Jacket…KUIU Kenai vs Stone Glacier Cirque?

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide which to purchase as an active backcountry hiking/hunting active insulation jacket.
Kenai is around 4.5-5 ozs lighter, but the Cirque is a larger jacket with more insulation.

Which has a better fit? SG jackets seem to have more room (looser) for movement and KUIU known for tighter athletic fit line.

I run warm as it is so the Cirque might be too warm, but which outer fabric is more water resistant and abrasion resistant?

Thanks

josef

FNG
The cirque is definitely warmer. It all really depends where yours at temp wise but I have a hard time picturing using the cirque as a layers piece. The Kenai definitely is a better option to me if you run hot or are looking for something active.

Ive said this before but the SG jackets seems to have really tight chin areas. If you full zip up and use the hood youre going to have a mouth full. I do this often and its the only thing I dont really like about the SG jackets. You can notice it in their advertisements and website (not one photo of someone running the zipper all the way up).

The Kenai fabric seems more stretchy to me. I got a small tear in my cirque within days of having it. Thats a sample size of one though so I wouldnt read too much into that. I would say they are likely even in durability.

slick

WKR
No experience with the Cirque.

But, I've had two Kenai jackets. One from their first run and is thrashed, but was used for work and play. I just ordered a new one-updated version- and it's great.

Fairly breathable, warm enough for all but the coldest hunts i.e., ~15* and lower if not active. Great as an active jacket or layering piece, fabric is soft and quiet, but durable.

I love the Kenai as an active layer. Much less on and off when hiking and climbing. Quiet enough for archery. It's a great piece that is fairly unique.

I don't have any experience with the Stone Glacier Cirque, but SG makes great gear.

I'm interested to see how the new Sitka Ambient jacket compares to the Kuiu Kenai.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think they have different use cases especially if you run warm. Own both, had first gen kenai as well. For active days above freezing but cold, or really pushing hard when it’s below freezing, I thought the kenai did fine. Much tighter fit. Wind seems to blow through then a lot easier than the cirque jacket.

The cirque is a bit different from a lot of synthetic pieces just because of the thickness of insulation it uses. 100% agree on the tight neck comment, same exact experience here. Compared with the kenai, which barely has a collar, I’d take the SG one still. Cirque is way warmer, and as an outer piece on the move it would need to be a lot colder (here in MT later in November this would be a good trait) to just keep it on all the time. I got it for late season all day cold outings, or when I do not want to take down for any reason. I run cold so for me it works great, but can totally see it not working well for people who run warmer.

Hope that helps you decide, good luck.

Bump79

WKR
The Kenai has a poor fit IMHO. The pit area of the arms doesn't allow good articulation and binds/ pulls up when you draw. Also, I'm honestly surprised at how popular it is with how poor the durability is. My brand new jacket came with pulls, the vest was showing tons of wear after 2 weeks of light use.

OP
Headhunter

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lol, I got several pushing for the Kenai I bought one, but the last few gents are saying Cirque. I may buy a Cirque as well and just return the one I don’t see keeping.
Was just apprehensive buying the Cirque because I didn’t want to be sweating the whole time since it has more insulation and some are saying it’s much warmer than the Kenai.
I will agree that KUIU jackets are practically form fitting unless you size up. My SG Dehavilland jacket fits better than my KUIU Axis Hybrid or DCS Guide. The KUIU’s are tighter fitting especially in the arms.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
My kenai fit was perfect with plenty of room to move. I ordered my normal size large. 6’0” 195#. It breathes well, is pretty warm and it is quiet. My axis hybrid I did size up to xl and I would consider that one still form fitting.

Last edited:
OP
Headhunter

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so both showed up. I’ll do a basic fit/construction review tonight and report back. Both are medium sized and I’m 5’11 168

Be interested after you see both. I looked hard at the SG but I run warm. Went with a Sitka mdwi instead. Kuiu never fits me unfortunately.

I bought a Kenai and thought the fit was boxy. Ended up with a Patagonia Nano-Air which was basically the same thing but fit better.

To me the Cirque seems like a different jacket, 133 grams/meter^2 vs 90 grams/meter^2 for the Kenai. The Cirque might compete a bit more with the Kifaru LPP, but probably still not as warm.

Are you using it to sit and glass? = Cirque

Are you using it when you're moving? = Kenai

OP
Headhunter

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ok fellas, so here’s my take on 2) brand new current SG/KUIU synthetic active jackets.

The weight for those that care.. Kenai is roughly 5 ozs lighter and you can tell a slight difference when handling them.
Outer fabric- the Kenai is just barely and I mean barely quieter than the Cirque. You sense a bit of stretch with the Kenai. I would barely give the nod to the Cirque for durability outer fabric wise over the Kenai.
Pockets- they both are almost identical since the overall length is the same, but the Cirque’s sit about a 1/4” higher (since they boast the use of it over a pack’s waist belt. Feels slightly awkward putting your hands in them for regular use. Both the Kenai and Cirque pockets angle slightly downward when closer to the zipper. The Cirque pockets have a narrower opening and also seem a bit shallower than the Kenai’s.

