Ideas for busted FL pants??

Well, I blew out the crotch on yet another pair of FL pants wool pants…
Looked perfect at the beginning of a 5 mi hike, next thing I know, I have a beyond-repair hole. Pretty disappointing.

Anyways, I’m a frugal guy who likes to makes stuff, so let’s hear some ideas on how to turn these into something cool!

A couple ideas:
cut the legs off at the knees and sew them onto a pair of shorts

Flat the fabric open and turn it into belt pouches or a cover for a small backpack for hunting Blacktail (nice and quiet)

Couple it with some insulation and Make a pair of mittens

Whatcha think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
Send them back for repair if that is an option. If not, and you like them, put them up in a closet. Buy another pair and when you blow those out use fabric from the put up pair to repair the new ones.

Cut the legs off...sew the knee end together..makes a great bag to store spent casings for reloading.

Sounds like you might be able to get a leg bag and use the other leg to patch the hole for shorts.

I've tried to get FL to repair minor damage to my pants and they wouldn't at any price. Even though they're not as tough as plastic pants (nylon, etc) I still think they're the best thing going. I would save your busted pants to use as patch material because FL CS has told me they would send me patch material several times and never did.

OP
cvandervort
Yeah - I called FL and got some of that stretchy material to patch it, but it seems as though the issue is always at the seam…

This is the second time. Luckily I was only day hunting from the truck. I’d hate to be rocking a kilt on a multi-day backpack hunt…

I'd say its time to try something other than FL pants if they keep failing.

I’ve pushed through some really nasty stuff with mine and only got what I deserved. So far one spark hole and one tear from a broken spruce limb that I should have avoided (you know the little pungee sticks on deadfall that are always reaching for the femoral artery). These FL wool pants are still the best available for something I’ll wear around the clock in the backcountry for a week.

rm406

FNG
I patched my old set with some thin wool sock tops. The socks had a heel blowout but the tops were fine. Limped the pants through another season but they were wearing so thin you could see daylight through the rear and some sagebrush tore holes in the font of both shins. The patches held up though!