Idaho panhandle elk hunting

chaggard

FNG
Hello all
I am a recent transplant to the Spokane area, I have hunted Colorado the last 20 years and am going to hunt Idaho for the first time this year. I had planned on hunting the panhandle but wanted your opinion. Would you rather hunt the panhandle or the Selway? I am in great shape, have no trouble with back country hunting. I love both archery and rifle. I will have plenty of time to scout this summer just trying to decide where to spend my first season. If you have any advice for a first time Idaho hunter I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.

I do pretty decent for myself here. My advice would be hunt them like you would hunt a Roosevelt elk. Lots of the advice on podcasts and online lessons and what not is geared towards country that has some open spaces. You’re going to find very little open space here, and they don’t rip out huge bugles all over the place.

gaggiffin

FNG
So I just started scouting the unit three area from coeur d alene. Seen a few fresh tracks, tons of older shit piles. The further from the roads I go the more I see. My main problem is, I’m finding it In areas that are so thick that it would be impossible to hunt anyway other than from a blind or tree stand. Also it will be a hellacious pack out!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
North Idaho at its finest but this can offer incredibly intense bugling at Extremely close quarters like few places….you just may never see them or get an unobstructed shot thus why my average shot distance is about 17 yds with closet 4.5….good luck🤙 It can be verrrry frustrating but that is hunting and it lets you make bold moves and learn a lot about the rut👊 if a good day you keep the wind in your favor and have the stamina the chess game can be played for hours nothing like it👍

Attachments

• C573F6A6-3935-4322-80BF-018BF6ACFE4E.jpeg
    C573F6A6-3935-4322-80BF-018BF6ACFE4E.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited: