Idaho youth cluster bang.....

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
So my son turns ten(today actually) and was looking at putting him in for Idaho youth controlled hunt. Built him a profile and went to go about putting him in for the controlled deer/elk youth hunts.
However, had a few questions in regards to the hunt lic. requirements. as the only option for a hunt lic is the mentored youth. However with that lic. the accompanying adult (me) has to have a tag as well. Now I'm only putting him in for a controlled youth hunt. So, obviously Im not a youth and have already applied for the other species draw so im not eligible to apply for this application.
So what he heck.....I'll just called IDGAF.
This is what I found as there is some different info floating around online.
1) NR under 12 years old are only eligible for the mentored hunt lic.
2) with that hunt lic. they can apply or buy the tags desired.
HOWEVER if they have a tag; controlled or general the accompany adult is required to have the same SPECIES tag as well.
So I have a general elk tag already.... if my son draws a elk tag.... we are good.
If he draws a deer tag, I HAVE to buy a deer tag for his hunt to be valid.
So, as most know NR deer tags are gone.... so I have to HOPE to pick up a return tag knowing it will almost certainly be thrown in the trash.
Now, I believe( feel free to chime in if Im wrong here) if I buy a general rifle hunt( off the return list) and I buy him a youth general deer OTC tag after the controlled draw if he doesn't draw a controlled hunt. Then yes, we would have a hunt still.
He wants to hunt pretty bad, and to be honest I probably want to see him hunt more then he wants to hunt..... so.... Ill be watching the return list on May 18th

P.S. leave me a deer tag on the 18th gents🙏

The adult only requires a same species tag not necessarily the exact GMU/controlled tag.

Nonresidents age 10 and older who possess a nonresident junior mentored hunting license, must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years or older who holds a current year license and tag that is valid for the same species as the youth hunter. The accompanying adult must be close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices, and may hunt while participating in the mentored hunting program. The licensed adult may not accompany more than two youth at a time. A tag that has already been filled still meets the tag possession requirement. • Nonresident youth ages 12 to 17, who possess a full price hunting license are not required to follow the “accompanied by” rule in the field.

OP
H

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Correct. However there was info online stating you could buy the youth a regular NR hunt lic. and apply them in the controlled hunt app. and if draw there good to hunt.
After the my phone conversation, yes the adult has to have the same species tag but doesn't have to be the exact GMU/ draw tag.
If just seems like a absolute cluster bang to me I guess. I might understand the adult having to have say a lic. but to require the adult to posses the same species tag..... bit of a stretch .... now Im going to buy a deer tag to waste just so my son cant hunt..... where as im sure another NR would like to actually have that tag.

True. But the price of the mentor tag is unmatched. But I understand your lens.

This feels like an unintended ripple effect of the recent NR quota changes. It seems like requiring the accompanying adult to have a hunting license should be sufficient to ensure that the mentored youth hunter has the a qualified mentor. It would be a good thing to see this requirement change, unless there was some other purpose to this requirement that I am missing.