InReach data plans.

MHWASH

WKR
I leave in a couple of days for a 5 day back country trip. The InReach “recreation” plan includes 40 text messages. Does that include received messages? I can get by with preset messages, but I don’t think I can keep my wife down to 40 sent messages.
On my spring bear hunt, I ended up paying $100 because I went over my limit, so I was charged $.50/text.

Under 100 messages, Recreation plan is cheaper. Over 100, Expedition (unlimited) plan is cheaper.

Also, the only advantage of the Recreation plan over Safety plan is unlimited free tracking points (vs. $0.10 per point on Safety plan). If you don't use the tracking feature, the Safety plan will always be cheaper than the Recreation plan regardless of message count.

Received messages do count toward your total. Also, incoming messages longer than ≈160-170 characters (can't remember the exact number) get split up into multiple messages and each one counts toward your total. And another fun fact: emojis in received messages count as multiple characters (even though they often don't display properly on the inReach).
Screenshot_20200729-163539.png

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
i just get the cheapest plan and leave it on year round. as stated above you have to go over a lot to justify the extra bucks.
do the math.

Reactions: dla