Is a 5" suppressor perfect for the 22CM?

I was planning on a 6ARC for the wife and now I am thinking a 22CM may be the ticket for her. She will mostly just hunt deer and I have a 6CM if I felt she needed a little more for elk. If I go with the 22CM would a shorter suppressor be the ticket on a lighter cartridge like this or is it a may as well go with a 6"ish anyway situation? I currently have an Ultra 7 and a Hyperion K on the 6CM and a 7 PRC but I would like to have a dedicated can for each rifle so plan to add one. I thought of getting a Scythe Ti for the 7PRC and moving the K to the wife's 6ARC or 22CM when purchased. Is that the best option?

What’s your goal? Sound at shooters ear or muzzle? Price? Weight?

I’m debating the same issue for my 22creed/223. You’ll want a dedicated 5.56/6mm can for best performance. I have an OCL polonium 5.56 coming but I’m looking real hard at a PTR Vent 3.

OP
MuleyFever
What’s your goal? Sound at shooters ear or muzzle? Price? Weight?

I’m debating the same issue for my 22creed/223. You’ll want a dedicated 5.56/6mm can for best performance. I have an OCL polonium 5.56 coming but I’m looking real hard at a PTR Vent 3.
The goal would be sufficient sound suppression to not ring ears and decent reduce felt recoil at minimal weight/length.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive been around the sandman K and thunderbeast Ultra 5, and neither was pleasent enough for me to consider a 5" can ever.

enticer Sti or Silencerco Scythe are a couple examples all off the top of my head that I'd consider when looking for shortest/lightest cans

Shotgunman28

FNG
Classified Approved
Get you an AB Warthog shot a few totes today at 30-50 yards didn’t know what was happening or where I was at even though I was right in front of them.

OP
MuleyFever
Ive been around the sandman K and thunderbeast Ultra 5, and neither was pleasent enough for me to consider a 5" can ever.

enticer Sti or Silencerco Scythe are a couple examples all off the top of my head that I'd consider when looking for shortest/lightest cans
On what cartridges were you around those short cans?

I don’t have anything to compare it too, but I recently got a griffin explorer 224 and it sounds great on my 223. I believe their hub mount version of that can is at or under 6”.

wesfromky

WKR
If you are going to go with K length, it is best if you get something the has the same bore as what you are shooting. Wolf hunter is one that is on my list at some point. The shorter the can, the more the bore size comes into play.

Awaiting a yhm fat cat to clear prison currently, 4.25 oal i believe, 2" diameter. Gonna go on my 16" ar15 & 20" ruger american.

Full auto rated too!

axeforce6

WKR
I shoot several cans on my 22cm. I have a saker 556k that I ordered specifically for it. It does a pretty good job. I compared it to the my omega 300 and Scythe Ti. It’s not as quiet but shooting coyotes in a field it does a great job.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
On what cartridges were you around those short cans?
22 creed was the Sandman K. Don't remember what the Ultra5 was on, but it wasn't bigger than a 6.5 Creed

I did not shoot these guns, so maybe it is quieter to the shooter?

waspocrew

WKR
In my experience, short cans don’t suppress to the level of safe shooting by any means. They tone the report down quite a bit, but you’ll notice it after a couple shots. I’ve had experience with the Ultra 5 and Gunwerks 6ix.

Ultra 7 or could go Dominus for a slightly shorter but fatter can.

Lawnboi

WKR
My 16” is loud even with the ultra 7 on it.

The fact that it shoots a small bullet makes no difference. It sounds like any other short action standard bolt face cartridge.

Length of barrel will play a big role in the noise.

5” cans are not perfect for anything.

The best “short” can right now is the AB with the reflex mount. It has the extra volume needed for good suppression aft of the muzzle, thereby reducing OAL.