In search of hunting optic

I had a VX5HD 3-15 with the impact reticle on my 308 fix and loved that little optic. I shot it out to 600 yards pretty regularly and it tracked flawlessly and a 16” 308 has a decent bit of drop at 600 yards.

I sold it to a buddy when I got rid of that rifle who put it on his 700 LTR 308 and takes it down to Quantico all the time and shoots out to 1000 which is even more dialing with a 308. That optic is going on 5 years old now of use that it wasn’t exactly meant for and it’s still tracking true. In the 4 years he’s had it he’s never even re zero’d it, it cuts the center dot out of the 2” shoot n see with 175gr FGMM every time he confirms zero.

Not saying that Leupold hasn’t put out an optic that didn’t track true, I had some older MK4’s that had to go back for tracking even, but to say that VX5HD’s don’t track in general is utter BS.

nobody

WKR
Read through those threads regarding the scope testing (see post #2) and you'll notice the consensus is pretty much Nightforce, Trijicon, SWFA, Bushnell LRHS or Similar Flavor, and potentially the Meopta Optika6.

And on the "Useable FFP Reticle in Low Light," anything in your self imposed mag range is going to be just fine. a 3-15 FFP scope from any of these companies will give you no issues with FFP. Most of the concerns you read about regarding poor visibility are from people who haven't used an FFP scope, they just have a fear they will experience it. I was in that camp, but once I came over to the dark side (FFP), I was a happy camper. Where you'll need to be more careful would be if you were using something like a 5-25 or a 4.5-27 or 6-36, but those introduce their own sets of additional problems regarding eyebox and such.

You'll be sorely disappointed in the VX5HD you mentioned above. I owned one about a year and a half ago before I knew better, and it was the king of the "Leupold Shuffle." Wandering zero by a few clicks between every range trip, random cracked internal lenses, etc. The gold ring was sure pretty, but between it and a couple of other issues with other Leupold scopes prior, I've sworn off of them and purged them from my collection. You'll notice their "bad boy" Mark 5 HD's failed borderline instantaneously in the tests linked in post #2. If their $2500 scopes fail that catastrophically, it tells me all I need to know about their $1k scopes.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

OP
D

doughnut

FNG
Well I really appreciate all the "random guys" on the internet for sharing their experiences. It really does help to make an informed decision. I understand that not everyone agrees on everything, but getting to hear both sides of a story based on actual experiences sure does help people draw their own conclusions about what might be best for them.

Read through those threads regarding the scope testing (see post #2) and you'll notice the consensus is pretty much Nightforce, Trijicon, SWFA, Bushnell LRHS or Similar Flavor, and potentially the Meopta Optika6.
I have read through several of the scope evaluations along with many other threads on the sight, and I have come to the same realization that you stated above. If SWFA ever gets there 3-9 scopes back in stock I will own one. I have also looked at the Meopta6 3-18x15 FFP Mil/Mil. I like the fact that the mil reticle is center illuminated only. Do not like the fact that it is a Christmas tree which makes it way to busy. Compromise right?

Well I really appreciate all the "random guys" on the internet for sharing their experiences. It really does help to make an informed decision. I understand that not everyone agrees on everything, but getting to hear both sides of a story based on actual experiences sure does help people draw their own conclusions about what might be best for them.

I have read through several of the scope evaluations along with many other threads on the sight, and I have come to the same realization that you stated above. If SWFA ever gets there 3-9 scopes back in stock I will own one. I have also looked at the Meopta6 3-18x15 FFP Mil/Mil. I like the fact that the mil reticle is center illuminated only. Do not like the fact that it is a Christmas tree which makes it way to busy. Compromise right?
SWFA told me they’d be back in stock between now and early November.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Currently in search of a hunting optic. I have been around the world and back in my search. I have googled many times over the past week. I have read many reviews and seen many opinions on countless forums. Just when I think I have my mind made up I read something that changes my mind. This scope will be used for hunting white tail deer. I am a casual hunter that goes 4-5 times a month during season. Not a professional by any means.

I think I know what I want.
-SFP- because I will be hunting in heavily wooded areas, and I want to be able to easily see reticle in low light situations.
-2x to 3x on lower end/ upper end no more than 16x. 12x would probably be ideal on upper end. Most shots will be within 150 yards, but I do have opportunities to shoot out to 400 yards.
-Capped windage turret
-Exposed and reliable elevation turret (prefer dialing elevation for longer shots)
-Zero stop on elevation would be nice.
-Mil adjustments would be ideal, but I can live with MOA

Optical quality is not of the most importance considering the ranges I will be shooting. Reliable tracking and zero retention are. I would prefer to keep the budget under $1000. This scope will be going on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that is capable of shooting 1 MOA. Leupold VX-5hd 3-15 seems to be the ideal scope for what I am looking for, but many folks do not favor Leupold because of their inability to reliably track. Then again other say they have not had any problems. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Faced with the same decision, I went this route:

amassi

WKR
If it was 2.5x10 or 12 I would not hesitate. Like I mentioned earlier Trijicon has several scopes that are really close to what I want, but for every one they offer I have to make a compromise of some kind. Would not mind a higher magnification if it was a ffp scope with a useable reticle at low power in low light.
I'll pin the mag ring so you can't go past 10x of you like

