Idaho Unit 63

Shanejs1

FNG
So there were very few units left when grabbing tags yesterday and was stuck with grabbing Unit 63. Obviously it’s Archery or close range weapon hunting only. Not extremely familiar with the unit, it’ll be a first for me and my buddy. Calling Fish and Game to get some more information and the low down as much as possible and have started my e scouting with maps. Looks very flat and majority of it is owned by private/energy company only about 40% BLM. Trying to figure out what the best plan of attack is for this unit or any tips or pointers from anyone that has hunted it or is familiar with it. Not asking for spots as I am not that guy just a point in the right direction or anything helpful information would be appreciated greatly. Thanks I’m advance!
Shane

OP
S

Shanejs1

FNG
OnX shows a decent buck icon near mud lake wildlife management area...

View attachment 482957
I found that too and its a symbol for mud lake wildlife management area. Not sure if you can hunt that with a general tag or what the deal is. I’m going to try and get some more information out of a local biologist.

johnsd16

WKR
You can hunt mud lake WMA as far as I know. You can also call the INL folks and get a map that shows where you can hunt that too (it’s not much). I’ve hunted 63-2 for antelope with the kids and I can count on one hand how many deer I saw and I think they were all white tails in the WMA. To be fair the tag kept us north of Hwy 33 but were were all over the sage and ag country and I can’t recall seeing almost any deer. I know guys talk about there being decent mule deer to the east of there but that was 30yrs ago.

Also keep in mind the southern portion of the unit is very close to IF. Lots of people and hunters there so if the hunting is good there will be an unlimited number of resident archery hunters on their general tag.

johnsd16

WKR
Wondering how this went. We just got back from pronghorn hunting and did see a couple mule deer, two in mud lake wma and one WAY out in the sage no man’s land. Also saw two white tails.

Pronghorn were few and far between, way down from 2020 to my eye.