If Tikkas are so good, then why is the classifieds filled with them?

Erik1972

FNG
I am doing my research right now for a new rifle to tinker with and possibly do some long range shooting with. Of course, I have a budget so it sounds like it will be a Tikka, Remington or something along those lines. I have read many posts on people upselling the Tikkas a great deal on here. But when you look at a the classifieds, just about every fourth post is for selling a Tikka rifle or parts of a Tikka. Just curious as to why. No debating or anything, just curious as I start my research for a solid long range gun.

Thanks, Erik

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
They're kind of like Kifaru packs....lots of aftermarket pieces/parts available and lots of ways to customize DIY projects based on Tikka actions. I think guys barely get acquainted with a rifle and start planning a new project. Personally, I have 6 Tikkas, 3 of which could show up for sale at any minute (and then would likely be replaced with a new Tikka to dabble with.)

I highly recommend them. What chambering is on your list?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Many people buy a factory tikka rifle then part them out.

They do this because they like the actions so much but the factory chambering offerings sometimes don’t fit their needs.

Unfortunately there isn’t a huge market offering for just tikka actions (one company I can think of). And those actions are within about $100 of a new rifle.

So people buy them new and then sell the barrel, bottom metal, stock, magazines. These parts can all be had with “upgraded” aftermarket for reasonably cheap too.

I’ve had a few. People aren’t selling them because they suck, I can nearly promise you (not to say there isn’t a lemon or two out there).

Many people are buying Tikkas just for the actions, then selling off everything else and using the action as a starting point for a build... Very few people who have owned/shot Tikkas will talked badly about their overall quality, accuracy, etc.. The availability of pre-fit barrels, aftermarket stocks, and other upgraded accessories make the TIKKA actions prime candidates for a build or upgrade.. For the money the TIKKA platform is pretty hard to beat.. The TIKKA out of the box will meet the needs of the vast majority of hunters/shooters.. You'll probably find that the Rem 700 and other production actions are used in the same way.. Once you determine what your needs/expectation are, what your budget is, etc, etc you'll settle into a short list of rifles that will do the job.. TIKKAs are not the only choice, but based upon what's out there and your needs, they will probably stay on the list for consideration.. I wouldn't necessarily draw any negetive conclusions for TIKKA showing up in sales/trades... I think that if you were able to survey the sellers/traders very few of them would openly speak too badly about TIKKAs.. Usually they want to just try something new, more custom, new caliber, different configuration, etc, etc.. You are absolutely doing the right thing by doing your legwork, defining your expectations, etc.. I have several TIKKAS (as well as other makes), but can honesty say that I haven't regretted buying any of them and have yet to be disappointed with their accuracy if I do my part (Especially at this price range) Good luck with whatever you settle into..

I have a super T3X CTR with 12 rounds through it in the classified ads (6.5cm) if that is anything that interests you..

Last edited:
The rifles for sale are probably just traditional rifle ADHD, bought something they wanted and now want something else and want to sell to get it. Tikka rifles are solid for a factory rifle.

Parts are most likely people just upgrading. I don't get buying one and parting them out for just the action though, for a few hundred $$ more you can have a Bighorn Origin which is a better action all around.

Vaultman

WKR
I bought a used one from someone on here. It was my first tikka. I have never had such an accurate rifle. First time I took it out, a friend of mine shot it. Just over 1" group, at 300 yards! it is a 100% stock tikka roughtech.

id_jon

WKR
If I had to guess based on myself, they're probably similar to swfa scopes, I have more than one, so if I need to fund another project, I can sell my extra tikka or extra swfa and I'll miss it a little less than if I sell something that I only have one of.

OP
E

Erik1972

FNG
They're kind of like Kifaru packs....lots of aftermarket pieces/parts available and lots of ways to customize DIY projects based on Tikka actions. I think guys barely get acquainted with a rifle and start planning a new project. Personally, I have 6 Tikkas, 3 of which could show up for sale at any minute (and then would likely be replaced with a new Tikka to dabble with.)

I highly recommend them. What chambering is on your list?
260. 6.5 CM or .308 maybe

Ever notice all the Nightforce scopes for sale. I dont think you can say they arent good. People like to try things. Ill probably be selling a Tikka 7 SAUM shortly because I am going to try a different caliber and dont like holding onto stuff I dont use. Ill have that new one in my hand shortly and be selling the never fired Tikka 300WM barrel that was taken off to convert it.

mt100gr.

WKR
260. 6.5 CM or .308 maybe
Are you wanting it to be "lightweight"? Will you suppress it?

Are you looking for a project right off the bat or something that you could potentially do the tinkering down the road if you want.

A Tikka CTR in 6.5CM is the turn-key rifle that I'd be looking at if you don't mind a little extra weight. It'll do just fine in factory form with endless options to customize down the road.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Ever notice all the Nightforce scopes for sale. I dont think you can say they arent good. People like to try things. Ill probably be selling a Tikka 7 SAUM shortly because I am going to try a different caliber and dont like holding onto stuff I dont use. Ill have that new one in my hand shortly and be selling the never fired Tikka 300WM barrel that was taken off to convert it.
PM me when you decide to get rid of the barrel. I may be interested.
Thanks

PM me when you decide to get rid of the barrel. I may be interested.
Thanks

Depending on which barrel you're referring to.. I'm pretty sure i've got a 300wm super lite take off around here someone that i'll not be using.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on which barrel you're referring to.. I'm pretty sure i've got a 300wm super lite take off around here someone that i'll not be using.
Not to derail this thread, but I have a new Tikka 300WM that has a bronze ceracoated 24.3 inch barrel. I have a suppressor on order and was thinking about having it shortened to 21 or 22 inches. Just enough to stay off of the fluting. Kicking the idea around about getting a spare barrel to play with.