Idaho Unit Mulies

Hey guys,
I’m an Idaho native looking into unit for mule deer this year. I have a few spots in mind already, but I was hoping to gather some more intel…

- for September (archery deer) how much pressure does that particular unit see from Elk hunters? I know the Smoky Bennett is fairly popular…

- likewise what kind of pressure during October for the deer season? Lots of road hunters? Lots of guys packing in?

- Have you ever run into sheep herders in the area? If so, any particular drainages they were hanging out in?

I hunt lots of other areas in Idaho and would be happy to swap notes for any of you. Feel free to PM me or post in comments. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
It’s very popular for archery elk and rifle deer. There are lots of road hunters, atv, side by side, and it’s a very popular area with motorcycles since there are a number of trails that are single track only. In 5+ years hunting it I’ve not run into sheep. I would say 90% of people that hunt it are hiking less than a half mile from their motor vehicle so if you end up hiking a bunch you will be able to beat the crowds. (This post could be written about almost all units anywhere in the west, but I know it to be true about 43 because there isn’t a lot of roadless or trail-free areas).

ID_Matt

WKR
It is extremely popular in rifle season - lot of road hunters and a lot of guys packing in. It gets less crowded as the season goes on. I have thought I was getting a long ways from people, only to find 2-3 camps set up in a drainage a long ways from any road.

I'm planning my first hunt there this year - I drew the October controlled either sex rifle tag to have as many options as possible. I plan on hiking in from one of the river-side towns mid season and camping between 6000-8000 feet depending on conditions.
In my pre season scouting so far I have already encountered some local dirt-bike-riding shed hunters who encouraged that I was in the right spot - so I assume it will be very well travelled on the two-track and even single track trails by dirtbikes etc. My plan is to hike past and above.

OP
Bigbenhunter98
It is extremely popular in rifle season - lot of road hunters and a lot of guys packing in. It gets less crowded as the season goes on. I have thought I was getting a long ways from people, only to find 2-3 camps set up in a drainage a long ways from any road.
Any particular area of the unit where you’ve seen more crowding? (N, E, S, or W is just fine:) did fair weather seem to be a factor? I typically shoot for the about the worst weather I can find to hunt during

D-How200

FNG
I've been hunting that unit for a long while. You won't have much of a chance getting away from people. Consistency and patience kills the big bucks in the OTC units. Putting your time in over and over and over again gains priceless information only you get. I can give you some info I've learned over the years hunting it. I'll send you a message.

OP
Bigbenhunter98
I've been hunting that unit for a long while. You won't have much of a chance getting away from people. Consistency and patience kills the big bucks in the OTC units. Putting your time in over and over and over again gains priceless information only you get. I can give you some info I've learned over the years hunting it. I'll send you a message.
I’d appreciate that man!

OP
Bigbenhunter98
Should be able to… hit the envelope icon at the top of the page and then tap “start a new conversation”

bulldoza

FNG
Hi Please send me a pm. I guide in unit 45 but have a general . I have good Intel already and have scouted 2 or 3 days. Just looking to compare some notes. Thx!

D-How200

FNG
Bulldoza I have no idea how to send messages. If you're a guide in 45 you have valuable information at your fingertips tips. Get a hold of some of the other guides that guide 45. They should help you out if their any kind of a FRIEND. Give me a message if you can figure it out and I'll tell a little of you what I know.

bulldoza

FNG
Bulldoza I have no idea how to send messages. If you're a guide in 45 you have valuable information at your fingertips tips. Get a hold of some of the other guides that guide 45. They should help you out if their any kind of a FRIEND. Give me a message if you can figure it out and I'll tell a little of you what I know.
Thx. I have. That's the Intel I have. I still like to gather all the info i can. Metaphoricly speaking, it's better to read 10 books vs 4. Thx.

Going to be taking a number of youth hunters into this year, just curious if anyone has any insight into how this warmer weather will be affecting deer movements and the migration over the next couple weeks. I'm hoping these kids have a positive experience, see lots of deer, whether they tag out or not.

Going to be taking a number of youth hunters into this year, just curious if anyone has any insight into how this warmer weather will be affecting deer movements and the migration over the next couple weeks. I'm hoping these kids have a positive experience, see lots of deer, whether they tag out or not.
I'm having similar questions in my own head with these warm temperatures. I hate to say it, but it sure won't work in our favor. I went out to one of the units listed above yesterday for the opener and didn't see a single deer. I have a feeling all the big bucks are going to remain in the mountains until pretty late in the season. Could be a pretty tough season for us unfortunately.

So, I would assume the deer are more nocturnal with the full moon and warmer daytime temps? Are we just not seeing them because they are hidden during the day, or are we not seeing them because they are delaying their migration until the colder weather comes in (and they just arent where they normally are this time of year)? At some point these deer have to begin their migration in spite of warmer weather, so that they dont get caught up high when the weather changes. How late could that be? End of Oct? Mid Nov?

So, I would assume the deer are more nocturnal with the full moon and warmer daytime temps? Are we just not seeing them because they are hidden during the day, or are we not seeing them because they are delaying their migration until the colder weather comes in (and they just arent where they normally are this time of year)? At some point these deer have to begin their migration in spite of warmer weather, so that they dont get caught up high when the weather changes. How late could that be? End of Oct? Mid Nov?
All animals growing their winter coats are going to limit their movements during the day when there are warmer temps.

I would assume it is a combination of both factors you listed. Warmer temps are going to limit deer and elk movements once they have grown their winter coats. I would also assume there are big bucks that use snowfall and colder temps to signal the beginning of their winter migration.

Lets both remember that "migration" is used loosely here. There are big bucks spread all throughout these units. Even if one masher buck is staying up high due to lack of snowfall doesn't mean that you won't run into another pig of a buck in more accessible areas. Just try to get off those roads and trails and good things will happen. Those kids will enjoy the experience hiking around and pushing themselves, especially if you wind up getting a deer. Good Luck!

I agree that temps in the 70s are not abnormal, but i cant think of a season in the past 5 or 6 years in that had sustained temps this high for this long. Usually by this time, there have been at least a few cool days, and most years we have seen at least 1 snow fall by this time. With highs in the mid 80s all last week, and the forecast still well into the 70s with no moisture for the next week or so, Im just curious as to the effect it will have (if any). Like other's comments, i did not see deer like I usually do on opening day. Dont know if its a combo of the heat, full moon, or Im just blind.
You all do realize that daytime temps in the 70’s are pretty normal for south Idaho this time of year right? The deer will migrate like they always do