If you see these bullets …

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
These times require early preparation. I am going on an Alaskan coastal Brown Bear hunt out of Cold Bay, Alaska and am looking for Nosler 250 or 265 gr partition bullets, Barnes TSX or LRX in 250 or 265 gr or Swift A-Frame in 250 gr (.338 caliber).

If you see any for sale some place, or have any and would be willing to sell, please message me.

I am short one can of IMR 4831 powder, but have some friends that said the would let me have a spare can.

Finally, I also think I will find primers. Worst case, I could pay 8 times the price and get more from Gunbroker……. For now the biggest issue is bullets.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the upcoming hunt. 225 TSX in the hand is worth an unknown time frame in the bush with respect to the other bullets. Would not hesitate to use them if someone threw me on a plane and handed me your rifle when stepping off the plane.

That is actually very good advise lighter is far better than none!

That is actually very good advise lighter is far better than none!

Here are a few pics of an original 200 X and an original 250 X from elk, out of a 35 Whelen AI. The only two recovered Barnes bullets in 30 years of using them on elk. 200 TTSX for unfired length comparison.

.358 200 X was a quartering-to shot and was a bump under the hide on the opposite rear quarter. .358 250 X was quartering away behind the ribs and found in the neck meat upon butchering.

Point being the difference in expansion and terminal performance of a 225 TSX vs a 250-265 class Barnes or bonded bullet would probably be nil.

Offer still stands... throw me on a plane and hand me your gun when I get off. :)

Attachments

• 1415CDB1-2B39-42DE-8DC1-10B970975EC8.jpeg
    1415CDB1-2B39-42DE-8DC1-10B970975EC8.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 33
  • FFCB3BD3-1134-4103-91FD-2E477F52466E.jpeg
    FFCB3BD3-1134-4103-91FD-2E477F52466E.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 32
  • F173EBCE-08CC-4CCA-AAA7-06D64BAA02F8.jpeg
    F173EBCE-08CC-4CCA-AAA7-06D64BAA02F8.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 32

BigSky

WKR
If you can meet me tomorrow I'll just give you a can of the IMR 4831 and you can pay me back later when you get some.

jhm2023

WKR
If you can't find what your looking for, perhaps look at getting some Hammer Hunters. They're in stock and in my experience they are better than Barnes for both accuracy and terminal performance. Typically a little faster velocity can be had as well.

Good thoughts on the Hammer. Have some 200 gr Hammer's (Power Hammer) to try in the 35 Whelen AI. What is the context of better terminal performance? I look at them as a means to the same end the TTSX has provided in the cartridges they have been loaded in, an expired critter.

Hammer has a good thing going by being in stock, the reason I am going to give them a try.

jhm2023

WKR
The petals detach allowing for less drag and deeper penetration from the flat fronted base. The detached petals travel pretty far as well adding to the wound track some. I've killed a lot of critters with Hammers, Lehigh controlled chaos and CEB maximus bullets, all of which function the same way, and a lot of critters with the various flavors of Barnes. The detaching petal variety bullets, in my experience, put animals down quicker and leave more of a blood trail when the do run.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Notsure where your at but I have imr 4831 I'd sell.

Chad E - I am in West Virginia. Send me a private message and I will give you my cell phone. Thx.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
35 Whelen - I consider every person who enjoys hunting a friend, whether I know the person or not. If I had the money to take you along and give you a free hunt, I would do it in a second. Take care buddy.

35 Whelen - I consider every person who enjoys hunting a friend, whether I know the person or not. If I had the money to take you along and give you a free hunt, I would do it in a second. Take care buddy.

Lol, thanks for that. You know I was using that as an example of confidence in the 225 TSX, and reaffirming it with the second go-round!

What .338 is the rifle chambered for?

Update if you can on the route you go for the bullets. Best of success on the hunt.

jhm2023, thanks for the description on the Hammers. Was looking for what you said at the end, that they seem to put them down quicker in your experience. Looks to be a theme with Hammer bullets in general vs monos that retain all of their weight. 👍

Last edited:
These times require early preparation. I am going on an Alaskan coastal Brown Bear hunt out of Cold Bay, Alaska and am looking for Nosler 250 or 265 gr partition bullets, Barnes TSX or LRX in 250 or 265 gr or Swift A-Frame in 250 gr (.338 caliber).

If you see any for sale some place, or have any and would be willing to sell, please message me.

I am short one can of IMR 4831 powder, but have some friends that said the would let me have a spare can.

Finally, I also think I will find primers. Worst case, I could pay 8 times the price and get more from Gunbroker……. For now the biggest issue is bullets.

Thanks.

submoashooting.com They sell bullets in sampler packs of 10 or 12. They have always had whatever bullets I was looking for, (mostly Barnes TTSX for me). They ship really quick too.

They do have the Barnes 225 TTSX in .338

Last edited: