Is the Kuiu Axis system to much for NWT Aug 23 to Sep 8

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
My big three hunt in NWT starts Aug 23. I have the Guide jacket and Attack pant ready to go but just picked up the axis pant and jacket on the Kuiu sale last week. I think I want to switch to the Axis system for wind and water protection. And they don't seem any heavier than the Guide and attack pant. Is the Axis system too much?

This will certainly be subjective to personal preference. Whether you sweat a lot, run hot or cold.

I would've loved the Axis pants in caribou camp (or moose). But I wouldn't want to wear them going after sheep. I don't think the jacket would've worked for me in the NWT. I needed a puffy with dedicated rain gear.

My guide from last year was going with Axis pants this year. He despises wet feet and wet pants.

I wore Pro pants climbing for sheep and had Attack pants as a backup. I ended up staying in Caribou camp for most of my hunt and would've preferred the Talus pant there.

Also thought to add...
Soft shell jackets get overlooked on rokslide due to puffy/rain gear combo being preferred for backpackers. I'm one of them.

But there were NWT guides running the Kuiu Guide jacket completely ragged. Never took them off.

walleyes

FNG
If you are going to be sheep hunting the axis pants are to heavy for me. With a good base layer and the hip vents the attack pants work well to cover a variety of conditions. I use the axis pant after mid sept.

Guide/ axis jacket is heavy and takes up a lot of space for what it is. Backpack sheep hunt I would use something else. Raft moose hunt it is great.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I went on the same hunt and dates you are going on. I would sell the guide and axis jackets and get a Yukon. Thats the only shell you need. Then take your goose down jacket and some mid and base layers.

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I went on the same hunt and dates you are going on. I would sell the guide and axis jackets and get a Yukon. Thats the only shell you need. Then take your goose down jacket and some mid and base layers.
Hi Doc, I already have the Chugach. Is that adequate?

907SHEEP

FNG
I want to answer my own question. Just got back from 12 days in NWT. The Axis System is way to heavy.....
All you need is attack pant, down jacket and and a rain coat which doubles as a wind break

Love that you circled back on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to answer my own question. Just got back from 12 days in NWT. The Axis System is way to heavy.....
All you need is attack pant, down jacket and and a rain coat which doubles as a wind break
What were your temps? I'm debating this very thing currently as a normal set for September elk camp but double it as a cold weather set with base layers.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I was there in sept and love the axis system. I think up in the mountains it'll be good to have. I'll be taking that on my sheep hunt this year. Easy to shed the jacket and just wear under layers. Might take attack pants just in case. Axis is a solid system though. Some of my favorite pieces.