Idaho OTC deer what if question.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
What if you had a general deer tag that was good anywhere in the Idaho, where would you go?

I was lucky enough to pull a low number in the sale and got a deer tag good for any OTC hunt. I’d like to focus on mule deer. I have a couple of units in mind (21,28,36B) to narrow down on and plan to spend time scouting but thought I’d throw the question out and see what drops. I’ve hunted the Lemhi unit for elk several times and am familiar with parts of that country, but have never seen a lot of deer in the areas I’ve hunted in.

I‘m retiring at the end of the month, so scouting and hunting time should not be an issue……..I’m pretty sure retirement means unlimited leave time……..After living in Alaska for the last 30 something years, I’m excited to be able to mix more of my time in AK and the lower 48.

If anyone has any advice or tips, you can PM me. I’d appreciate it.

OP, just need to decide what type of terrain you prefer to hunt. OTC units vary greatly, from sage flats to alpine mountain peaks and everything in between.

Depends on how physical you want to get. Most units go to the end of October you can sometimes get lucky with weather and have bucks down low. If you don’t get lucky with weather then you get to hunt bucks at 9k in 3-4 inches of snow. This can be fun but usually is really cold. I personally like these hunt nothing like glassing bucks in the high country. Any unit you choose is going to have some kind of walking to be successful. Only a few individuals get lucky road hunting each year. Good luck wherever you choose to hunt great country everywhere.

ID_Matt

WKR
I’d probably focus on a new area since you named all those units in your first post. Expect some company :rolleyes:
Non res tags are limited - so that won't change anything, and I don't think a resident would move to a new unit based on a forum post containing units that a non resident had "in mind"

centershot

Lil-Rokslider
I’d probably focus on a new area since you named all those units in your first post. Expect some company :rolleyes:
You are not going to be alone on any general hunt........plenty of good bucks in the units you mentioned. Put in the time and with some luck you should find a decent buck. If you are looking for a real trophy then put in a LOT of TIME and you'll need a LOT of LUCK. They exist but are rare.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
i think the salmon units are overrated. id focus my efforts around elmore+boise county where historically the largest deer in the state are.(as far as general units go.)

Gobbler36

WKR
Haha get on some maps and come look around and a pick a place to go…

although I’m sure other NR could care less about spot burning and our happy to spew there garbage in this thread

BinWA

FNG
Google "Idaho mule deer migration". That should narrow it down for you.

Bachto

WKR
Your title should be changed to " I don't know where to go so please tell me"

Jokes aside I realize that it's daunting to try and commit to a unit or narrow it down. Someone already said it, find the type of terrain or hunt you want. For example: I personally like to hunt wilderness areas, for no reason other than I hate running into people motorized vehicles on trails so I first look for wilderness areas first. I choose 2 or 3 that over a quick glance look "bucky" based on personal experience and knowledge. I then dive into all of the analytics of that unit like harvest statistics. I pick which one sounds the best for me and my goals.

The bottom line is I learned there is no magical unit that is going to make me kill a deer. Also if somebody on the internet said " I killed a giant in this unit last year, here are the coordinates" doesn't mean I can go back there and kill a similar buck.

Any of the units you posted are going to take some serious boot leather to find the pockets of deer. Like others have said, it’s all about the type of hunt you want. Cruise rds, short hikes to glass, high country, low country, sage, timber, hike till you can’t and then go further, back pack , basecamp, spike camp, hotel. Each of those units and many more will offer the variety. And of course, there is deer in each. At least 1 or 2.

A hunt is better tailored to the adventure.