If you were to buy a timber gun…

Long Cut

WKR
OP- The biggest deciding factor is going to be if you’re treestand hunting, still hunting/stalking or deer driving.

Any rifle .223 up to 45-70 will do the job. That’s personal preference really.

A Browning BAR in .308 with an 18-20” barrel will perform very well here for any of the above applications.

Scope wise I’d look for a 1-3x on the low end and 7-9x on the high end with a minimum scope objective lens of 40-42mm, ideally 44-50mm for a still hunting or stand hunting setup.

If you’re doing more deer drives a 1-6x24 or 36 LVPO is all you’ll need.

Nothing will ruin a hunt faster than poor visibility through an optic.

KenLee

WKR
OP- The biggest deciding factor is going to be if you’re treestand hunting, still hunting/stalking or deer driving.

Any rifle .223 up to 45-70 will do the job. That’s personal preference really.

A Browning BAR in .308 with an 18-20” barrel will perform very well here for any of the above applications.

Scope wise I’d look for a 1-3x on the low end and 7-9x on the high end with a minimum scope objective lens of 40-42mm, ideally 44-50mm for a still hunting or stand hunting setup.

If you’re doing more deer drives a 1-6x24 or 36 LVPO is all you’ll need.

Nothing will ruin a hunt faster than poor visibility through an optic.
"Nothing will ruin a hunt faster than poor visibility through an optic."

Amen, it sure is nice to be busting bighead when everyone else is aalready back at their truck/camp.

Long Cut

WKR
"Nothing will ruin a hunt faster than poor visibility through an optic."

Amen, it sure is nice to be busting bighead when everyone else is aalready back at their truck/camp.

I tried like heck to get a deer with my AR and 77 TMK’s this past Fall. AR is topped with a 1-6x24 Nikon scope...

I had to pass 3 shooter bucks and a handful of does because of poor visibility. Most were in open fields, still in legal shooting hours (30 minutes after sunset for GA). Binoculars are Vortex Diamondbacks and I could see them clear as day... My SWFA, Athlon & Bushnell never let me down in low light.

LVPO’s have their place, but low light performance isn’t one of them. Neither goes for iron sights or red dots...

KenLee

WKR
I tried like heck to get a deer with my AR and 77 TMK’s this past Fall. AR is topped with a 1-6x24 Nikon scope...

I had to pass 3 shooter bucks and a handful of does because of poor visibility. Most were in open fields, still in legal shooting hours (30 minutes after sunset for GA). Binoculars are Vortex Diamondbacks and I could see them clear as day... My SWFA, Athlon & Bushnell never let me down in low light.

LVPO’s have their place, but low light performance isn’t one of them. Neither goes for iron sights or red dots...
The illuminated dot on my mark-ar 1.5-4x24 helps a little, but it's still pitiful compared to good quality even 42mm with nice 4a reticle.
Most of my hunting rifles carry 50 or 56mm scopes with either heavy or illuminated dot reticles.

When I outfitted my rifles with scopes, I chose leupold vx II 4-14 (?) only because of the option of a fine duplex. I used to leave it at 4 but have increased it to 6 after 65.

When I am trying to pick a shot in heavy cover, I really don't like the clutter in the scope.

I don't even know if they offer that any more.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
If I was choosing an all-around timber gun for everything on the western hemisphere I would go with the Remington 673 in 350 Rem Mag. If I couldn't get that, then it would be a Browning BLR '81 in 358 or 30'06. All of those options would get a a 1-6 or 2.5-8x32 Leupold.

Living in the east, my timber guns are
Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen with a 3-9 trijicon scope
Marlin GG in 450 marlin 2-7 nikon
Ruger Carbine 44 mag with Leupold 1-4x20.
S&W 629 44 mag
Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 with an SWFA 2-10x32

I've killed deer with them all.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
If it was my money, and not choosing traditional options (mainly lever guns) or what I already use (tikkas with various scopes), I'd want a Kimber in 308 cut down to 16", gel pulled from it, and a 1-6 viper pst. I just can't imagine that not working for all woods situations.

BjornF16

WKR
If it was my money, and not choosing traditional options (mainly lever guns) or what I already use (tikkas with various scopes), I'd want a Kimber in 308 cut down to 16", gel pulled from it, and a 1-6 viper pst. I just can't imagine that not working for all woods situations.
I guess maybe inside 50 yards it doesn’t matter if scope loses zero constantly

dct73

FNG
I'd be using my Marlin 444P with a red dot or a quality 2-7 scope for sentimental reasons! I think any lightweight bolt gun with a shorter barrel and low power optic would also be nice. I'm thinking maybe a Kimber Hunter or Savage Lightweight Hunter with an 18-20" barrel in 358 would be cool.