If you had a new long action and only shot copper...

snopro176

WKR
What caliber would you choose?
I just bit the bullet and ordered a LA/MAG for "my" lefty rifle. I've got a couple right hand guns that I shoot left handed but I finally decided to build one for me, not the wife or my son down the road, but for me. Living in CA I wanna stick to just copper and I hunt primarily deer but definitely want it elk capable(i know shot placement is everything but you know what I mean). I strictly hand load so that keeps my options open as far as ammo availability. I have a CA ridgeline fft in 6.5prc so I have a great short/light 6.5 so I'm wondering what yall would do with a LA/MAG action? Probably going to go more of a full length 24-26" barrel and shooting copper, likely hammers. Initially I was thinking 7prc but 28nos seems like it would be everything I want and currently available. I've always felt a big 30 was overkill for these CA bucks but a part of me also likes thinks "why not be over prepared?" 7mm mega? 300 prc? There's literally too many options but it's good to hear different opinions.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I'd pick a round based on what you can get components for. Any magnum cartridge is more than enough for deer here in CA.

To not overlap with your 6.5 PRC, why not step up to a magnum 30 cal like a 300 PRC? Or even up to a 338 for the extra fun.

I would decide if you are willing to shoot braked or not first. If not, how many foot lbs of recoil can you shoot well? Do you want to spot impacts?

I shoot a lot of hammers out of quite a few different guns. They’re a good killing bullet when copper is the only option. I do feel that the reduced BC makes them tough to shoot well, day in and day out, beyond 500 yards. I’ve got a 30-06 shooting 151 absolutes at 3230fps, wife shoots a hammer in her 6.5 creed, use them in 25-284 and also 25 creedmoor. Load for buddies 270wsm, 7mm mag, and a couple other 30-06s. Personally I like the lighter for caliber options.

My next CA build will be a 22creedmoor shooting 70gr ish hammers for deer hunting. Run some numbers after looking at the hammer and absolute hammer load data if you want to get an idea of different options. Personally I love light recoil and never had a problem with a well placed bullet killing a 100lb blacktail..

Not sure if you do much on Instagram, but if you do, look up Steve Evans new build that he just shot a deer with. I believe it’s a 300 Norma improved… if I wanted a cannon, I’d lean towards something like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Not sure if you do much on Instagram, but if you do, look up Steve Evans new build that he just shot a deer with. I believe it’s a 300 Norma improved… if I wanted a cannon, I’d lean towards something like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know exactly the gun you're talking about, very cool caliber. Steve's 28 nos was what peaked my interest in 28s in the first place.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I would decide if you are willing to shoot braked or not first. If not, how many foot lbs of recoil can you shoot well? Do you want to spot impacts?

I shoot a lot of hammers out of quite a few different guns. They’re a good killing bullet when copper is the only option. I do feel that the reduced BC makes them tough to shoot well, day in and day out, beyond 500 yards. I’ve got a 30-06 shooting 151 absolutes at 3230fps, wife shoots a hammer in her 6.5 creed, use them in 25-284 and also 25 creedmoor. Load for buddies 270wsm, 7mm mag, and a couple other 30-06s. Personally I like the lighter for caliber options.

My next CA build will be a 22creedmoor shooting 70gr ish hammers for deer hunting. Run some numbers after looking at the hammer and absolute hammer load data if you want to get an idea of different options. Personally I love light recoil and never had a problem with a well placed bullet killing a 100lb blacktail..
It will definitely have a brake on it. Spotting impacts would be ideal but not a major deal breaker. I've messed with 124hh's in this prc but next I want to try the 123 absolutes and hopefully get some velocity back, did you have to speed up your powder much for the absolutes?

kpalu

FNG
Pick a 7mm and go. .284 bullet selection is great and is a good middle between 6.5 and 300. Better ballistics than the .300 without giving up terminal performance. There isn't anything in North American that can't be taken with 7 rem mag. If you want a little more do 28 Nosler. I run a 22" 7 mag and really like it. If I were starting from scratch I would do an 18" or 20" 28 Nosler to get my mv up and be able to shorten everything a little more.

For all copper bullets there are plenty of good ones. I've had good terminal performance with Hammer 155AH and Barnes. I loaded up some Hornady CX 150s this year and hopefully will get to use them in a couple weeks when elk rifle opens in Wyoming.

LightFoot

WKR
The 6.5 PRC will do almost anything a 7mm (and many 30s) will do.

I would go with a 338 of some flavor. If you action can handle the length, 340 WBY is my choice. Then book your grizzly/moose combo hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2rocky

WKR
I shot a 30 Nosler in the CA Ridgeline and I was impressed with it. I'm a one rifle guy so I even shoot blacktails with a .300 WM. It's not that bad... Either of those would have you set for Elk Moose,Bear with 180 or 210 AB or Partition. maybe just do 180 in the Mono copper. Recoil with the brake was minimal. about like .243.

Considering you have a 6.5prc, ammo availability, and components, and the fact you got LA/MAG. My vote would be 300WM.

Second choice would be 300prc if you aren't worried about component/ammo availability. MidwayUSA only shows four factory loads.

Currently Midway has 7/86 factory loads available for 300wm. 1/4 available for 300prc.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The correct answer for this is almost always 300WM but since you are set up with a PRC I would just go 300 PRC.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Availability isn't really on my radar and I'll likely run the same few hundred pc's of brass till I die. And if I'm being realistic itll probably never get used for anything bigger than an elk. 28nos really seems like it might fit the bill other than barrel life is rather concerning. The 7prc would be better in that department without too much sacrifice. Anyone mess with wildcats?

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
The 28 has always infatiated me and I'd probalby go that route if it were me. I love 7s and usually take my 7-08 or 280 Rem. I like the 4 down in the mag on those guys.

300 PRC if you really want to step it up. It'd be hard not to grab that light 6.5 PRC when heading out though.