Italy/ Europe

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Mind sharing some of the rivers that you've targeted for trout so far? I've recently moved to Southern Germany and still sorting out a few things but the licensing requirements are not my favorite. We're planning trips to northern Italy in the near future. For 'hunting' however I have found fun with a slingshot and the abundant farmlands.
Any river Trentino-Alto-Adige, that I have cast a fly in, has proven to have an abundant population. I learned not think too hard about it over the past few months. The tricky part is access and navigating the permitting system. As best I can tell, the rivers themselves are public. The rights to control fishing privileges on those rivers belong to a multitude of amateur angler associations. Those associations can choose to sell permits to non-members that allows permission to fish their concession but does not grant access through private property. Most everything is private property so you have to ask permission to park and access the rivers, unless you access it from a national park or reserve. Generally, if you can find a spot to park your vehicle, you can access a river from there and not be bothered. I have asked permission to park and fish multiple times and I haven’t been turned away to date. “Passo parcheggiare qui per pescare”…”may I park here to fish?”