Katabatic vs Borah bivy

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Wanting a bivy for floorless shelter and/or under a tarp. Have it narrowed down to Borah Gear ultralight and Katabatic Bristlecone. Anybody have experience with both or strongly recommend one over the other?

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Love my Borah Bivy. I’m a big guy with custom quilt(XX-Wide/Long) with 4” sleeping pad. They made me a custom sized cuben Bivy that I run with my Kifaru Sawtooth or Borah tarp if I chose so. Zero experience with the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My borah bivy has been good to me the last 2 years. I just picked up another one for my son. Love how it keeps everything together

Drenalin

WKR
I've had a Borah, have a Katabatic Pinon now. The Borah is like 25% lighter and seemed to have more interior space. And it's cheaper. Either is good, but if starting over I'd stay with the Borah - if you can wait on it.

OP
T

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a Borah, have a Katabatic Pinon now. The Borah is like 25% lighter and seemed to have more interior space. And it's cheaper. Either is good, but if starting over I'd stay with the Borah - if you can wait on it.

Good info. Have you noticed any difference in the waterproof/water resistant capabilities? Thanks.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a Borah, Katabatic Pinon, and MLD SL (Full Head Net).
The breathable water resistant top fabric is comparable on all three as well as the waterproof bottom/floor.
All three are equally functional but would give a nod to the MLD and Katabatic in overall attention to detail.
I didn't like the location of the hang loop to keep the netting off your face on the Katabatic.
With Borah you can fully customize it (longer zipper, u-shaped zipper, mesh strip in the center, ect...) and without a doubt the best bang for the dollar.
I personally prefer the MLD SL Full Head Net Bivy as I like the footbox construction.....but if purchasing now would probably lean towards the Borah as it is every bit as functional but considerably cheaper (you can get the Borah with a DCF floor for roughly the same price as an MLD with Silnylon floor....and it's lighter).

Drenalin

WKR
Good info. Have you noticed any difference in the waterproof/water resistant capabilities? Thanks.
No, I didn't have any issues with the floor or top material on either one. I will point out that the Katabatic has more material up the sides and at the top than the Borah, so should provide more protection - but in reality that's probably dictated more by the user than the product. Either way, I haven't had any issues with moisture getting in with either - but condensation is a touch worse with the Katabatic.

OP
T

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the info. Probably going with the Borah if it looks like they might become available before September.