Insulation for AZ Mule Deer hunt in January

gerardoxg

FNG
I'm going on an archery hunt the first week of January in AZ and looking for a jacket for glassing. I'm considering these pieces:

First Lite Chamberlin (or comparable Kuiu, but I can get the FL for much less $$)
Sitka Kelvin Lite Down (discounted on Black Ovis)
Black Ovis Anchor Point (much cheaper, not DWR treated)

Kuiu just announced an Axis Thermal Hybrid jacket that looks appealing. It's pricey, but that seems like it tries to kill two birds with one stone.

In terms of outer wear, that I could use to layer, I have a Sitka Stratus and Kelvin Active jackets. I was thinking I could go with a lighter down puffy and layer the Sitka Stratus over it - but that might be a terrible idea. Then again, maybe I just go heavier with the Chamberlin, since eI tend to run cold.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

BBob

WKR
For comparison sake this is what I use in January down here. Kuiu Pro down hooded for January, any lighter and I could be cold glassing on the colder days. If it’s windy I put a light rain jacket on over it. Merino base with a Peloton 97 as a mid. Very often I’ll use a short sleeve base with and equal weight long sleeve over it plus the 97. I use a merino zip off base bottom and Ultra down bottom over pants for glassing on colder days and again add light rain pants if it’s windy. Keep in mind you can be freezing cold in the morning and sweaty hot a few hours later

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not much into the high end hunting clothing lines, personally. In AZ, I always wear multiple layers due to vast temp changes and sun versus no sun. If its relatively warm, I'll wear a tee shirt and pull over and keep my Goretex parka in the pack. If its going to be "a little cold", I wear a Merrill down filled jacket (that's pretty light) with a USAF Goretex Parka. If its really cold, I use an Ascend jacket (its heavier than the Merrill) and the Goretex Parka for the outer shell. I just run multiple layers.

BBob’s recommendations are solid. But if a heavier puffy like the Chamberlin or other pieces fit better in your long term hunting plans it won’t hurt to be extra warm.

You’re after low desert mule deer correct?

OP
G

gerardoxg

FNG
Thanks @BBob - super helpful info. I ordered a Chamberlin since I tend to get cold. I have light and midweight FL base and mid layers that I can use underneath.

@canyonhunter47 - I'm not familiar with AZ, but it will be an OTC unit, working with a guide so not sure yet due to the new harvest thresholds. Tucson area is one option - 37A/B, 36 A/B/C. Other potential is north of Yuma.

Thanks @BBob - super helpful info. I ordered a Chamberlin since I tend to get cold. I have light and midweight FL base and mid layers that I can use underneath.

@canyonhunter47 - I'm not familiar with AZ, but it will be an OTC unit, working with a guide so not sure yet due to the new harvest thresholds. Tucson area is one option - 37A/B, 36 A/B/C. Other potential is north of Yuma.
You should have pretty pleasant hunt, hard to beat the AZ desert in January. You’ll probably want all leather boots to keep out cactus and in some of those areas maybe even thorn resistant pants

OP
G

gerardoxg

FNG
You should have pretty pleasant hunt, hard to beat the AZ desert in January. You’ll probably want all leather boots to keep out cactus and in some of those areas maybe even thorn resistant pants
Thanks! Any recommendation on pants? I have Prana Zions and Sitka Ascents (not as resistant). The Zions are decent.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You can have 50 degree swings in temp that time of year. Layering is key, this is what I wear…

Base Layer Top: Firstlite Wick Hoody
Base Layer Bottom: Firstlite Kiln Zip Off
Mid Layer Top: Patagonia R1 Air
Wind/Light Rain Top: Patagonia Houdini
Pants: Fjallraven Vida Pro Ventilated
Puffy: Firstlite Chamberlin or Nunatak Custom
Puffy Pants: Outdoor Research Tradecraft
Headwear: Ballcap/Firstlite Tundra Balaclava
Heavy Rain/Snow: Swazi Tahr, Swazi Overpants

You need tough clothing for hunting in AZ. It doesn’t look all that tough but everything sticks to you and tears up clothing quickly. Especially pants. Buy those pants I recommended, you’ll thank me after the hunt.