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

And on the "Useable FFP Reticle in Low Light," anything in your self imposed mag range is going to be just fine. a 3-15 FFP scope from any of these companies will give you no issues with FFP. Most of the concerns you read about regarding poor visibility are from people who haven't used an FFP scope, they just have a fear they will experience it. I was in that camp, but once I came over to the dark side (FFP), I was a happy camper. Where you'll need to be more careful would be if you were using something like a 5-25 or a 4.5-27 or 6-36, but those introduce their own sets of additional problems regarding eyebox and such.

You'll be sorely disappointed in the VX5HD you mentioned above. I owned one about a year and a half ago before I knew better, and it was the king of the "Leupold Shuffle." Wandering zero by a few clicks between every range trip, random cracked internal lenses, etc. The gold ring was sure pretty, but between it and a couple of other issues with other Leupold scopes prior, I've sworn off of them and purged them from my collection. You'll notice their "bad boy" Mark 5 HD's failed borderline instantaneously in the tests linked in post #2. If their $2500 scopes fail that catastrophically, it tells me all I need to know about their $1k scopes.

Pretty bold claim that a FFP scope will not be an issue for any of the 7+ billion individuals on this planet.

I must have gotten hold of the single "faulty" FFP NF in the universe as its reticle, at 2.5x, literally disappeared on a tent's screen inside a brightly lit store. I am sure that it would have been completely different when placed on a black bear.

Yes, I am aware of illumination but batteries do die and lets face it, that is an expensive "band aid" to address the reticle washing out against dark objects at low magnification for some folks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Pretty bold claim that a FFP scope will not be an issue for any of the 7+ billion individuals on this planet.

I must have gotten hold of the single "faulty" FFP NF in the universe as its reticle, at 2.5x, literally disappeared on a tent's screen inside a brightly lit store. I am sure that it would have been completely different when placed on a black bear.

Yes, I am aware of illumination but batteries do die and lets face it, that is an expensive "band aid" to address the reticle washing out against dark objects at low magnification for some folks.

It’s not problem for some folks- NF’s MOA and Mil reticles suck for general hunting.

Tim Box

FNG
Zeiss Conquest V4 would be my choice. Check the demos (open box) on Europtics or Red Hawk Rifles and you will be well under your $1,000.00 budget. I have three V4s and have no complaints.
I've got 2 ziess and love them but I'm considering a vortex

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, its total bs that everyone will be happy with a ffp reticle if they just try it. Not everyone hunts the same way, in the same place. It has nothing to do with experience either. I havent ever seen the mythical 3-9swfa, but have used a good number of other ffp scopes and own several. I have one that is passable in the woods (a p3 s&b) but I have never seen a ffp reticle that I would put on a rifle I use for tracking.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, its total bs that everyone will be happy with a ffp reticle if they just try it. Not everyone hunts the same way, in the same place. It has nothing to do with experience either. I havent ever seen the mythical 3-9swfa, but have used a good number of other ffp scopes and own several. I have one that is passable in the woods (a p3 s&b) but I have never seen a ffp reticle that I would put on a rifle I use for tracking.
You pointed out your issue by saying you have never seen a SWFA 3-9. It has everything to do with reticle design. There are many FFP reticles that are lousy for hunting. However, the SWFA Mil-Quad and Mil-Dot reticles are very useful at all magnification settings. In lower powers, they act as a duplex type reticle that are actually easier to see as compared to the Leupold heavy duplex when used in low light situations.

I run mine through the gaulet of scenarios, from deep woods/swamp hunting in the east to the wide open prairies in the west. In the past I have run Swaro Z6s, Swaro Z3s, Leupold VX3s, FX-3 6X42s, and Tract. They have since moved down the road.

The SWFA 3-9s check all the "must have" boxes, and happen to be one of cheaper options available. In my experience, a FFP Mil based scope with good reticle design is the way to go. YMMV.

Happy New Year's!

Macintosh

WKR
I get it, there is ONE (a tiny handful maybe?) ffp reticle that sounds great apparently. Unfortunately that scope is made of pure un-obtanium, and if that one scope doesnt check other boxes you’re sol as far as I can tell. I cant disagree with you never having had a chance to see this scope, but I hardly think one reticle out of all the other ffp reticles that are terrible for a close-range hunter in thick cover definitively answers the ffp/sfp argument once and for all. I think the point stands just fine, even if people want to nibble away at the edges of it—there are plenty of people for whom the overwhelming majority (and possibly more) of ffp reticles simply arent ideal, or worse.

Last edited: