Interarms 7mm rem mag/whitworth actions

A-Brakke

FNG
Hey guys,

My mentor Bill just passed away unfortunately, he was a gun nut and avid hunter. Two months later a man showed up at my door with this rifle he used on many of our hunts. I was tickled to hear he had willed it to me. I’d like to find out more about it other than he used it on many of our hunts…. barrel twist and any other info so I can start working up loads. Would like to hammer my elk this year so I can take a picture and send it to his wife.

Rifle: Interarms 7mm Rem Mag Whitworth Action.

Action/barrel: Mauser style action manufactured in Manchester england I believe imported and sold through Interarms out of Virginia. Whitworth is stamped on action. (All info is off the rifle)

Stock: looks to be original style stock but custom made.

All help appreciated, would love to know more for when it goes to my 3 year old son.

Attachments

• F9E60CBD-7F3E-4310-8613-141A9AEF2AEB.jpeg
    F9E60CBD-7F3E-4310-8613-141A9AEF2AEB.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 52
  • E8E68AF3-12DD-490F-B19C-A839A5B4F78E.jpeg
    E8E68AF3-12DD-490F-B19C-A839A5B4F78E.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2DAA504F-75F0-4478-97A4-7158D01E6CD3.jpeg
    2DAA504F-75F0-4478-97A4-7158D01E6CD3.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 46

Wapiti1

WKR
Interesting rifle. Sorry to hear about your friends passing.

Here is what I can tell you about the rifle, but, I'll caution this is just from the photos, so is a little speculative.

The barreled action looks a stock Whitworth Mauser. Those actions were made by Zastava in Yugoslavia and imported to England where the stocks were installed (not the stock you have, though, I'll get to that in a second). Assembly allowed them to be marked Manchester, England, and they were then imported by Interarms of Alexandria, VA. Iron sights were installed on a few variations, and stock styles varied from classic to Monte Carlo. 7mm Mag barrels would have been 1:10 twist. But, you can check this with a cleaning rod, tape, and ruler. All of the ones that I've worked with were accurate and great rifles.

The action is the same as offered on the Interarms Mark X and now Zastava M70 rifles, but the Whitworth variant tended to be more well finished. Mark X actions are often over polished. Whitworths are nicer actions. All were faithful Mauser 98 copies with sporter features like the commercial FN actions.

If the barrel is original, the caliber marking will be in script and not block letters. Block letters would indicate a custom barrel, so the above twist could be wrong. There should also be proofs on the bottom of the barrel stamped near the action. A custom barrel will have no proofs, but might have a makers name on the bottom side.

The stock on that one looks like a Winslow or Harry Lawson design. If it is a Winslow or Lawson, you have something unique and worth something. To me, it really has the lines of a Lawson. To check, pull the action and look for a makers mark in at the flat of the recoil lug in the stock, or a mark in the barrel channel. The last place to look is under the butt pad. I am not sure if they marked their stocks. Lawson was known for thumbhole stocks. Harry has passed on, but Randy, his son was still making rifles a few years ago. Might check and see, they were in Tucson. Winslow is long gone, but they made some really unique rifles. Theirs tended to be more gaudy, and yours is tame for a Winslow, but still possible. Google Winslow Rifles.

It's a good grade of English walnut, and probably looks great in person. Neat rifle from the late 60's or 70's.

Jeremy

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG

Here is what I can tell you about the rifle, but, I'll caution this is just from the photos, so is a little speculative.

The barreled action looks a stock Whitworth Mauser. Those actions were made by Zastava in Yugoslavia and imported to England where the stocks were installed (not the stock you have, though, I'll get to that in a second). Assembly allowed them to be marked Manchester, England, and they were then imported by Interarms of Alexandria, VA. Iron sights were installed on a few variations, and stock styles varied from classic to Monte Carlo. 7mm Mag barrels would have been 1:10 twist. But, you can check this with a cleaning rod, tape, and ruler. All of the ones that I've worked with were accurate and great rifles.

