Information on Trijicon Accupower scopes? And/or other options for my specs?

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I am trying to gauge the Trijicon Accupower against a Vortex Viper HS and Leupold VX3i, all 4-4.5min zoom 14-16x max zoom and all 50mm objectives. I have experience with all but the Trijicon. I am open to other options that meet those specs as well as check the weight, clarity, low-light, warranty and eye-relief boxes below (and I don't find any Optika6's left on sale that click the 50mm box).

This is for a 270win. I want to keep the weight less than 24oz and clarity through zoom range and low light performance will be my primary careabouts. This is not my reach out and touch someone rifle, it is my 50-400yd whitetail rifle. So tracking performance is a nice-to-have but my old eyes dictate clarity and low light first and foremost.

I will say that I expect a no hassles lifetime warranty, else I will just buy Leupold or Vortex. I also expect decent eye relief.

I am capping the price at $522 which is the best price I've found for a VX3i 4.5-14x50.

I was going to jump on the Midway special on the Viper HS $299 but I've run into a wrinkle that I lack familiarity with.
Trijicon Accupower 4-16x50 to be specific. It's going to cost me $450 but I will get an illuminated MOA vs. non-illum duplex reticle which I'm treating as roughly cost-neutral in a bang-for-buck world.

I have owned Viper HS in 44mm objective and sold it as I wanted brightness of 50mm. I've grown accustomed to a VX6 on the 270wby and VX5HD on the Kimber 280ai ... both are 44mm but for my eyes much clearer and brighter than my old Viper HS. I already have a VX3i 4.5-14x50 on the 7mm and round it out with an old Japanese Bushnell 4200 elite 4-16x50 on the 300wsm. I've recently sold a very good piece of glass, Zeiss Conquest-DL 3-12x50 ... 12x just wasn't enough and the klunky illum system was a turnoff.

I would place Trijicon over the other 2 as I have never had a Trijicon scope go out on me where as the lower end Leupold and Viper have not impressed me. I have an Accupoint so I can't comment on the Accupower but I have heard the glass is the same of similar.

Another good pick for your price range to consider is the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP that Natches has on sale for $499. It has an illuminated EMDR reticle and the scope is made in Japan. I have the 4-20x50 and the 3-10x40 of the same scope and the glass is very bright. I have compared the 4-20x50 against a lot of other scopes costing much more and that Japanese glass hits way above it's price range.

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the reply. There are a lot of good tactical options out there that I don't tend to look at as I don't care to pay more cash and ounces for the turrets for a 400yd max gun but clearly some of these options just require a few extra ounces now and not as much extra cash. The Weaver looks like a similar weight to the Optika6. I agree also on the value you get with Japanese glass - my old bushnell elites are still hanging in there.

I should have mentioned SWFA ... I really like their $500-ish 3-15 except the by 42mm objective. Stinks because I shoot clay targets right down the street from their home brick and mortar store.

Another vote for the trijicon. I have two of the accupower and no complaints. Highly overlooked optic imo and Vortex isn't even close to the quality.

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
thanks all ... is trijicon up there on customer/warranty support if/when needed?

Rail505

FNG
thanks all ... is trijicon up there on customer/warranty support if/when needed?
I used their warranty late last year on an RMR that went on my pistol. A little piece of glass that covers the led in the back came off and made it seem like there was 50 dots on the actual RMR glass you see through. RMR had maybe 3000 rounds and was a year and a half old. Sent it to them and about 2 weeks after that got it back fixed. They threw a hat, lens pen and sticker in the box. No charge to me whatsoever. I was the first owner and had the warranty registered in my name. Although i have heard on other tactical firearm forums that they have covered items that were not registered to that person/second owner, I cant speak on that part.

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I bought a used accupower 4-16x50 with an illuminated moa type reticle.

That is one dang impressive scope for the money. Not quite as good as my vx6 or vx5hd but close enough for the price that I paid. I hope I never need the warranty but if I do and they do well to stand behind their products, I will be buying more.