have no choice and the water is stagnant and a shallow pool. it might be annoying, but I take it slower if I need to so the water doesn't get all muddied up.

I tossed mine off a cliff and went to the msr sweetwater. You can clean it right there with the brush. Been with it 3 years now. Add prefilter silt filter and you can go anywhere.

I've had mine for years with no issues. I tend to try and find water clean of debris whenever possible and like mentioned, if you have real dirty, muddy water it is best to clean it before it clogs up the system, hoses, filter and such. It does not take all that much to clean it when you get home and run a couple tablespoons of bleach and water and then some clean water through the system when you store it or check on it for the next trip out.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Bring extra coffee filters with you next time. I will put these over the inlet (and add a rubber band above the inlet to secure it) to "pre filter" the water. This method keeps 99% of debris from entering the hose and filter.

Hopefully (as said above) you installed the outer screen.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
When you guys say "outer screen" I assume you mean the small, metallic screen that is installed on the suction end of the inlet hose?

I'll try and give it a clean with Bleach like recommended and will employ the coffee filter pre-filter from now on when sediment is questionable.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
When you guys say "outer screen" I assume you mean the small, metallic screen that is installed on the suction end of the inlet hose?
No, (at least i wasnt) I was talking about the screen that goes on the outside of the actual filter inside the housing.

In a spot I hunt we have a terrible time with our filters. We pump out of a roughly 3'x3' spring on the side of the mountain. It is spring water but it is very dirty. Lots if animals drink from it and bears wallow in it. You can literally pull bear hair off the sticks in the spring. We can pump our filters and get about 5 gallons each before they are completely worthless. Has anyone tried the katadyn pocket water? Supposed to do better in nasty water. It is expensive but would be well worth it if it doesn't fail.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Update: pulled the cartridge and removed the netting and that super fine mesh filter protector. The cartridge was packed with sediment. So I carefully cleaned out each fold under running water and then pumped a bleach solution through it. Then pumped tap water through it. Now it's back to doing a liter to a liter and a half per minute with normal pumping.

I'll go ahead and let the cartridge air dry until the weekend. I'll for sure be wrapping a bandana or coffee filter around the weighted pre-filter from now on too!

Take-a-knee

Banned
No, (at least i wasnt) I was talking about the screen that goes on the outside of the actual filter inside the housing.

That's the one I'm referring to as well. Various pre-filters can be plumbed into the pickup. For really contaminated water with a lot of particulate. some Chlor-floc in a larger vessel would be called for. That will cause all of the crud to settle out and allow you to decant and pour off the clear chlorinated water and discard the crud.

I've gotten a couple of months use (for two) out of a single Hiker Pro filter in a gravity setup. Gravity tends to clog less, IMO.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
mine does have the super fine mesh screen that's held on by that plastic netting. It was fairly dirty but the cartridge itself was just plain nasty in all the folds. working good again now.