Idaho Sawtooth B tag

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for intel on Sawtooth B tag in Idaho. I will be doing a couple scouting trips but would appreciate any head start I can get.

You will get help in here with every detail associated with elk hunting, except location. Words of advice, your first few post, asking for help about a specific location/GMU does not score any points in here. Naming GMU's & locations is the equivalent of posting nude pics. I will give you some great Intel. Get in shape the Sawtooth's will humble you. Good luck with your hunt. Use the search function to answer questions you might have.

OP
dplumlee12

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice... rookie move on my part. Just thought it might be different here than on facebook... my mistake... Funny, if anybody wanted intel on NV I would have zero issues helping... not sure why people make it such a big deal... I go out of my way to help fellow hunters/fishermen be successful but I guess I'm in the minority.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nevada is a very limited opportunity state, no comparison between it and high opportunity state like Idaho. You won't be able to access a lot of Sawtooth country til July most likely with snow pack levels where they are now. You've got plenty of time to e-scout and talk to biologists.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well its definitely not wise to be posting juicy specifics about any easily obtainable tag anywhere that can be found through a simple Google search.. FWIW i may be wrong but i think it might be worse to post that stuff here than Facebook, cause i dont have a Facebook and it wont let me look at anything on there but you dont need an account to view threads on here and if you google up specific things related to anything hunting, threads on this site are often at the top. Yet i never had a Facebook so im not sure how location specific info is treated/viewed on there.

My opinion, asking for a PM with that tag specific info and explaining that you have info on your spots you'd reciprocate with in return in the post(maybe after contributing to the forum a bit first) might be a better way to go about that. Many on here get tired of seeing how many people's first and sometimes only posts are this exact same type. Not saying that was your intention, just saying it happens almost daily it seems. Good luck with your hunt and welcome to the forum either way! I have never hunted there but if someone has, hopefully they send you any hard earned info they wanna share privately

OP
dplumlee12

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
I understand... For future posters on this thread... save the negative comments... I get it... I preface with, I have already and will continue to do due diligence. I am a fairly avid hunter who has primarily hunted NV. I know Idaho out of state is going to be challenging. I have ONX, I use google earth, I've watched most of the videos available. I plan to do 2 scouting trips. I know to get 2 to 3 miles off the beaten path. I'm already training in the gym for this hunt. I purchased a backpacking hot tent and the gear to get back in deep.

As for those who warned me and welcomed me early, Thank you sincerely.

I think talking to biologists and game wardens before your scouting trips may give you a general idea on where/what to look for. Good luck sir, let us know how it pans out this fall👍

KurtR

WKR
Great advice... rookie move on my part. Just thought it might be different here than on facebook... my mistake... Funny, if anybody wanted intel on NV I would have zero issues helping... not sure why people make it such a big deal... I go out of my way to help fellow hunters/fishermen be successful but I guess I'm in the minority.
Well i busted my ass for 5 years there to kill an elk. 2-3 miles is where every one else is. Snow and weather can be a real factor hunted one year and never got above freezing. Where you see elk in the early scouting probably isnt where they will be once rifle rolls around. My success happened because my brother moved there and spent alot of time scouting right up to the season and we hunted with a guy who has hunted it for 20 years. How ever tough people tell you the country is its tougher in real life words do it no justice. Thats why people are not going to give up info to spots as they are very hard earned and learned.

OP
dplumlee12

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
Well i busted my ass for 5 years there to kill an elk. 2-3 miles is where every one else is. Snow and weather can be a real factor hunted one year and never got above freezing. Where you see elk in the early scouting probably isnt where they will be once rifle rolls around. My success happened because my brother moved there and spent alot of time scouting right up to the season and we hunted with a guy who has hunted it for 20 years. How ever tough people tell you the country is its tougher in real life words do it no justice. Thats why people are not going to give up info to spots as they are very hard earned and learned.
Glad you had the opportunity to lean on some local knowledge to be successful. Kinda what I'm asking for as well. Nobody is going to give me info that puts me on an elk but every piece of intel will help, even what you just shared does. I'll piece it all together and hopefully I'll harvest. If not, I know I'll have a great time trying.

IdahoElk

WKR
I was thinking 33 being that all videos and info i've found is hunters coming up from stanley. Honestly, I was just looking to get away from people and not looking at terrain yet.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that side of the Sawtooths.

Spoonbill

WKR
Buy a wolf tag, there are a lot in the sawtooths. I have a few friends that hunt in the Sawtooth zone and they keep their spots secret even amongst their close friends. I know this isn’t helpful but it is how the Sawtooth zone is, especially for elk.
As others have said, it can be a pretty brutal place to hunt.

OP
dplumlee12

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a wolf tag, there are a lot in the sawtooths. I have a few friends that hunt in the Sawtooth zone and they keep their spots secret even amongst their close friends. I know this isn’t helpful but it is how the Sawtooth zone is, especially for elk.
Appreciate the info. I will pick up a wolf tag. According to my tag I can harvest either a wolf, bear or bull elk. I'll hold out for the elk for a minute but not sure how long.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man, you're crazy if you put a $650 elk tag on a wolf when you can buy a wolf tag for $41.75 or so. Bear tag that's good statewide is less than $200. No way would I use an elk tag on a wolf.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Our stomping grounds, great advise on a wolf tag. Another tip, start working out, this is more like hunting mountain goats than elk, and we see goats almost everyday in our grounds.

Huntnnw

WKR
Id advise not to go deep and plan on staying in for a days if you are not into elk or know elk are historically in the area you are hunting. Id go before it opens to scout, day hunt from truck till you find elk then pack in.

horse43

FNG
PM inbound. Got the tag with a buddy as well. Happy to share info and compare notes. Similar situation to you though, first time in the unit. My buddy and I got some okay spots in line and somehow both had access about 10 minutes apart and the only tags left we had an interest in was the Sawtooth B tag and both were able to get it in the cart. Baring any permit draws and with our deer schedules, we'll be there the last week of the season.