Idaho spring bear for the first time.

A buddy and I are planning a spring bear trip to Idaho this year and are looking at the panhandle region. Thinking maybe units 4,6,7…anyone have any tips or advice for us before we take off that way? Thinking late may early June and maybe 5-9 days out. Thanks for the help

Geewhiz

WKR
Jesse, welcome to the slide. Where will you be coming from? Do you have experience hunting spring bears?

As with all bear hunting, bring your glass and your patience.

OP
J
We will be coming from oregon, we do spring bear hunt here. But from all my reading and internet scouting, where we hunt here looks completely different from there. But we are looking for that. More or less looking for something new, new places new adventure. A guy I spoke with said those three units would be fun to hunt spring bears in, so that’s what we are gonna try. Have you hunted them for bears?

OP
J
So me and a couple buddy’s have been scouring the internet trying to gain as much info as we can to be successful on this trip. We will be spot and stalking bears here the first week of June, we are not tied down to any specific spot at all. We had figured 4,6,7 but the more I read the more it looks like 4 gets hammered and hound hunters and bait stations are gonna hurt us as far as being successful. So now we are looking towards unit 1 and we are up for anything if any one can point us in a direction. Not scared to walk at all, just limited as far as back country. We don’t have the gear to stay out of a backpack for the week. So we will be coming back to the truck every night and camping out of the truck. So any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Not asking for hotspots or honey holes. Just a direction for us to head off to.

MHWASH

WKR
Look for clear cuts or logged areas 2-10 years old. Preferably if there is a locked gate at the main rd. The roads leading to the cut should have lots of grass growing on it, so still hunt your way in.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Welcome. There are several threads on spring bear hunting, and specifically for Idaho. Lots of good info there, you can use the search function to find it.

OP
J
Look for clear cuts or logged areas 2-10 years old. Preferably if there is a locked gate at the main rd. The roads leading to the cut should have lots of grass growing on it, so still hunt your way in.
Yeah that’s the plan, hopefully we will be half way successful.

Find closed logging roads and still hunt them. The grass usually pops up on the cut bank first, you’ll find lots of bears just hogging down on that first grass.

OP
J
Got a couple weeks and we will be headed over to hunt. We chose to do the reduced priced tags this year. Has anyone had any luck or seen any bears yet?