Is the BT3 a terrible choice for a 1st pack?

I feel somewhat bad for Aron.....same questions. Like asking Metallica to play "Enter Sandman" one more time.

I've been lusting after a KPack for over a decade. I was able to run an Express pack for over a year pretty extensively. Loved the pack. I used it several times for timed rucks with 35lb min. Used it for Land Nav classes and possibly overnighted out of it on 1 time. No pods or pockets. Was a loaner. They eventually wanted it back. Property card issue:mad:

Out of all the Kifaru packs, I've been drawn to the Duplex Timberline 3 since they came out. But mostly for Eye Appeal. Seems slim and trim enough to be nimble and unobtrusive. A good 1-3 day rambling pack. At this point I don't think I've been out for more than 4 days. Usually the best weather of spring, summer and early fall. From Bear Hatch til October. 7,000ft and under so far.

I am NOT into elk hunting at all. I'm a Bear Fanatic. And would like to see more High Country. Would like to get into some nice Mule deer too.

I've saved for a pack and burned the money on a rifle, a scope, new bows, dogs, and stuff soooo many times Dave Ramsey would kick my ass.

Would like to swing at a BT3 now in MC while there is a small savings.

I've burned out my eyes on the iPhone watching 117 videos of Aron and packs. Still no closer. Sure it's a great pack and I could dump it after a season and not lose much if I wanted to switch. Just like to get it right the 1st time. The GIF is saying "Go Big just one time with the BT2 and never need another pack for life".

I am concerned over hauling meat and capes. Not the weight, but the "where". Already have a meat baggy and thinking I've seen a vid of letting the pack bag have some space away from the frame and running the tubular meat baggy twixt the stays on the pack with pack bag compressing and a "shelf" of some sort? But I've not found that one recently.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bt2 for sale in classifieds. I always tend to error on bigger is better the weight penalty is minor

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Jesse, I can throw the BT3 in the truck. I will be in North Spokane on Thursday if you want to see it.

I have a bt3 and it worked pretty good for me. But I take way less then most guys. I'm probably going to get a nomad for this year.

Jon Boy

WKR
I am NOT into elk hunting at all. I'm a Bear Fanatic. And would like to see more High Country.

So there are other people like this... My hunting partner is the same, zero interest in hunting anything but those dam bears haha Never have understood it.

If I were you I'd get the Bikini with the nomad.

OP
J
I work in the outdoors. We have few elk where I reside but they are not too terribly hard for me to find. I can't walk into a bull at any given time, but I know where they are. I'd rather see a boar bear with a crease in his head. Guess I'm 3/4 qweer...

I've watched over half of Aron's new Nomad vids too. Trying very hard to warm up to it, but it's taking some effort

So there are other people like this... My hunting partner is the same, zero interest in hunting anything but those dam bears haha Never have understood it.

If I were you I'd get the Bikini with the nomad.

I LOVE bear hunting and it is the by far the animal that I have taken the most of. That being said anyone who says they have no interest in elk, has never been 30 yards away from a bull elk so fired up he's going insane. Those anger bugles get me amped like nothing else on this earth.

Jon Boy

WKR
I LOVE bear hunting and it is the by far the animal that I have taken the most of. That being said anyone who says they have no interest in elk, has never been 30 yards away from a bull elk so fired up he's going insane. Those anger bugles get me amped like nothing else on this earth.

Trust me my buddy is the same way lol the most painful moment of his life was missing a beautiful boar in the bitterroot. He was borderline tearing up haha

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I used the BT3 on a few extended trips last season, I like it for 1-3 days max After that it feels small, and doesn't have the room I liked to have when carrying more food. I still use it a ton for day hunts and short trips, but have since upgraded to the high camp 7000 for longer trips.

I'd go nomad, small light weight, but with the bat wing design you can strap some large stuff to it. Or go BT2 or High Camp 4800, both have a larger opening when pulling gear out and both have a bottom zipper for access to gear in the bottom of your pack.

Two big things I didn't like about my BT3 for longer trips, the opening is pretty small and makes it difficult to remove things like my 15* down bag when it's stuffed at the bottom. Along those lines, there isn't a lower zipper access for my sleeping bag either. And definitely not enough room to haul a bear and your camp without pockets or maybe a cargo panel.

Good Luck.

I have a bt3 and it worked pretty good for me. But I take way less then most guys. I'm probably going to get a nomad for this year.

I too pack very minimalist and lightweight. The BT3 is fantastic for my purposes (mostly mule deer) for up to a week. If I wanted to elk hunt, though, I'd probably have to get a bigger pack.

Just a thought, could you use the BT3 with the removable load shelf that Kifaru came out with when they announced the Highcamp last year? I'm assuming if you could use it for the BT3 then it would also work with the BT2 and BT1 too?