If you could only give one piece of advice to a new elk hunter, what would it be?

-don’t get caught up in the gear race
-good hunting partners are hard to find
-invest in good boots/pack, you can cheap out on the rest until you know what you like/need
-don’t ask for honey holes
-don’t share your honey holes
-OnX is awesome IMO
-be careful of the hunting photos you post online
-bury your poop

-don’t get caught up in the gear race
-good hunting partners are hard to find
-invest in good boots/pack, you can cheap out on the rest until you know what you like/need
-don’t ask for honey holes
-don’t share your honey holes
-OnX is awesome IMO
-be careful of the hunting photos you post online
-bury your poop
This ☝️

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Respecting the Elk's ability to smell has been mentioned a couple of times, I would impress how important learning the thermals and if they aren't steady get on the same elevation as the elk and get close. I am always checking the wind I go through a bottle of powder in a weeks hunt.

Catahoula

WKR
An experienced hunt mentor can bring vast knowledge to elk hunting. Personally, I have hunted with a couple guys that have been around elk longer than I and have been tremendously helpful.

Spend as much time hunting as you did online thinking and planning and talking about it!

Just make sure you have a warm dry place to sleep without condensation so you can dry clothes. Sleeping in a truck where the inside of the windows are covered it water every morning is no way to spend a week. We spend a couple days setting a base camp and hauling cutting splitting and stacking wood. But then we hunt like machines. Even if you plan to backpack hunt you’ll appreciate a base camp to retreat to at some point.

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Be patient.
Enjoy being out there
Don't worry about posting shit on the web
Just enjoy the tag in your pocket.
Best of luck.
Stay longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Stay mobile when possible, only planning to hunt one spot you spend hours hiking into it better be a premium tag IMO.