I'm going to Kenai, Alaska....

jeffpg

WKR
I'm a safety manager for a turnaround group and we have a work project that will run all of April and half of May this year, so I volunteered to go. I am blessed to have traveled a good chunk of the planet but I have never been to Alaska. I know there's a lot of experience here so I'm seeking advise on how to make the most of my time there. While the project is running, I'll put in 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, so there will be no playtime to speak of. Once the job ends however, my time is mine to do as I wish for pretty much as long as I want.

For starters, I am thinking that my best bet is to fly into Anchorage and rent my vehicle that I will use for the duration of my time there and then drive into Kenai. I will need lodging for 2 in Kenai for a month and a half, as my fiancé will accompany me on the trip. Any suggestions in this area are welcome.

I am told that the fishing and sightseeing on the Kenai peninsula are outstanding. I'm looking forward to this trip, which I feel will likely lead to another. I'd love to make a hunt there.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jeff

Find out when breakup is. I used to teach with a fellow engineer from Fairbanks. That was in the 90s and I think he talked about spring breakup at about that time. I attended an international conference about that time in Anchorage (Mar) and I'm fairly sure we were still dodging moose in the snow drifts at the mid to end of that time.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Late May will be a great time to explore. I agree with renting the vehicle in Anchorage.

You could easily spend an entire summer just exploring the Kenai Peninsula. I would say plan to hike Resurrection Pass, plan a trip up Exit Glacier trail to see the Harding, and otherwise there are tons of places to explore based on your interests.

Decided if you want to drive to other parts of the state as well. Making a loop from Palmer to Tok to Fairbanks and back to Anchorage would put you covering most of the road system.

That sounds awesome. Near record snowfall in the area this year but if the weather keeps the way it has been last couple of weeks, we may be close to snow and ice going out by late April. Keep a close eye on the fishing regulations, a good amount of flowing water (upper Kenai) is closed to fishing until June 11th to protect spawning rainbows. I'd recommend looking at fishing Kings in the Kasilof last couple weeks of May. It's partially hatchery run so one of the very few options to catch a king this year.

Mid May on the KP is primetime if you want to bear hunt. The grass is just starting to green right above tree line and the alders haven't quite vegged out. Miles and miles of places to glass and hunt right from the highway. The recommended hikes above are good. Look online for the public use cabins along the Resurrection to cut down on weight. Might be too late to book, but might be able to find a couple nights mid week. Expect the Resurrection to be muddy with pea snow over the pass through May so a good pair of boots with gaiters ready to go. Crescent Lake is another nice area to hike to where you could grab a cabin.

Need to take 2 weeks vacation after you are done- things will finally be turning green and hopefully the kings return. Start your bear bait in April with snowshoes and the blackies should be hitting by that time as well.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
I’m especially interested in spring bear hunting.
Prince of Wales Island has some amazingly large black bears, and not only do they taste great, very full, thick fur from the spring hunts.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a draw hunt for Non residents, unless you go guided. Too late to put in,
Sorry, I was just used to having my combination license. I guess I shouldn't tell non-residents about dipnetting reds in Chitina either then.

Anyway, if you're into doing a road trip after your work has ended, Thompson Pass and Keystone Canyon into Valdez is my favorite drive in the whole state, and you can even turn it into a loop by getting back to the Kenai by putting your car on the ferry from Valdez to Whittier.
Beautiful drive, nice short boat trip and it takes you past the Worthington Glacier by car (which you can walk up to) and the Columbia Glacier while out on the water.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Take the time to visit Homer if you have a free day.