I laid the Kenai over the top of the Cirque and the Cirque is about 2” longer in the torso, but only about a 1/2” longer in the tail. These are both Medium’s.

Sleeves- SG is well known for having more room in the sleeves (like my De Havilland jacket), which I like because the Cirque fits under it (Medium size too) and doesn’t restrict movement. This allows a base or mid-layer underneath. The Kenai actually has some room in the sleeves as well, but not as much as the Cirque. The Kenai seems to have a little more room in the forearm area; as the Cirque’s feel tighter/slimmer.
The cuffs are pretty standard on KUIU… thin elastic, but functional and not in the way. The Cirque cuffs are about a 1/2” flat semi-elastic type. I lean a little towards the Cirque’s design but not sure why (maybe more aesthetically pleasing).
Pit zips- Kenai has one zipper, Cirque has two. The Cirque inside zipper body can potentially contact bare skin if wearing a t-shirt. (cold to touch), but otherwise no issue. I prefer the Cirque pit zips because there’s nothing more annoying than after dumping heat you’re struggling to zip them back up without taking off the jacket or fiddling for 5 minutes to get them closed. I have several KUIU jackets/puffy with pit zips and it always seems like a hassle. The Cirque pit zips go down about 2.5” further than the Kenai

Fitment- I’m 5’11 168 pounds with an athletic build.
The Cirque fits tighter in the torso than the Kenai. The Kenai offers a bit more room to add a mid-layer whereas the Cirque would be tight, so a base layer might have to be it… granted the Cirque will be warmer (more insulation). The Cirque has a slightly longer tail.

Collar- The Kenai is definitely shorter, so if you don’t like a mouthful of zipper (unless you have a long neck), don’t get the Cirque. I run warm, so I highly doubt I’ll ever have it zipped up that high anyways, unless I’m glassing off a very cold/windy peak.

For around town- If you’re the type to wear this jacket everywhere, then in my opinion go with the Kenai. The chest stitching on the Cirque is very unappealing and boxy looking, plus the pocket placement rides high (for those packs). The Cirque is also longer in the torso.

I didn’t test water resistance, but feel the Cirque will do a slightly better job since the face fabric seems in my opinion to be a little stronger.

I think the Kenai’s insulation if highly water resistant like their video depicts and it’s water resistant face fabric might be overall better in wet conditions since the insulation supposedly won’t hold water as in it being somewhat water phobic. Obviously I can’t attest to this.

In summary… honestly these are both great jackets. I can see myself using both, but the Kenai is lighter and since it has less insulation (I run warm) I may use it a little more than the Cirque. I would definitely use the Kenai more around town (not hunting), than the Cirque. The Cirque to me is mainly suited for, well… hunting.

Hope this helps you guys out.

Last edited:

mpk1996

FNG
How is the general sizing compared to other “normal” clothes for the SG? I normally wear a med jacket (5’8” 175 lbs 41” chest 32” waist). I wear a large kenai and axis (and other kuiu jackets. 34” short kuiu pants. Was looking at the SG Cirque as a warmer options in real late hunts or wetter/cold hunts west I may not want the down. Just looking for sizing. Was thinking about this and an M7 set (think they are more waterproof then the my axis and may be better in day Alaska. Thanks for the review.

OP
Headhunter

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
How is the general sizing compared to other “normal” clothes for the SG? I normally wear a med jacket (5’8” 175 lbs 41” chest 32” waist). I wear a large kenai and axis (and other kuiu jackets. 34” short kuiu pants. Was looking at the SG Cirque as a warmer options in real late hunts or wetter/cold hunts west I may not want the down. Just looking for sizing. Was thinking about this and an M7 set (think they are more waterproof then the my axis and may be better in day Alaska. Thanks for the review.
I’m 5’11” 166 with a 41” chest and 31/32” waist. Cirque fits great (tighter than Kenai) but has a long tail (it’s in Medium). Kind of annoyingly long to me. SG jackets have a longer tail/torso than all KUIU. The Cirque is warmer though

mpk1996

FNG
I’m 5’11” 166 with a 41” chest and 31/32” waist. Cirque fits great (tighter than Kenai) but has a long tail (it’s in Medium). Kind of annoyingly long to me. SG jackets have a longer tail/torso than all KUIU. The Cirque is warmer though

Thanks. And you also wear a Med kenaa? Mine is a large and it fits great. If the med cirque is tighter than the med kenai, that might be to tight. Might try the large. Thanks for the info

OP
Headhunter

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. And you also wear a Med kenaa? Mine is a large and it fits great. If the med cirque is tighter than the med kenai, that might be to tight. Might try the large. Thanks for the info
Yes, I have Medium in both
Kenai fits looser on torso than the Cirque

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Ok fellas, so here’s my take on 2) brand new current SG/KUIU synthetic active jackets.

