Is WY DIY a true proposition?

Rob5589

WKR
4 pts, looking at this year (hopefully). I've found everything from, it's an easy diy; really need private for a decent hunt; you can diy but it's difficult; hire an outfitter. Having a difficult time discerning what my true options are. Any insight from the crew? Memes allowed and encouraged :cool:

Guess I should add, looking to shoot a buck. Doe/fawn can be an addition.

cfdjay

WKR
Agree with all of the above but basically all of your "options" could be true depending on what you're looking to get out of it. Bowhunt? Rifle? Just like any DIY hunt you'll have to put forth a little effort.

Rich M

WKR
Diy antelope is very doable and fun.

Call and talk w local GW. I did that. Was told to come on out that id have a good chance and not to overthink it. Felt better knowing that and got 2.

Once you get there and drive the unit you will understand so much that seems uncertain right now.

DIY is a piece of cake for antelope. Like others said, pick a unit with decent public access and go hunt. Practice shooting 3-400 yards. I’ve only killed 2, one at less than 50 yards and one at a touch less than 400.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Really great stuff guys, appreciate the feedback. With the potential changes, I'm thinking it's a good idea to go ahead and use my points. Plan on doing rifle to increase my chances.

Jimss

WKR
One consideration is how much public land is available. Generally speaking the more public land in prime antelope country it takes more pts to draw. Units with better draw odds likely have less public and likely a bit more hunting pressure concentrated on the little public land that is available.

Another consideration is winterkill and possibly other factors like EHD have had on local populations. Antelope numbers throughout Wyo are a fraction of what they were a few years ago. If antelope numbers are down unit tag quotas may be cut. There haven't been many units the past 3 to 5 years where quotas have increased and there has been more and more nonres hunters applying. If special price tags increase and 90/10 or 90/5/5 ever happens it may change draw odds in the coming years.

Keep your fingers crossed this winter is ok.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
One consideration is how much public land is available. Generally speaking the more public land in prime antelope country it takes more pts to draw. Units with better draw odds likely have less public and likely a bit more hunting pressure concentrated on the little public land that is available.

Another consideration is winterkill and possibly other factors like EHD have had on local populations. Antelope numbers throughout Wyo are a fraction of what they were a few years ago. If antelope numbers are down unit tag quotas may be cut. There haven't been many units the past 3 to 5 years where quotas have increased and there has been more and more nonres hunters applying. If special price tags increase and 90/10 or 90/5/5 ever happens it may change draw odds in the coming years.

Keep your fingers crossed this winter is ok.
Depending on areas, winter has been tough. We actually have seen antelope bed and never get up here on our road.
Lots of snow and cold this winter.
They generally fair pretty well weather wise, compared to animals at higher elevation.

Yes, numbers are a fraction of what they were 3-4 years ago in most areas. Probably at 25% or less of what was here 10 years ago in some areas. Just from my observations here.

That being said, there are still antelope out there, so I wouldn't throw in the towel.

Wrader36

FNG
My group has hunted antelope 6 out of the last 8 years. We decided hunting antelope is more fun than not, so we have chosen to hunt low point units. Antelope might be "easier" then other hunts, but don't forget it is still hunting...We've had two years where our group didn't tag out(mostly from decision making) and a couple years we had to hunt really hard. I constantly look at draw odds, and 4 points definitely doesn't get what it used to. I would suggest the special draw if you can, if not you should still have a pretty decent hunt.

My perception is that it's 'easy enough' I'm taking my 8 y/o boy to tag along this year. Never done it so I could be wrong. I've always seen plenty of antelope driving around in WY and MT. I think the higher point units have bigger bucks, but not necessarily more of them.

Our plan is to kill one early and then go fishing and dirt biking.

WKR

WKR
Bring a good quality spotter if you want to get picky on the size of your buck

I shouldn't say it, but I don't care at this point. A unit with limited public land wouldn't stop me. My daughter killed 4 bucks with a rifle, and I killed 2 with a bow from the same unit that had limited public land. Very easy hunt for kids and like taking candy from a baby if you're and adult.

Good Luck and have fun.

Laramie

WKR
4 pts, looking at this year (hopefully). I've found everything from, it's an easy diy; really need private for a decent hunt; you can diy but it's difficult; hire an outfitter. Having a difficult time discerning what my true options are. Any insight from the crew? Memes allowed and encouraged :cool:

Guess I should add, looking to shoot a buck. Doe/fawn can be an addition.
Antelope DIY is easy in areas with access and a decent population. After this winter there are going to be a few less areas that fit that definition. It would be good to wait until quotas come out this spring to make a decision.

Guided antelope isn't necessary but it can be very fun and stress free. The biggest reason to go this route, imo, is to gain good private access in easier to draw areas. There are also a few things a guy can pick up from a good guided hunt that may take a bit to learn on your own. If money isn't a concern, this isn't a bad route to go imo.

Mojave

WKR
Two reasons to go guided, primarily to have the ability to hunt more land, as stated above.

The second reason is to ensure a higher probability of getting a tag.