Input on next rifle.

Hey all, I am in the market for a semi custom built from factory rifle. I would like any input you guys have on the particular brands and models i am considering along with some new suggestions. Just as a outline I really do not want to spend over $2300 on this rifle, I want it in 300 win mag, Rifle to be at or under 9lbs and I am not considering a CA or Fierce Firearms.

1. Seekins PH2, I have read many good things on Seekins on here and else where online along with many great videos praising it.

2. Weatherby 307 Alpine CT. I know its still new and I would like to hear from anyone who has any experience with it, Joseph Vonbenidict did a good review on it on Youtube

3. Don't laugh as I know this doesn't meet any parameters I have or make sense I suppose but I love the look, fit and feel of the Winchester model 70 super grade. I am a sucker for old school nostalgic rifles and the Model 70 fits into that area. I have also wanted one for a long time even before considering these other rifles. As far as ascetics go and the look of the rifles this one wins hands down for me. Is it naive of me to even wonder if the Model 70 will shoot almost as well out of the box as compared to the previous two ? Call me a fool for having this in my lineup if it is foolish please anyways thanks in advance.

Wrench

WKR
You could build a super grade for that price. I love m70's....push or classic. I love how the trigger is all but infallible.

I do not own the rifle but my hunting buddy does its a Weatherby 307 couple of things to think about before you buy one, if you can go someplace and put hands on, pay attention to the stock especially the forearm, I shot his it shoots ok nothing spectacular that any other middle end gun would do. He has since replaced the stock with a MDT chassis. Too much flex in the original stock, And yes it is a 300 win. Mag. Me I would not consider one really think you would be better off with a Winchester 70 or even a Remington 700.

I would look for an old Model 70 in 300 Winchester Magnum.

This seems to be a good time to buy classic old rifles. I’ve seen many on GunBroker going for less than I would expect. The economy sucks, so people don’t have tons of disposable income. And the old folks are dying off and the new folks are obsessed with the modern high BC bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
The first thing to consider when setting up a rifle is the fit of the stock. If the model 70 fits you well, you have met the first criteria.

TaperPin

WKR
I had a custom barrel installed on an otherwise factory model 70 rifle and it checked all the boxes for a fun rifle that just looks and feels cool every time it was shot or hunted with.

A lot of the popular barrel makers install barrels for a couple hundred $$ above barrel price, so that’s a pretty deal, other than shipping costs.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with Seekins rifles has been nothing but awesome. With the PH2, you're likely to have a great shooter out of the box. If you don't, Seekins is there to help.

I totally understand the appeal of the Model 70 as well. My late Grandpa had a couple Pre-64s in his collection, one in 30-06 and another in 264 Win. Absolutely beautiful rifles and very nostalgic - one should be going to my brother and the other to myself. If you handload, you shouldn't have any issues getting the Winchester to shoot. With factory ammo only, it's a bit more of a gamble.