Iron Will Bleeders

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone besides me wish Iron Will would offer wider bleeders? For whitetails specifically where an iron will zips through them so easily, I wish they'd offer a little wider bleeder blade. Might be different for bigger game, but I'd trade a slight reduction of penetration (in theory) for a wider cut. I love the wides for whitetails, just wish I could have wider bleeders to pair with them.

Are you using IW standard blades or are you using the the Wide versions? The 1.375" main blade is plenty wide

Both...I like the Wide's for whitetail.
So what you're saying is that the IW Wides aren't wide enough???? Cuz those bleeders (as i understand it) are there to prevent the wound from closing up easily. While they do aid in causing damage, your main blade is whats doing the damage.

DO you think that maybe... just maybe the edge retention through the animal is fooling you into thinking you're getting too much penetration?

Interested in trying some Iron Will's. Stuck between the wide series and the single bevel. Seems like they build a quality product.

OP
S

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
So what you're saying is that the IW Wides aren't wide enough???? Cuz those bleeders (as i understand it) are there to prevent the wound from closing up easily. While they do aid in causing damage, your main blade is whats doing the damage.

DO you think that maybe... just maybe the edge retention through the animal is fooling you into thinking you're getting too much penetration?
I don't think I'm getting too much penetration...I'm just saying that because of the edge retention and the sharpness you have more room to add cutting surface.

Solid has different choices in bleeders. However, IW is a much better head it quality.

Marble

WKR
I don't think I'm getting too much penetration...I'm just saying that because of the edge retention and the sharpness you have more room to add cutting surface.
Sort of, if you listen to Bill from Iron will discuss how he came up with the head, it's what he believes is the perfect combination of strength, accuracy, edge retention and profile. Whenever one changes, it affects another. A wider head is great for a bigger cutting diameter, but it limits shots out past 40 (from what I recall Bill saying). It becomes noiser, and the bigger head produces more friction in the animal which could result in less penetration.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk