If Thorofare is the gold standard, bucket list hunt...

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Arizona Indian reservations. Cha ching But you did use the word epic. When I think of epic they come to mind.
A bull Elk on NM reservation will run anywhere from $7000-$10000. I am a meat hunter so I always put in for cow, $950, Leaving Monday for 4 day hunt. I have seen several real nice Bull elk taken off res. If you are into Mule deer, be prepared to lay out $40K.

WKR
Not hunting the west this year, but kicking around ideas for something epic for when I retire in a couple of years…….
I believe red stag in Argentina or New Zealand would be epic.

That’s not exactly answering the question asked, but I believe it would be epic.

Go do the Thorofare hunt. I hunted it last year on the first rifle hunt and we had a great time. We went 8 for 10 on 6 point bulls and the other two hunters had opportunities. It was a great experience. I liked it so much I’m going back in ‘27. You might want to start checking with outfitters. Some of the good ones are booked up 5 years out (hence the ‘27 hunt). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nontyp

FNG
We hunted it this year and had a great hunt. Getting back in the points game

eoperator

WKR
Got a horse and 2 mules now. NR needs a guide at $9k for the week.
Thats part of why I was looking at what would be similar that I could DIY.
Alaska and Canadian (other species) hunts can be done for that $ or less.

Natekraft

FNG
If Thorofare is the gold standard, bucket list hunt, as far as quality elk, decent success rate, wilderness experience type of hunt, what are the runners up?

Not hunting the west this year, but kicking around ideas for something epic for when I retire in a couple of years, Right now Thorfare would be "The Hunt". But interested in what else might be out there for a true bucket list type Western hunt. More about the once in a lifetime experience than an trophy focused hunt. Guided or DIY. Something I could draw without a 15 year accumulation of preference points, etc.

Areas like the Flat Gila in NM? Colorado 2, 201?
Thorofare is a commercialized outfitters hangout with a few good bulls taken. 10 years late on that hunt imo. Lots of public land, DIY hunts that are way better than that with a little research… Or spend 15k for a landowner tag in NM!

Mojave

WKR
If you have $$,$$$ $8000-15,000, and want an epic hunt any Northern BC moose, elk, goat hunt would be that.

Unit 60 the Buffalo Thorofare (now known as the Thorofare) is epic. There are better units for elk, but they require all the points in the world, or all the money.

Experience in 60 is going to be as wild as you can get in the lower 48. Both kinds of bears, lions, wolves, bison, moose, sheep and goats. Might even see a wolverine, lynx or a fisher.

Thorofare is a commercialized outfitters hangout with a few good bulls taken. 10 years late on that hunt imo. Lots of public land, DIY hunts that are way better than that with a little research… Or spend 15k for a landowner tag in NM!

You sound bitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rem
Thorofare is hot or miss with weather.

Resident bull herd and transients exiting the park. Both conduct diff movements.

If warm (too early) resident herd and no park herd movement out.

If big snow dump occurred (too late) then you miss both

There’s always a chance that the resident herd moved out and park herd hasn’t moved lol.

Guess that’s why they call it hunting

But- upside is that if everything aligns you have a great hunt for bull elk.

—-

I’d have to think Montana and Idaho have a few spots that are deep (maybe more so for deer too !?)

sneaky

"DADDY"
My boss's son killed a 330-340 bull in New Zealand when they were down there hunting for stags and chamois. Weird texture to the horns, they get so much moisture it was almost like they were a dry sponge kinda feeling. Very light compared to horns here. Cheaper than $9k and there's zero bears, wolves, or lions down there lol.

JP100

WKR
My boss's son killed a 330-340 bull in New Zealand when they were down there hunting for stags and chamois. Weird texture to the horns, they get so much moisture it was almost like they were a dry sponge kinda feeling. Very light compared to horns here. Cheaper than $9k and there's zero bears, wolves, or lions down there lol.

I think you'll find it was behind wire.....didnt get a chance to strip out properly, and thus had 'weird' texture. Farm deer often have much lighter antler than wild deer, different texture, becuase they dont strip out properly

JP100

WKR
If I was going for a 'real wilderness' Elk hunt, for me I would be hunting Maral in Kazakhstan.

I hunted Ibex there a few years ago, and saw some amazing bulls, in true alpine wilderness, hunts are 9 days, horseback wilderness style. They run high success. Beautiful country. and pricing was on par with 'cheaper' Elk hunts. I know a few hunters who have done this hunt since my Ibex, all had great hunts and shot big bulls

WYcoyote

FNG
Haven't been in the Thorofare since 1979. A long ride, lots of elk, a great experience.
Looks like there has been quite a fire since, looking at Google Earth.

Archery resident herd

Need the snow for the park herd, which usually occurs after archery season.

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going for a 'real wilderness' Elk hunt, for me I would be hunting Maral in Kazakhstan.

I hunted Ibex there a few years ago, and saw some amazing bulls, in true alpine wilderness, hunts are 9 days, horseback wilderness style. They run high success. Beautiful country. and pricing was on par with 'cheaper' Elk hunts. I know a few hunters who have done this hunt since my Ibex, all had great hunts and shot big bulls
, i think you will recognise the camp. Maral are just 👌

I have a friend that was in the ideal area you are referring to this year, all guided up and all. Packed in for this amazing hunt and didn't see a dang thing. All the while he had the opportunity to come with me on DIY general and we brought back elk. Funny how that works?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
This happens more times than not. The thorofare used to be a different place than it is today. While there are still elk, it’s just not the same. I would go to a different part of the state if I wanted to fight grizzlies but get into better quality elk. The logistics of getting in there can be pretty brutal. It’s a long horse ride in there.

yfarm

WKR
Hunted South Fork of the Shoshone headwaters 2nd week of Oct 22, one drainage southeast of the Thorofare. 7 hr ride from the trailhead, full camp, rode out daily up to 3 hrs. 5 hunters in camp, one rag bull killed. My son and I had one shot at a good bull during the 5 day hunt, was a great experience overall. Was up close with a sow and 2 cubs in heavy cover on horseback one morning and every day had fresh grizz tracks everywhere we went. Our week elk were way high, saw bulls a mile away fighting on a cliff at 11k feet. Just couldnt get to them.