IT'S HERE! (Bikini+DT2) - and I have questions...

OP
N

Nordic

FNG
I have NO DOUBT that the pack will work fine when it's on my back fully compressed and with all straps closed. That's not the issue here.
The issue is mainly when using it as a daypack, putting it on and off and stuff in and out of the pack. Lifting it from the ground and move it a few yards, lifting it in and out of the car, walking a short distance without closing the waistbelt and so on. You can't do that with the pack uncompressed without "issues". I just want it to act like ONE UNIT and not two separate units. I don't think it's just aesthetics.
This is just my personal opinion because I use a pack several days a week and not only on a long distance backpacking trip from point A to B.
It's not something I can't fix myself, but wasn't expecting to tie a new pack together with paracord... It would have been nice if Kifaru had sent 2 quick-clips/z-clips or 3 bars with the bag. I won't use paracord in this case, but I will try to remove the larger 3 bars from the waistbelt pockets and use them so I can attach/detach the bag more easily than with paracord.
For those ordering this combo, there is only 2 quick-clips, 3 bars needed because it's only those two loops on the bottom of the bag that can be used as far as I can see. There is no loops along the side that is in the same place. I think the 2 bottom points will be enough to put the frame and bag together.
I will update on how it goes with the 3 bars.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Nordic,

No need to do any of that. I only showed the paracord idea to give examples of what I have done.

I will call you when I get to the office and we'll get you hooked up.

OP
N

Nordic

FNG
Ok, thanks Aron.
I have already done some experimenting. :eek:
Well, I have removed the larger 3 bar sliders from the waist belt pocket since I don't need them there.
I cut the middle bar, removed it, removed sharp edges from cutting, slide them on the loops at the bottom of the bag and frame, and then slide them together.
Yes, it would be easier with the quick-clips, but I think these are much stronger.
Se images below when it's finished. The first image is from before adding the 3 bar sliders.

20130412_MG_1646.jpg

20130413_MG_1647.jpg

20130413_MG_1648.jpg

I used to hook the bottom of mine. I honesty think the easiest way to do it on the DT series is to remove the male buckle on the bottom compression straps and feed it back through the attachment points on the frame. Then route it back up like it supposed to be. Then you can loosen and tighten the attachment as you need. No clips to buy, paracord rigging, or 3 bars needed. Looks clean.

THAT SAID... I kind of feel this thread is much ado about nothing. I never mess with hooking the bottom on mine any more. I have dt3 and 1 and use them basically empty for day stuff and shed hunting a lot and it doesn't make a difference. Even when moving the bag when its on the ground it is not an issue. It seems like once you actually use the bag you will understand better.

Joe