Inreach question

peterk123

WKR
Regarding the preset messages, any way to see on your inreach device (I have the 66i) what your preset messages are? Or can it be only seen from a desktop?

I can see them on the yellow SE+ when I click on preset messages when in a conversation. Just sent when home from NW Alberta about 5 minutes ago.

ODB

WKR
You mean edit them? You can see them (else how would you know which one to send), but they can only be edited online.

From the 66i manual:

Preset messages are messages that you created at explore.garmin.com. Preset messages have predefined text and recipients.

1. From the Messages page, select Send Preset.
  2. Choose a preset message, and press ENTER.
  3. Press ENTER to send the message.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
I see mine in my SE. Have you created any presets and saved them?
I have. Well, another reason for me to hate garmin. I have had their stuff for years. Great hardware. Everything else I find just clunky and hard to use.

ODB

WKR
Guess I have to memorize my presets

View attachment 454694

That seems to indicate you have not set them up online and synced the unit. Preset messages also have static recipients so that info should reflect on that screen. Your unit must be synced by cable to update the presets across the device.

I’d be on the horn with Garmin if you’ve synced and it still shows what you have.never had that issue with my old SE

* I see the 66i can update via the app. Your app shows the correct info?

Last edited:
OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
Finally got it to work. I can only get the messages to show up if I use the phone app to sync. synching through the computer would not work. I hate phone apps, so I did not have it on my phone.

ODB

WKR
Finally got it to work. I can only get the messages to show up if I use the phone app to sync. synching through the computer would not work. I hate phone apps, so I did not have it on my phone.

That’s good to know. But…does that mean software updates are ONLY through the app as well? That’s kinda clunky…

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
That’s good to know. But…does that mean software updates are ONLY through the app as well? That’s kinda clunky…
Everything with Garmin is clunky. They make a great gps but the software designs suck. I find it absolutely painful. It's like they won't give up on their twenty plus year old tech and they just stick bandaids and add ons to it.

Tried to figure the mapping options today. BaseMap, MapSource and heck knows whatever else they have. I can't figure it out. Gaia blows them away. I just want the safety of Inreach and a backup gps in case my phone croaks.

Reactions: ODB

BBob

WKR
Great hardware. Everything else I find just clunky and hard to use.
Everything with Garmin is clunky. They make a great gps but the software designs suck. I find it absolutely painful. It's like they won't give up on their twenty plus year old tech and they just stick bandaids and add ons to it.
That's been my bitch for say 30 ish years? Since I first purchased a Marine 45 gps not much has changed with the non-intuitive user interfaces.

Marble

WKR
There are three different programs for the inreach:

Earthmate: this interfaces with your phone and works quite well. You should absouse this and download maps ahead of time. If you get into a situation where you actually need search and rescue, giving them viable detailed info via your phone could save your life.

The garmin website: this is for updating firmware, subscription changes, account changes.

Garmin Sync: this actually will go through and sync your phone up with the device and make all of the info flow smoothly between the two. It needs to be done on a laptop. I did this while I had a tech from garmin on the phone. He was very helpful. I had my phone, laptop and Inreach all ready.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brillo

FNG
I share your frustration with Garmin but want to encourage you to keep trying as it does work. I just used mine on a canoe trip to communicate with my outfitter via email. We wanted to extract a day earlier than scheduled to avoid a storm and got it done same day. BTW... I am very technically challenged.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
I share your frustration with Garmin but want to encourage you to keep trying as it does work. I just used mine on a canoe trip to communicate with my outfitter via email. We wanted to extract a day earlier than scheduled to avoid a storm and got it done same day. BTW... I am very technically challenged.
I'm going to start using it instead of gaia for everyday hikes, just get more used to all the functions, including communications. The durability alone, compared to the phone is reason enough for me. Gaia week always be my go to for travel, but the garmin is one heck of a backup.