Iron will field points worth it?

SDHNTR

WKR
Wait, people pay extra money for fancy field points now? I’ve heard it all! Hahaha.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Wait, people pay extra money for fancy field points now? I’ve heard it all! Hahaha.
Sheesh tell me about it. I am new to do this and thought any little thing would give me an advantage lol. I'll learn slowly lol. Way me to make me feel bad! 😭😭😭😂😂😂😂😂

wapitibob

WKR
Shoot thru a target and hit a steel beam and you'll see the difference. Or, drop a Chinese pot metal point onto the concrete floor of the range....

ahlgringo

WKR
Shoot thru a target and hit a steel beam and you'll see the difference. Or, drop a Chinese pot metal point onto the concrete floor of the range....

Nah- they will both bend on a steel beam. Been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

entropy

FNG
😂 All good. I just found them they're much cheaper. The problem is had with the IW's is that the diameter of the field point is bigger than the shaft and its a 5mm shaft. I guess they do that to perfectly accommodate their shock collars. The bigger diameter makes them harder to pull out at close range though. Already bought them so can't send them back.
Hmmm... don't know about the IWs, but I haven't had problems with the Kudupoints being larger than shaft diameter; it's actually a benefit. The back side of the point is beveled, so while the FP makes a big hole as it goes in, the bevel helps you pull the arrow.

On micro or 204 shafts with outserts, I've had arrows get stuck badly in Bulldog-type targets if you use field points that are the same diameter as the outsert, because the back side of the outsert just gets hung up on something. When I went to the Kudupoint FPs, I stopped having that problem because the FP itself is larger diameter than the outsert, and the back-facing bevel doesn't get caught on whatever used to catch on the outsert lip.

Nothing is worth any more than what you are willing to pay. Having said that, I’m willing. I use them almost exclusively and have several dozen as I shoot 125, 150, and 200 grain heads on different bows.

I’ve never destroyed one, even on those horrible hits that smack rock, hardwoods, metal. They pull out of my targets way easier. And they all spin true.

I think they are worth the cost. But I’m only opening my wallet.

SDHNTR

WKR
Who cares if you destroy a field point? Throw it away and screw on another one for what? $0.20? I don’t understand this. Solving problems that aren’t problems.

rlsmith1

FNG
Older thread, just ordered an IW single (available through end of March) and picked up 6 field points too. My reasoning is twofold:

1. The matching drag profile makes sense to me (and I am hoping will give me consistent BH / FP accuracy to 100yds or so)
2. I'm running the Snyder variant so ensuring everything is the same inside the shaft (identical insert length) should give me less variation from bare shaft tune to BH tune

We will see!

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Older thread, just ordered an IW single (available through end of March) and picked up 6 field points too. My reasoning is twofold:

1. The matching drag profile makes sense to me (and I am hoping will give me consistent BH / FP accuracy to 100yds or so)
2. I'm running the Snyder variant so ensuring everything is the same inside the shaft (identical insert length) should give me less variation from bare shaft tune to BH tune

We will see!
Me and my buddy shot for quite a while yesterday. I was pulling his shots out as well as mine because I have a double d magnum arrow puller. I run IW field points he doesn't. My shots required about half the strength to pull out. I can easily pull them out with 1 hand and some of his sometimes required 2 hands or a really good pull. IW fields points are absolutely amazing and worth the cost in my opinion.

After buying a set, I think I regret it, strictly due to cost, pay for way cheaper field points and save the extra money towards actual broadheads, just my 2 cents, but to each their own.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
IW’s field points are pennies compared to some of the target points…Easton X10 Ballistic Tungsten break off points go for $290 a dozen on the Lancaster website.

MattB

WKR
Worth it? Not for me, not even close. I have a stash of PDP points I bought in the early 2000’s for ~$0.75/each which should last me my lifetime. The metal tip will smear a bit if you hit something really hard, but they still shoot just fine.

I have a set of the IW field points. The big annd only con for me is they aren’t cheap. However they are extremely durable and the shape allows for easier pull from targets and has saved me some arrows/nocks. Not sure how to describe it, but if you group close and hit the nock of an arrow The ball shape helps move around the arrow in the target rather than smashing through it. The traditional field point shape has broken more arrows for me. In this regard I will call it a wash on the cost.

Tilzbow

WKR
Not at all worth it to me. Gold Tip and X-Spot each have easy pull field points with similar designs at 30% - 50% the cost if that’s something I’m interested in for 3D. A quick search on Lancaster turned up a couple of other options with the same feature, too. I don‘t really need a durable field point since I might damage one every 1,000+ shots and 30 seconds with a file will normally get it back in shape or if it’s too badly damaged I’ll screw on another $.50 point. The “fluid dynamic modeling” is likely nothing more than marketing hype.

Last edited: