Just bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x42

tbot28

FNG
So yesterday I decided to upgrade my binos. I've been using Vortex Diamondback 10x42s, not the hds but the model before. I went into scheels yesterday to check out a bunch of different options. I ended up landing on the Zeiss Conquest V4 10x42s. They were all pretty close in quality in the store, I expected that as the lighting was good. I got home all excited to try them out as the sun was going down in comparison to my Vortex set. To my surprise, the zeiss were almost not any better at all than my old 200 dollar diamondbacks. Even in low light they were pretty much an even match. The two areas you could say they were an improvement was eye relief, and MAYBE clarity, but not by much. Eye relief wise they were slightly better when wearing my glasses. As far as clarity, the center of the images were pretty evenly matching with a very slight edge going to the zeiss, however the very edges of the image, the zeiss was definitely sharper. I guess I was expecting more from my first set of quality glass. I know this isnt the top Zeiss model offered by any stretch, but coming from the bottom line Vortex, I was expecting better, especially in low light. Has anyone else had a similar experience or is it possible I got bad glass? Or maybe I was expecting to much?

OP
T

tbot28

FNG
I did, they seemed similar to the zeiss pair I bought, but opted for the zeiss due to the higher advertised eye relief as I wear glasses. But I will say the lighting was good in store and none that I compared seemed to far off of each other. I looked at the zeiss and Leica 1000 dollar offerings and a few models of the razor hds.

How much "glassing" did you actually do with your diamondbacks? Were you picking apart mountainsides for hours on end? Or were you looking through them for a few minutes at a time?

Alpha glass shines when you are glassing for hours. Less eye fatigue from alpha glass. Eye fatigue is a killer and can cause brutal headaches.

If you are unhappy with them you can always return them.

OP
T

tbot28

FNG
How much "glassing" did you actually do with your diamondbacks? Were you picking apart mountainsides for hours on end? Or were you looking through them for a few minutes at a time?

Alpha glass shines when you are glassing for hours. Less eye fatigue from alpha glass. Eye fatigue is a killer and can cause brutal headaches.

If you are unhappy with them you can always return them.
Well i started mountain hunting last year, previously did mostly whitetail/mule deer hunting in the midwest. The trip into the mountains last fall is what got me onto upgrading optics. I will say that eye fatigue was definitely present using the diamondbacks, and I didn't test the Zeiss in anyway enough last night to let them shine in that aspect. I guess I sort of expected more in terms of light gathering and clarity. But I'm glad you mentioned that as something to consider. I'm very new to quality optics, which is sort of why I jumped on the forum this morning with questions. Thanks for the reply. I'll try to spend some lengthy time behind them this weekend before I jump to returning them.

Well i started mountain hunting last year, previously did mostly whitetail/mule deer hunting in the midwest. The trip into the mountains last fall is what got me onto upgrading optics. I will say that eye fatigue was definitely present using the diamondbacks, and I didn't test the Zeiss in anyway enough last night to let them shine in that aspect. I guess I sort of expected more in terms of light gathering and clarity. But I'm glad you mentioned that as something to consider. I'm very new to quality optics, which is sort of why I jumped on the forum this morning with questions. Thanks for the reply. I'll try to spend some lengthy time behind them this weekend before I jump to returning them.

You're welcome. I bought my first pair of alpha binos in 2014. I went big $$ and bought Zeiss Victory 10x56 rangefinders. Best money I have spent on hunting gear. Putting them on a high quality tripod was a game changer as well. It's almost unfair. Lol

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I've been searching for a pair of binos for my wife and daughter when we hunt together without buying another pair of El's. I was most impressed with the Zeiss. I even compared them to the Leica's expecting them to be superior and they weren't. I have very sensitive eyes and notice eye tension immediately as it will prohibit long glassing sessions. Spend 2 hours behind them, if you still aren't impressed return them.