Jacket recommendations - CO 1st week September

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Checking the peanu gallery’s suggestions for what to bring on my archery elk hunt this September. Unit would be south central / SW Colorado first then days or so.

Plan is to spike camp, stay light and mobile.

Possible options are
1. Kuiu guide with hood
2. Forloh rain jacket
3. Forloh puffy

Should I bring all 3 or could I get away with the Kuiu+puffy? Would that offer enough rain protection? Is the puffy overkill? Would the guide be enough insulation by it self?

Base layer would be Kuiu peloton long sleeve or gulch long sleeve on top. Attack or dehaviland pants.

taskswap

WKR
Bring all three in your truck and pick one at the trailhead. With Colorado, you just never know. I've seen snow and freezing rain in August.

Outwest

WKR
Puffy and rain jacket only. The guide jacket alone is not enough insulation unless you run very hot. If the wind is really your main reason to bring the soft shell, your rain jacket over the puffy will stop the wind just as good if not better. It’s a much more versatile system. If you’re more concerned with comfort, you’d be better served by a fleece that can be layered.

I have encountered some pretty gnarly weather in late aug/sept but a wet out softshell is of no benefit at all in any weather.

A soft shell is a heavy luxury of day hunting from the truck, leave it there.

Tick

WKR
Puffy and rain jacket. May not need either but the puffy is good insurance. I usually carry an umbrella in September because it is too hot for a jacket. The latest weather forecast determines what I pack or leave in the truck.

Bump79

WKR
If you're spike camping don't overthink it - bring all 3 in the truck & go from there.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In 2020 we got hit with a cold front and several inches of snow the first week of September. It got cold. That's easy to deal with if you're camping at a drive-to base camp, but if you're packing in that can make things miserable if you're not prepared for it. Definitely take the puffy and some type of outer shell jacket, but I'd also have a fleece as well. Love my fleece.