If you could only have one pack

reeltight

FNG
I don't want to beat a dead horse over this pack or that pack but I need to buy a pack and I'll be a one pack kind of guy...like a large day pack. Most of my hunts are tree stand hunts in SC so a pack is generally not needed but I could see myself potentially using one if I had one. But I do hike and camp some with my boys and we do have some western deer, antelope and fingers crossed an elk hunt coming up next year so, I'm in the market.

I'm leaning towards the mystery ranch pop ups. Would this suit my needs to serve as a day pack and camp pack as well as a small meat hauler or is this going to be too big for a day pack? I realize there's going to be some give and take trying to find an all-in-one but looking for some input from real experiences.

It doesn't look like there's much difference in size from the 28 to 38 when compressed so I assume I'd go with the 38. I like the idea of the side access.

Thoughts on the 28 vs 38? And I hate to ask the ford vs chevy question but are there any other packs I should consider?

Thanks,

The MR pop-up was a major disappointment to me. I sold mine pretty quickly after getting it.

I have the Eberlestock F1 mainframe with two batwings and I wouldn't trade it for any other pack. You can zip on or off any style of bag you need, depending on the situation.

OP
R

reeltight

FNG
The MR pop-up was a major disappointment to me. I sold mine pretty quickly after getting it.

I have the Eberlestock F1 mainframe with two batwings and I wouldn't trade it for any other pack. You can zip on or off any style of bag you need, depending on the situation.
Great frame but probably a bit much for my general use I think. What didn't you like about the pop up?

Drenalin

WKR
I recently got a Seek Outside Revolution frame to go with their Short Tail bag I bought on here several months ago. I’m not sold on the XPac material for whitetail hunting, but that frame and suspension is absolutely amazing for me (and I’ve had Exo, MR, Kuiu and Kifaru). A Revolution frame with frame extensions removed and a Merlin for day hunts, then a bigger bag for longer trips and stick the appropriate frame extensions in as the weight goes up. I’m a big fan and think SO’s system is tough to beat.

That’s just my opinion though - the reality is what fits me well and works for me may be pure misery for you, and vice versa. Only way to know is to try the ones you’re interested in.

CoStick

WKR
The pop up as heavy or heavier than full packs. My 28 I have for friends is way heavier than my SO pack.

Brando

FNG
The pop up is a good day pack but not sure if you would want to camp out of it for more than a night or two at most. I purchased a pop up 28 for a day pack and used on a couple hunts but switched to a MR Pintler. Some may consider it big for a day pack but it fits the bill just right for me and I could camp out of it comfortably for several nights.

Great frame but probably a bit much for my general use I think. What didn't you like about the pop up?
Just not versatile enough and a pita to load camping gear on/in. The mainframe looks massive but in practice it can be pretty darn small. When I have it in day pack mode (just two batwings and bladder holster) I don't even notice it, even ducking under brush.

If you're dead set on a pop-up, I hope it works better for you than it did for me. I noticed a lot of pop-ups in the classifieds not long after I sold mine. Just sayin.

Marble

WKR
I find myself using my Cavern all the time when the potential to pack an animal out exists. It's less than 20 pounds for day pack mode at the beginning of the day and it is so comfortable to carry. I never have back or hip pain anymore.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier 3300, versatile workhorse w load shelf. Simple design, minimalist approach. Light is right.

Looked at Mystery Ranch, too heavy but comfortable.

Hornpout

FNG
If you are looking for a one pack solution my only advice is that you can make a big pack small, but you can't make a small pack big. I've run a Kifaru Argali for years now and I love it. For eastern guys, the Kifaru Stryker XL seems about perfect.

I have a similar situation and was looking for the one pack solution. I was unable to find one. I have a hunt I go on annually were there is a need for good pack that can haul meat and more gear than 80% of my stand hunts in AL. I didn't need a monster
pack for a week in the woods. I did buy a Mystery Ranch frame pack (sawtooth45)For my walk in hunt. I went back to my medium sized fanny pack for AL. My uses where just too far apart for one pack. But I hope you find your solution.

I have a Hoodlum, 44 mag, Woodsman and Stryker XL for frame pack bags. I don’t think I’ve been more impressed with a pack set up than the Stryker XL with camp bag in Colorado this year. I’ll use it to pack my lone wolf on public for whitetail in the SE. it’s just a perfect pack for what I do.

The only scenario where it might not work is a late season 8+ day trip with no resupply. I’d that’s a part of the equation for you, maybe look at the Hoodlum.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to argue with any of the big $$$ packs, For 1 bag and 1 frame I found the Exo 4800 to work best for me. Lighter than a Kifaru and a little more organizer friendly than a SG. Never tried a SEEK. I have been happy with my choice so far (3rd season) on the EXO

I'm a minimalist when it comes to bells, whistles and tech-iness. I prefer a pack which is lean, smooth, carries easily and works great while actually hunting with it on my back. The Mystery Ranch Pintler was and still is my dream-come-true all day hunting pack. As for size, you can definitely add more capacity easily simply by using an inexpensive load cell between the pack bag and frame. There's also plenty of daisy chain webbing externally for adding accessory bags or pouches if wanted.

prm

WKR
Not sure I completely understand that range of tasks you’re wanting this pack to do. However, when you say “large day pack” I think Eberlestock X2. Really a very capable pack. I have a Kifaru Stryker XL for my multi-day backcountry hunts, but for a lot if other stuff the X2 always impresses me.

prm

WKR
When kifaru makes a 357 stryker it will be the only pack I need.
For the larger bag or the 357 mag/Kutthroat frame?

I could see that lighter frame paired with a Stryker-like bag (lighter materials and less PALS webbing) really having merit. Basically a 4lb Stryker comfortable up to 80ish lbs. Would be plenty for me. Ring, ring, hello, Aron…

Last edited:
I don't want to beat a dead horse over this pack or that pack but I need to buy a pack and I'll be a one pack kind of guy...like a large day pack. Most of my hunts are tree stand hunts in SC so a pack is generally not needed but I could see myself potentially using one if I had one. But I do hike and camp some with my boys and we do have some western deer, antelope and fingers crossed an elk hunt coming up next year so, I'm in the market.

I'm leaning towards the mystery ranch pop ups. Would this suit my needs to serve as a day pack and camp pack as well as a small meat hauler or is this going to be too big for a day pack? I realize there's going to be some give and take trying to find an all-in-one but looking for some input from real experiences.

It doesn't look like there's much difference in size from the 28 to 38 when compressed so I assume I'd go with the 38. I like the idea of the side access.

Thoughts on the 28 vs 38? And I hate to ask the ford vs chevy question but are there any other packs I should consider?

Thanks,
As a full time hunting guide in central Idaho. I have used several of the major pack companies over the years. Stone Glacier is worth every penny and there customer service is top notch. I am currently using there new evo 6900. But for your needs I’d look at the 40/56

eoperator

WKR
For the larger bag or the 357 mag/Kutthroat frame?

I could see that lighter frame paired with a Stryker-like bag really having merit. Basically a 4lb Stryker comfortable up to 80ish lbs. Would be plenty for me. Ring, ring, hello, Aron…
I was thinking 357 bag/stryker layout for frame packs, but with your idea thrown in the mix I might need 2 packs😗

Reactions: prm