I grew up in the Soldotna/Kenai area and Homer is absolutely worth the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q child

WKR
I commented on this sarcastically a few days ago saying "Alaska sucks." The moderators removed it saying that it was a stupid comment. I did not know there was a floor on here, but evidently I found it. I agree, it was a stupid comment.
I've lived in Alaska since I was born, and just like poking fun at people from the lower 48 who have so much reverence for it. I agree though, its worthy of reverence and its an amazing state where I continue to make my home. I live in Southeast.
I apologize for poking fun.
To address your post more earnestly:
Yeah, flying to Anchorage and renting a vehicle from there will probably be the thing to do.
You may be a little early for fishing, but there could be some stuff waking up in May. Sounds like they have a lot of snow in that area this year, so things could still be bound up. I've not been on the Kenai peninsula that exact time of year though, so would defer to others more local to the area.
As others have mentioned, Homer is cool. So is Seward. Going North is worthwhile if you have a little time - Denali, Fairbanks, Tok...
Spring can be a really nice time of year up in the interior. I hope you enjoy your trip.

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Ok guys, I have my flight, vehicle rental and lodging covered for April & May. I was fortunate to secure a beautiful home on a huge lake 8 minutes from my work.

We are very excited about spending some time in the Last Frontier.

hammy907

FNG
I'd book a fishing charter out of Homer. I've done plenty of work in the refinery out north, and honestly you'll just appreciate the sunny day views of redoubt from there. Have fun, and enjoy Alaska!

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Good Luck.
Turned down a chance to go up for a job working out of Kenai back in 1990 and never got another chance. It would be on my dime now.

The wife of the guy who was my contact brought a bunch of salmon and halibut for Christmas while we were on job that he’d caught the previous summer. That stuff was delicious.

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Waking this thread up with an invitation for you to share your opinions on a part of my plan...

I haven't actually had any success on planning a bear hunt yet, but I am still researching and have actually begun looking for an outfitter. I will take a lightweight folding stocked 6.5 PRC rifle with good intentions of using it. I will also take a pair of full size Glock handguns for my lady and myself to pack while out & about. I have flown with rifles, and I have flown with handguns, but I have yet to fly with both at the same time.

I have a Tuffpak gun case that has worked out well for me on trips abroad. I have plans to zip the rifle and the handguns in their own soft case, then place them inside the Tuffpak, surrounded by clothing such as puffy jackets, etc. I may also tuck in a fly rod & a 2 pc. rod/spinning rig if there's room.

There will be 3 different cartridge sizes involved, 6.5 PRC, 10mm, and 9mm. Is shipping one box of each ammo to Alaska too expensive to go that route?

Oh yeah... I am addicted to their use, but should I just forget the rifle's suppressor and leave it home? Probably so, huh?

Thanks guys,
Jeff

Htm84

WKR
Waking this thread up with an invitation for you to share your opinions on a part of my plan...

I haven't actually had any success on planning a bear hunt yet, but I am still researching and have actually begun looking for an outfitter. I will take a lightweight folding stocked 6.5 PRC rifle with good intentions of using it. I will also take a pair of full size Glock handguns for my lady and myself to pack while out & about. I have flown with rifles, and I have flown with handguns, but I have yet to fly with both at the same time.

I have a Tuffpak gun case that has worked out well for me on trips abroad. I have plans to zip the rifle and the handguns in their own soft case, then place them inside the Tuffpak, surrounded by clothing such as puffy jackets, etc. I may also tuck in a fly rod & a 2 pc. rod/spinning rig if there's room.

There will be 3 different cartridge sizes involved, 6.5 PRC, 10mm, and 9mm. Is shipping one box of each ammo to Alaska too expensive to go that route?

Oh yeah... I am addicted to their use, but should I just forget the rifle's suppressor and leave it home? Probably so, huh?

Thanks guys,
Jeff

Flying with multiple weapons in a case is no big deal as long as you stay under the 50 pound limit. Ammo load it in the tuffpak. Just make sure it’s secured in boxes. Think you’re limited to 11 pounds. Plenty of 9mm and 10mm on the shelves up here currently. Suppressors are no big deal up here so I’d take it.

Black bears are pretty much year round no closed season for the majority of south central. The KP has a pretty extensive trail system up into the mountains. Walk up camp or get a cabin.