Jack of all trades

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Midwest whitetail hunter with 3 trips out west. 2 for 3 so far. 1 elk 1 mule deer 1 skunk job.

If I’m trying to make this an annual or every other year deal, would you pick one critter and one area and concertante on that?
Or just do whatever looks fun or you have a few points for., elk deer pronghorn whatever?

Not a trophy guy. Just like another set of horns on the wall and a full freezer.
Also, I’ve only got one person who I could count on to go with as a hunting partner.
So these could be solo trips as well.

I think from a logistics and travel pov, stick with one right?

Thanks Roksliders!

Michael54

WKR
If looking to up your odds of success then id say stick to one area and one animal. If looking for an overall experience id say hunt as many different states and animals as possible. I get just as excited hunting pheasant in sd as i do going for elk in montana.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
If you don’t drive by animals to get to another state with animals, you can probably get two tags in similar locations and spend more time hunting them both closer to home.

JFK

WKR
I go multiple animals in one state. Keep a rotation going so you’ve always got an iron in the fire. You could, of course, do the same thing in multiple states, but I like to keep things simple.

Midwest whitetail hunter with 3 trips out west. 2 for 3 so far. 1 elk 1 mule deer 1 skunk job.

If I’m trying to make this an annual or every other year deal, would you pick one critter and one area and concertante on that?
Or just do whatever looks fun or you have a few points for., elk deer pronghorn whatever?

Not a trophy guy. Just like another set of horns on the wall and a full freezer.
Also, I’ve only got one person who I could count on to go with as a hunting partner.
So these could be solo trips as well.

I think from a logistics and travel pov, stick with one right?

Thanks Roksliders!
Depends on your goals. Me personally, I would do what ever looks fun/travel around.

WCB

WKR
I hunt multiple states and multiple species almost every year. Going to the same spot for the same animals is probably a better formula for success...however, there is a lot of country to see and IMO a lot more fun doing something "different". I basically have a rotation and hunt the same areas when I get a tag for that species or state but not every year if that makes sense.

I’ve pretty much decided that in all my endeavors I’ll never be the best. I’m ok with that. I’ve got buddies that are phenomenal trout fisherman but could care less about tarpon. I’ve fished out of 12’ gheenoe in farm ponds and a 26’ regulator for yellowfin. If you really want to get great at something you need to commit to it- no distractions. I’m just not that guy. I’d rather have new adventures, new researching, new puzzles to figure out. I say go on the hunts that you want to do, and if you want to do them again then do them again- not that hard. I see no reason to box yourself in to one philosophy. Some guys will spend a lifetime learning one piece of land for whitetail like the back of there hand, other’s never hunt the same place twice. Do what brings you the most enjoyment.

mmayter9

FNG
I think it's more on personal opinion and how you feel about your hunts like others have said. For me, I would rather focus on one area and learn that area. I wouldn't mind hunting out in a different region but I'd like it best being back at my home hunt spot where I've invested my time in. Of course a lot of factors come into play so it depends on what, when, where, and how too.

sram9102

WKR
I think if you have a solid guy or group start planning your hunts so you get to go together. I have been to ID a few times and always was able to get 2 or 3 tags for the same unit. I don't know with how their system has been the last few years if that is an option going forward. We have started collecting points so was can plan to go on hunts together. The camaraderie of spending 7-10 days with a few of my best buddies chasing critters is worth going anywhere we can go together. Different animals different states. We're whitetail hunters from Indiana. We will chase elk and mulies anywhere.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm a Midwest guy. First few years I was all about one area and mastering it for elk. Now I'm more about just getting tags to hunt anywhere I can in the west. My only goal is avoiding OTC tags when I can.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk