Kahles Scopes

Article 4

WKR
For years I ran a lot of different types of scopes. They included Vortex (the hamiltons are great men) Swaro, Zeiss, Leupold and others. I found myself searching for the perfect mix of all the best attributes of those brands. Acceptable weight, top tier glass bar none, turret function, warranty, and quality of build. Then add in the goal of wanting a consistent reticle on every scope, tactical/hunting, that had the glass quality of Swarovski with the functionality of the Razor and Nightforce.

My research and hands on experimenting lasted 4 to 5 months and I landed on a brand I was familiar with but was newer to me - Kahles K Series. I was so impressed with attributes of the 6-24 and 5-25 K series, I bought 7 of them all with the SKMR 3 reticle. Why?
  • Tracking is spot on - I used a Mil based tracking board to check each scopes click value - perfect elev and windage tracking
  • LSW functionality - All turrets and parallax are adjusted with one hand, my left. No need to remove the right hand from the rifle
  • Glass clarity - clear at full magnification - edge to edge and low light
  • Build quality - you pay for German engineering and it shows
I get no remuneration by posting this...I am sharing my experience to share that not many of us have 7 high performance LR rifles and many of my friends have 1 or maybe 2. They want glass that can run both for hunting and on the range if the choose to shoot a fun comp. Kahles opened my eyes and if you have the means, I recommend you go hands on and take a strong look.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have used the K624i for a lot of years but did have a few tracking issues with this scope. The K525i is a whole different animal than the K624i, Better glass, and better guts.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Ryan
Spot on
I could tell no practical difference in the glass between the models. I am not sure to the naked eye that many people could knowing most HD glass reaches about 2.1 megapixels of resolution. Human eye acuity is a varying measurement based on multiple factors that cannot be standardized due to whether a person has 20/10 or 20/30 vision and can many times see "better" than a scope can transmit so there is a point of return that we cannot perceived. The difference is light and color transmission.

The glass's ability to filter and transmit light in the 93% + range is a big factor in perceived clarity. Add in the types of multi coatings applied to the glass, coupled with that glass clarity and light transmission, can accentuate the impression of more clarity, to a point. Its all important.

My take away with any optic has always been to buy the absolute best optic you can possibly afford. It will serve you well for many many years; today there is rarely a huge difference in one model upgrade within the same manufacturer.

WKR
I have been drooling over the K525i. Good to know some first hand experiences. Been thinking about upgrading my nxs for one.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have been drooling over the K525i. Good to know some first hand experiences. Been thinking about upgrading my nxs for one.

You will love it! One thing that never gets talked about is you don't have to take the damn turret off to set the zero stop. LOVE that feature!

I have been happy with a 3rd gen 624 for at least a few years. Have heard some horror stories about erectors getting messed up from carrying heavy rifles by the bell housing or scope tube so I don’t dare pick up mine that way. Other than those stories and some chromatic aberration, they are the cats ass as far as I’m concerned. Would love one of the new ones.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
The Gen 3 is the way to go if you are going to go with the 624's. Huge difference between the Gen 1 and 2 and from what I am told, the precursor to the 525. Looking around you can find an odd show sample for 2400 here and there

The Gen 3 is the way to go if you are going to go with the 624's. Huge difference between the Gen 1 and 2 and from what I am told, the precursor to the 525. Looking around you can find an odd show sample for 2400 here and there

Used ones on the hide are a dime a dozen for cheaper than that.

wildcat33

WKR
My research and hands on experimenting lasted 4 to 5 months and I landed on a brand I was familiar with but was newer to me - Kahles K Series. I was so impressed with attributes of the 6-24 and 5-25 K series, I bought 7 of them all with the SKMR 3 reticle.

Goddamn son, you threw down 20Gs on scopes?

And since we're dreaming here, did you consider the TT against the 525?

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Goddamn son, you threw down 20Gs on scopes?

And since we're dreaming here, did you consider the TT against the 525?

Yeah I got a little obsessive with it - I wanted all the reticles, functionality, LSW adjustments, and glass to be the same on all my ELR rifles. I placed scopes on:
338 Norma
300 RUM
30 Nosler
7mm/338 Norma
6.5 GAP
6.5 CM
22-250 ai
I know the last 2 a gut could argue may not be ELR but to meet the goal of the switch, they got new glass too.

Yeah I did consider it along with about 8 or 9 other scopes. There is some great glass out there and I am convinced that premium brands are all darn good.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
The 525 is an updated 624. The glass is pretty much the same. The internals in the 525 have been tweaked and updated.
If you can find a 624 on clearance somewhere, they can be had for about 700 less. If money is no matter, go with the updated 525

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I personally would only buy the 525i. The 624i has had issues tracking.

As for glass. It has been updated. Some eyes may not see it but the 525i has the same glass as the X5 which the 624i does not.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I don't own one but have shot one several time. It's a short scope but has all the features of the 525.