IDAHO / MCCALL B TAG

This will be my first Idaho ELK hunt and this is the tag I got obviously I'm not asking for your ( SPOT ) but hopefully some general knowledge and not a bunch of BS so if you have something constructive I'm all ears. I'm not afraid to put in the work and do what I need todo.. I will be SOLO so anybody that wants a hunting partner I wouldn't mind hooking up.. I don't need any gear or equipment I have everything I need and would be willing to share

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck brother. I am hunting Sawtooth as my 1st Idaho hunting trip. Made 1 scouting trip up there. Been looking online and scouring forums for any info for about 7 months. Tough country.

OP
BrokeTrapDad
Good luck brother. I am hunting Sawtooth as my 1st Idaho hunting trip. Made 1 scouting trip up there. Been looking online and scouring forums for any info for about 7 months. Tough country.
Thanks man yeah info seems to be hard these days yeah I know onx and e scout and all that but it just isnt t he same and being so far away sucks .. Id be willing to pay a guide at this point honestly to hunt the week with me im willing to hunt hard and dark to dark whatever i have todo

I know its a popular unit, some years are good, some years suck. Not sure how long you are planning to spend there, but sometimes scouting during season will give you a lot of info. Maybe take a day or two to glass and see where the pressure is and how to use that to your advantage.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
I may be able to help you out a bit. Send me a PM on the general area you are looking at. I won't give specifics on the open forum but can narrow things down for you by PM.

OP
BrokeTrapDad
I know its a popular unit, some years are good, some years suck. Not sure how long you are planning to spend there, but sometimes scouting during season will give you a lot of info. Maybe take a day or two to glass and see where the pressure is and how to use that to your advantage.
Thank you Ill have 7-9 days if it comes to that!

Hire a guide or go figure it out yourself. Plenty of us hunt out of state in new areas without trying to poach info. Shame on Wolverine for offering that information. Its so frowned upon there is a thread on here debating the ban of threads with hunt units like yours.

The fact that you come on here talking about how hard you are willing to work and then look for shortcuts says a lot about a guy. If you have 7-9 days spend 5 of it scouting and the other 4 hunting.

Last edited:

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I would not share much other than encouragement for a tag that can be easily acquired since next year a guy could return with a bus load of buddies with tags. Most of my drawn tags have been 1 in 100 or tougher draw odds where the hunting pressure is capped by the number of tags sold more than the information shared from a prior hunter. I will share some information about general areas to consider for Day 1 as the sun rises.

If tags are easy to draw for a hunt then would still share what the weather was like, if bulls were bugling, where to fuel up if is a long way from a gas station to the unit or trailhead, condition of roads and need to carry tire repair kit or chains, number of a guy that will bring horses to pack out the bull, a good place to drop off the meat to be processed, a good taxidermist, etc.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Hire a guide or go figure it out yourself. Plenty of us hunt out of state in new areas without trying to poach info. Shame on Wolverine for offering that information. Its so frowned upon there is a thread on here debating the ban of threads with hunt units like yours.

The fact that you come on here talking about how hard you are willing to work and then look for shortcuts says a lot about a guy. If you have 7-9 days spend 5 of it scouting and the other 4 hunting.
Shame on me? Until information sharing is banned, i will share any of MY info I choose to share with whoever I choose to share it with. Why are you even on this site? To be a keyboard worrior or to just stroke your ego or others who post "look at me" posts. You have your panties in a twist without even knowing what kind of info I was going to share....crowds, terrain or road conditions. Now I feel obliged to share specific drainages and routes to and from. Thanks for the encouragement. Shame on you for being self centered.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh shit. I didn't realize you were "knighted". It's an upside down world! ;)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yeah man I saw him getting his knighthood. Instead of a sword Ryan used a hammer to declare him Sir mtnwrunner. I’ll ask him to be merciful toward your comment. Imagine three goats and a mule offered will get you back in his good graces

Huntnnw

WKR
Lotta people buy a tag to hunt 1 year and never return, way I see it you need to look at as a 3 year investment to really learn and understand the areas you are hunting. You will be far more successful if you continue to hunt the area down the road

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first Idaho ELK hunt and this is the tag I got obviously I'm not asking for your ( SPOT ) but hopefully some general knowledge and not a bunch of BS so if you have something constructive I'm all ears. I'm not afraid to put in the work and do what I need todo.. I will be SOLO so anybody that wants a hunting partner I wouldn't mind hooking up.. I don't need any gear or equipment I have everything I need and would be willing to share
I am not an expert by any means, but here is my 2 cents in this thread. I wish you best of luck, I see the enthusiasm, looks like you are someone who will do anything to come home with an Elk. That can put you in an uncomfortable position or danger if you push yourself too hard, so accepting the fact that this is a fun, trial and error experience, hope for success and accept going home empty handed after trying hard will be helpful.
Now for the area, Try to watch as many youtube hunts as you can for people who hunted in your provisional area, look at the terrain, take screen shots, put notes together, no matter how careful the youtuber, they will verbalize vital info. that is gold. I got tons of info marked on my OnX hunt out of youtube.

What people don’t realize is anything written on this forum about specific units will show up in a google search. There were a couple posts in some forums by the same guys about a specific area in a unit that I hunt regularly in idaho. Grip and grin posts with tons of pics and specifics. Next year I show up and there are 20 trucks with out of state tags lined up. It was a joke, a complete zoo. Anybody who is truly passionate about hunting learns to appreciate the whole process, including scouting and learning the unit for themselves. They also learn the importance of confidentiality. I can’t hunt with one of my best friends because he won’t keep areas confidential. I hate threads like this and will post similar to what I posted above every opportunity that I get. For the reasons listed above, shame on the guys willing to give out info via PM or on these threads. You have no idea how many people that guy is going to tell. You think you are helping somebody out and the next year he shows up with 15 buddies and the area is blown out.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone truly passionate about hunting does learn to appreciate the whole process....including helping out other hunters. If you're not helping out fellow hunters you are only helping the anti hunters. Good luck this year and have a safe hunt.

OP
BrokeTrapDad
Solid advise and thank you

OP
BrokeTrapDad
Shame on me? Until information sharing is banned, i will share any of MY info I choose to share with whoever I choose to share it with. Why are you even on this site? To be a keyboard worrior or to just stroke your ego or others who post "look at me" posts. You have your panties in a twist without even knowing what kind of info I was going to share....crowds, terrain or road conditions. Now I feel obliged to share specific drainages and routes to and from. Thanks for the encouragement. Shame on you for being self centered.
People like that are not even worth my time or key strokes..Your input is much appreciated and respected, I always like the " out of state hunter F them " blah blah yet last I checked everybody loves eating the fruits and vegies from my state etc etc I can go on and on.... Wait this is still the USA correct and we are all public land owners or maybe I'm wrong hmmm anyhow you get the point.. Cheers and have a good day