Impact Shift on NF NXS 2.5-10

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I am really considering this scope for a lightweight rifle build. I usually shoot FFP scopes, but I am thinking a SFP in this lower magnification range won't have as much impact shift. I am wondering if there are any users of this scope, or any SFP in this mag range that can verify their impact shifts when dialing between magnifications?

Thanks

Sled

WKR
I'm lost on this one. Have you seen impact shifts in SFP scopes that aren't plastic?

Put it in a vise and see if your cross hairs move when going thru magnification.

I am really considering this scope for a lightweight rifle build. I usually shoot FFP scopes, but I am thinking a SFP in this lower magnification range won't have as much impact shift. I am wondering if there are any users of this scope, or any SFP in this mag range that can verify their impact shifts when dialing between magnifications?

Thanks
I think you've got your terminology mixed up, what are you trying to figure out?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm lost on this one. Have you seen impact shifts in SFP scopes that aren't plastic?

Put it in a vise and see if your cross hairs move when going thru magnification.
I think he is referring to how far off the actual hash marks are at max magnification vs lower mag range (whereas on ffp they are always the same value)

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I may be wrong here, but I am of the understanding that SFP scopes will have some change in where the scope is actually aiming when going from 10x down to 2.5x. If I sighted in the scope at 10x, will there be some kinda calculation I need to be aware of if I go down to 2.5x. On my FFP scopes I don't have to worry about point of impact wether I'm on 4x or 22x.

I hope that makes more sense

gbflyer

WKR
Zero doesn’t change. Only the value of the scale in the reticle. There are apps that can sort that out with little effort if it’s of concern.

I may be wrong here, but I am of the understanding that SFP scopes will have some change in where the scope is actually aiming when going from 10x down to 2.5x. If I sighted in the scope at 10x, will there be some kinda calculation I need to be aware of if I go down to 2.5x. On my FFP scopes I don't have to worry about point of impact wether I'm on 4x or 22x.

Not if you are using the center cross hair. Only if you are wanting to use the hashmarks to hold for elevation.

Nope.

Not correct. Zero will not change along with any magnification change regardless of FFP or 2FP.

davsco

WKR
the downside to second focal plane scopes is that the hashmarks generally only match their stated values at max magnification, such as in the nf 2.5-10x series. the good news is this scope only goes to 10x, so chances are at any distances where you'd need to hold over, you will be at the max of 10x, so if the hash mark says, for instance, 2moa, it will indeed be 2moa. also, if you dial vs hold, then it doesn't matter what magnification you are on.

also as noted above, if you zero your gun/reticle at, let's say, 100yd, then whether you are at 1x or 10x or anywhere in between, your zero is not affected.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
the downside to second focal plane scopes is that the hashmarks generally only match their stated values at max magnification, such as in the nf 2.5-10x series. the good news is this scope only goes to 10x, so chances are at any distances where you'd need to hold over, you will be at the max of 10x, so if the hash mark says, for instance, 2moa, it will indeed be 2moa. also, if you dial vs hold, then it doesn't matter what magnification you are on.

also as noted above, if you zero your gun/reticle at, let's say, 100yd, then whether you are at 1x or 10x or anywhere in between, your zero is not affected.
That’s always been my understanding too. Zero dosent change but your reticle measurements are only good at zoom setting. Strange too with scopes like the trijicon tenmile HX where the ranging is true at 9x even though it’s a 3-18 scope. They even have the conversions in the reticle when you look through it.