The action is the same as offered on the Interarms Mark X and now Zastava M70 rifles, but the Whitworth variant tended to be more well finished. Mark X actions are often over polished. Whitworths are nicer actions. All were faithful Mauser 98 copies with sporter features like the commercial FN actions.

If the barrel is original, the caliber marking will be in script and not block letters. Block letters would indicate a custom barrel, so the above twist could be wrong. There should also be proofs on the bottom of the barrel stamped near the action. A custom barrel will have no proofs, but might have a makers name on the bottom side.

The stock on that one looks like a Winslow or Harry Lawson design. If it is a Winslow or Lawson, you have something unique and worth something. To me, it really has the lines of a Lawson. To check, pull the action and look for a makers mark in at the flat of the recoil lug in the stock, or a mark in the barrel channel. The last place to look is under the butt pad. I am not sure if they marked their stocks. Lawson was known for thumbhole stocks. Harry has passed on, but Randy, his son was still making rifles a few years ago. Might check and see, they were in Tucson. Winslow is long gone, but they made some really unique rifles. Theirs tended to be more gaudy, and yours is tame for a Winslow, but still possible. Google Winslow Rifles.

It's a good grade of English walnut, and probably looks great in person. Neat rifle from the late 60's or 70's.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Wow, what a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate you taking the time to break everything down and explain. The caliber markings are in script as you mentioned, so that’s awesome to know the barrel is original. I’ll separate it now as I’m extremely eager to know all the details. I’ll update you in a few once I’m able to verify the stock.

Andrew

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG

Jeremy
So it’s bedded in their extremely snug. It will take a little more time for me to take it out without prying to much. That said I believe it’s a Winslow based on what I’ve found. Here is a Winslow with the same exact stock.

Attachments

• 57B6097E-CDA8-4177-872F-100D0B12843F.png
    57B6097E-CDA8-4177-872F-100D0B12843F.png
    386.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
I can't tell you anything about it, but that is a beautiful rifle!
Thanks rockchuck! I’ve always been a it’s a tool it’s meant to be used guy. I find myself struggling with this one. Gonna mount a real basic leupold 4x12x50 on it and use it for those sunny day mule deer/antelope hunts where I won’t have to drag it through the thick timber. Save the 300 mesa for bushwackin.

Wapiti1

WKR
So it’s bedded in their extremely snug. It will take a little more time for me to take it out without prying to much. That said I believe it’s a Winslow based on what I’ve found. Here is a Winslow with the same exact stock.
Take a look at the style line that runs up the forearm. Winslow kept the forearm squared off with no style line, or with a slight bump out at the bottom. That is what makes me think Lawson since I've never seen a rounded Winslow (my sample size isn't huge, though). Lawson did more stylizing with the fore end and checkering wasn't standard. Winslow's are usually skip line, ribbon checkered, or carved.

That said, they weren't the only two that made stocks with the exaggerated roll over, and grip. Whoever did it looks to have been skilled at any rate.

Jeremy

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
Take a look at the style line that runs up the forearm. Winslow kept the forearm squared off with no style line, or with a slight bump out at the bottom. That is what makes me think Lawson since I've never seen a rounded Winslow (my sample size isn't huge, though). Lawson did more stylizing with the fore end and checkering wasn't standard. Winslow's are usually skip line, ribbon checkered, or carved.

That said, they weren't the only two that made stocks with the exaggerated roll over, and grip. Whoever did it looks to have been skilled at any rate.

Jeremy
Hey Jeremy,

Was able to get the rifle separated this morning. Unfortunately no sign of any stamp or identification anywhere, apparently whoever made it does not want the praise deserved. Appreciate your willingness to dive into this with me, and provide so much context on the rifle. Either way have me an opportunity to dissassemble, deep clean, and give the stock a fresh coat of linseed oil. Excited to mount a scope this evening, and press some rounds to run through it to see what it eats.

Andrew