The weight for those that care.. Kenai is roughly 5 ozs lighter and you can tell a slight difference when handling them.
Outer fabric- the Kenai is just barely and I mean barely quieter than the Cirque. You sense a bit of stretch with the Kenai. I would barely give the nod to the Cirque for durability outer fabric wise over the Kenai.
Pockets- they both are almost identical since the overall length is the same, but the Cirque’s sit about a 1/4” higher (since they boast the use of it over a pack’s waist belt. Feels slightly awkward putting your hands in them for regular use. Both the Kenai and Cirque pockets angle slightly downward when closer to the zipper. The Cirque pockets have a narrower opening and also seem a bit shallower than the Kenai’s.

I laid the Kenai over the top of the Cirque and the Cirque is about 2” longer in the torso, but only about a 1/2” longer in the tail. These are both Medium’s.

Sleeves- SG is well known for having more room in the sleeves (like my De Havilland jacket), which I like because the Cirque fits under it (Medium size too) and doesn’t restrict movement. This allows a base or mid-layer underneath. The Kenai actually has some room in the sleeves as well, but not as much as the Cirque. The Kenai seems to have a little more room in the forearm area; as the Cirque’s feel tighter/slimmer.
The cuffs are pretty standard on KUIU… thin elastic, but functional and not in the way. The Cirque cuffs are about a 1/2” flat semi-elastic type. I lean a little towards the Cirque’s design but not sure why (maybe more aesthetically pleasing).
Pit zips- Kenai has one zipper, Cirque has two. The Cirque inside zipper body can potentially contact bare skin if wearing a t-shirt. (cold to touch), but otherwise no issue. I prefer the Cirque pit zips because there’s nothing more annoying than after dumping heat you’re struggling to zip them back up without taking off the jacket or fiddling for 5 minutes to get them closed. I have several KUIU jackets/puffy with pit zips and it always seems like a hassle. The Cirque pit zips go down about 2.5” further than the Kenai

Fitment- I’m 5’11 168 pounds with an athletic build.
The Cirque fits tighter in the torso than the Kenai. The Kenai offers a bit more room to add a mid-layer whereas the Cirque would be tight, so a base layer might have to be it… granted the Cirque will be warmer (more insulation). The Cirque has a slightly longer tail.

Collar- The Kenai is definitely shorter, so if you don’t like a mouthful of zipper (unless you have a long neck), don’t get the Cirque. I run warm, so I highly doubt I’ll ever have it zipped up that high anyways, unless I’m glassing off a very cold/windy peak.

For around town- If you’re the type to wear this jacket everywhere, then in my opinion go with the Kenai. The chest stitching on the Cirque is very unappealing and boxy looking, plus the pocket placement rides high (for those packs). The Cirque is also longer in the torso.

I didn’t test water resistance, but feel the Cirque will do a slightly better job since the face fabric seems in my opinion to be a little stronger.

I think the Kenai’s insulation if highly water resistant like their video depicts and it’s water resistant face fabric might be overall better in wet conditions since the insulation supposedly won’t hold water as in it being somewhat water phobic. Obviously I can’t attest to this.

In summary… honestly these are both great jackets. I can see myself using both, but the Kenai is lighter and since it has less insulation (I run warm) I may use it a little more than the Cirque. I would definitely use the Kenai more around town (not hunting), than the Cirque. The Cirque to me is mainly suited for, well… hunting.

Hope this helps you guys out.
This is good, lots of solid details - your summary is spot on, for a lot of late season hunting, the Cirque is perhaps better, depends on the person. I'll go ahead and say for me, with the cut/length etc, the Cirque is absolutely better wearing it under a pack. But your back can get hot since it has full insulation across the piece, and is not body mapped. That brings warmth at the expense of flexability. Not better, just different. I run cold so I like it. The collar doesn't work as well as the Dehavilland when zipped all the way up, unless you have the hood on.

Calling one better than the other in wet conditions is just conjecture unless you're using both in similar conditions. Unless you review gear for a living, or buy/sell stuff a lot, that's tough for normal folks. You give the caveat you could not attest to that, which is appreciated (and almost demanded on here, need to add that to the "I'm a rokslide addict" thread, ha). I've had them both wet and not been able to pick out signifant differences, to date, but that would take a good while for me to establish.

I'll add my kenai ultra hoody and SG Cirque aren't even close on fit, the Cirque is cut better to go over mid layers without being restrictive - but my kuiu jacket is older as well. The kuiu is more like a mid layer replacement, to me. The original Kenai was a bit larger/boxier in cut. The warmth is certainly a bump up with the Cirque.

moximouse

Lil-Rokslider
Huge fan of the pit zips on the cirque, I think that makes it the more versatile jacket. Agree that the back can get sweaty under a pack if it’s not extremely cold. I personally like the long torso/tail. Curious to see how durable it is in the long term, especially in the lower arms and elbows.