Is Ag Good or Bad for Mule Deer Fawn Survival?

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
So fences are the problem really. Would be interesting if you could isolate agriculture from fences and see what effect the grocery store has.

We need to continue to push for wildlife friendly fencing and removing fencing when not necessary.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So fences are the problem really. Would be interesting if you could isolate agriculture from fences and see what effect the grocery store has.

We need to continue to push for wildlife friendly fencing and removing fencing when not necessary.
yes, fence improvements are always a win.

I'd guess the Ag only/no fences route would fix her mortality problem, and she did indicate this research was NOT definitive.

Thanks for chiming in.

AHayes111

FNG
I have to believe that deer in the WY herd are effected more than most other herds. There is always a chance that a deer will get caught in a fence, but fawns like those in the WY herd likely are seeing a fence for the first time in their life when they migrate and have zero experience on how to navigate a successful crossing. Deer that grow up around fences on the other hand probably have fences figured out very early in life and less of a chance of getting caught.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have to believe that deer in the WY herd are effected more than most other herds. There is always a chance that a deer will get caught in a fence, but fawns like those in the WY herd likely are seeing a fence for the first time in their life when they migrate and have zero experience on how to navigate a successful crossing. Deer that grow up around fences on the other hand probably have fences figured out very early in life and less of a chance of getting caught.
I'd guess it's more related to the sheer number of fences they have to cross in a long migration path coupled with the fact that they only see each fence 2x a year, so they can't habituate around the easiest crossing.

Probably worth noting that in this herd, "ag" is not probably what folks are traditionally thinking. Agriculture that the Wyoming Range herd crosses is mostly native grass hayfields and cattle pastures, and not the traditionally thought of highly nutritious crops that you might see in a lot of places (probably not even much for alfalfa). Deer don't really eat grass, so they likely aren't getting huge calorie boosts through the "ag" lands either.

Definitely a lot of nuance to Tayler's findings here, but hopefully it generates good conversations, and not defensiveness on either side. Game and Fish is definitely targeting fencing improvements and removals through these areas, but this should make us put the gas pedal down a little harder.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Probably worth noting that in this herd, "ag" is not probably what folks are traditionally thinking. Agriculture that the Wyoming Range herd crosses is mostly native grass hayfields and cattle pastures, and not the traditionally thought of highly nutritious crops that you might see in a lot of places (probably not even much for alfalfa). Deer don't really eat grass, so they likely aren't getting huge calorie boosts through the "ag" lands either.

Definitely a lot of nuance to Tayler's findings here, but hopefully it generates good conversations, and not defensiveness on either side. Game and Fish is definitely targeting fencing improvements and removals through these areas, but this should make us put the gas pedal down a little harder.
hey man, thanks for chiming in on the ag types, always good to hear from a "local".

TaperPin

WKR
This is completely off topic of ag fence, but I goes to show a lot of overlap in the mental capacity of a country kid and a deer that misjudges fences.

The rural areas are getting full of well of folks who want to keep deer off their grass and install this exact type of fence. What it does is snag the stupid ones that try to jump it and fall short, like some weird Game of Thrones scene. A coworker and I saw a deer jump off a hard packed snow pile, get hung up, and it wasn’t getting off there by herself, so I reminded the city kid with me to not get kicked (duh) and we got up to the 6’ fence with her legs going 100 miles per hour right at eyeball level. Putting two hands on her waist/abs from both sides like we were consummating a marriage, a few good pushes and over she went.

I forget how city kids have never been kicked by anything other than a golden retriever, and in the heat of the moment my helper started to get more under her for better leverage and took a hoof. I had no idea because the muscle and sinew in both hands had my complete attention. Thank god she didn’t get him square in the face, or it might have been lights out. Lol

There’s an old doe out there telling this exact story from her perspective. . . “And then the tall one was looking at the mommy parts giving me a sexy look so I kicked the schitt out of him. . .” :)

3863FD4F-4F5C-4B5B-A1B0-33AB74ECCAA2.jpeg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is completely off topic of ag fence, but I goes to show a lot of overlap in the mental capacity of a country kid and a deer that misjudges fences.

The rural areas are getting full of well of folks who want to keep deer off their grass and install this exact type of fence. What it does is snag the stupid ones that try to jump it and fall short, like some weird Game of Thrones scene. A coworker and I saw a deer jump off a hard packed snow pile, get hung up, and it wasn’t getting off there by herself, so I reminded the city kid with me to not get kicked (duh) and we got up to the 6’ fence with her legs going 100 miles per hour right at eyeball level. Putting two hands on her waist/abs from both sides like we were consummating a marriage, a few good pushes and over she went.

I forget how city kids have never been kicked by anything other than a golden retriever, and in the heat of the moment my helper started to get more under her for better leverage and took a hoof. I had no idea because the muscle and sinew in both hands had my complete attention. Thank god she didn’t get him square in the face, or it might have been lights out. Lol

There’s an old doe out there telling this exact story from her perspective. . . “And then the tall one was looking at the mommy parts giving me a sexy look so I kicked the schitt out of him. . .” :)

View attachment 723873
"..Putting two hands on her waist/abs from both sides like we were consummating a marriage, a few good pushes and over she went..."

best post on the thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thanks for saving a deer.