Jet boil canister

Teaman1

WKR
How many jetboil canisters do you guys take on your back pack hunts? Wondering if I could get by with 1 230 gram for a 5 day solo hunt (5 meals using the jetboil)

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
A 230 gram would easily do a 5 day hunt. At altitude (10K-11K), If I only boil for a meal at night and coffee in the morning (2 boils per day), one 100 gram canister will get me through 5 days with some to spare. If you are going to be a lower altitude you will get more boils out of a canister.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
In the past I’d just take a pot and boil water over a fire, until last year when there was a burn ban that we didn’t know about until we got to the mountain haha

One 100g cylinder in my Jetboil sol (the ones that fit inside/nest) lasts between 3-5 days of heating water for two people at breakfast and dinner. Mind you, this is at 10,000'+ where water boils at ~200F.

One handy tip i have learned is to take a full and empty cylinder, and float them in water. Mark the water level, and that is how much fuel remains (empty vs full). I do this on all my cylinders, and it makes keeping track of fuel quantity easy. Ill take half full ones on overnights or 2 night stints, or a full and a partial for a week long, etc.

ODB

WKR
One 100g cylinder in my Jetboil sol (the ones that fit inside/nest) lasts between 3-5 days of heating water for two people at breakfast and dinner. Mind you, this is at 10,000'+ where water boils at ~200F.

One handy tip i have learned is to take a full and empty cylinder, and float them in water. Mark the water level, and that is how much fuel remains (empty vs full). I do this on all my cylinders, and it makes keeping track of fuel quantity easy. Ill take half full ones on overnights or 2 night stints, or a full and a partial for a week long, etc.

I weight mine in grams on the kitchen scale and write underneath.