Interpupillary Distance & Binoculars: How to know?

OutdoorAg

WKR
If you know...you know.

Most likely you clicked this thread bc you're like me, and you have a short IPD (interpupillary distance). Yep, we got the short stick when it comes to the eye spacing. I can't comment on short issues anywhere else. Eyes only on this thread. Lol

But seriously...is there a way to know if a binocular will fit your eye spacing? Or do you just have to try em out?

I almost always have to bring the hinge in to a nearly closed position to get a clear picture. Some binos....no go all together.

So, short IPD guys: Is there anything do be done?

Specifically sucks for RF binos where the readout is canted bc I can't use the binos in whatever horizontal position the read out is set for.

Thoughts?

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
If you know your interpupillary distance, then check the specs for the optic you are interested in. Most should be published. Typically, the larger objective lenses increase the distance. I have a relatively short IP distance, but have never had a problem with porro prisms and only had a problem with roof prisms with very large objectives. This distance is very critical, especially for long periods of use. You can sometimes get by if you are close to the IP distance, but eye fatigue will set in if you are not on the mark. I like to go in too far in and come back out to the proper distance to make sure its correct.

I'm right there with you. I always pull the binos as close together as they'll go. Other than my wife and kids, every one who has used my binos pulls them apart.

I need more time with the new Swaro NLs, but just handling them quickly at the DSC Convention, I think some of the ergonomic benefits were lost on me once I minimized the IPD.

DJG1994

FNG
I'm in the same boat. I typically have my binos much closer together than everyone else, but my IPD (using the apps to measure) is still within the range of most specs on the lower end.

You can find the upper and lower IPD distance specs for binos online.

I don't know if it makes any difference regarding IPD distance, but I only use the eyecups entirely retracted and never pull them out, regardless if they're on a tripod or I'm using them freehand.

TheCougar

WKR
I had this problem. Measure your ipd. Every reputable bino manufacturer will give you specs. It was only a factor for me on 15s. Meopta, Zeiss, and Swarovski were the smallest ipd. It came down to the Zeiss and Swaro and I got the latter. No regrets

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
I can measure my IDP, and it may fall within the specs of the binoculars. But is there an optimal range?

From what I've found...even if my IDP is within the binoculars specs, it doesn't often lend to the best view or best hand hold.

Guess putting them to your face is the only way to know.

kurtiss00

FNG
If you know...you know.

Most likely you clicked this thread bc you're like me, and you have a short IPD (interpupillary distance). Yep, we got the short stick when it comes to the eye spacing. I can't comment on short issues anywhere else. Eyes only on this thread. Lol

But seriously...is there a way to know if a binocular will fit your eye spacing? Or do you just have to try em out?

I almost always have to bring the hinge in to a nearly closed position to get a clear picture. Some binos....no go all together.

So, short IPD guys: Is there anything do be done?

Specifically sucks for RF binos where the readout is canted bc I can't use the binos in whatever horizontal position the read out is set for.

Thoughts?
I recently "upgraded" my rangefinding/binocular setup fron seperate binocular and rangefinder setup to a single bino rangefinder. What I found out the hard way is that readouts will be severely slanted due to my narrow IPD. At first I thought it was a factory defect, but after returning first pair and observing the same thing on second pair, that it was just a function of how rangefinding binos work. I played with a inclinomter and found that the display could be +/- 10 or so degrees slanted depending on if your IDP was wide or narrow. I wish there was a way to adjust display angle. It annoys me because I survey things on occasion and seeing things out of true annoy me. That said I now recognize limitations of the system and accept them due to other benefits of all in one system.