Idaho hunt dates ?

id450

WKR
Hi guys. I'm heading over to the pioneer unit for the OTC elk hunt. I'm pretty open on dates. I'll have about 8 days. 1-2 drive and hunting the rest.,currently I'm looking at leaving around the 16th-17. I'm think of pushing that up a few days to the 14th. Any thoughts on how things should be going by then with the rut. ? It's my first elk hunt in new country. Thanks guys

twsnow18

FNG
Really hard to say these days, wish it was more consistent. Last year was my first time in the Pioneer Zone. 6 total days of scouting/goat hunting.

They were bugling late. Just screaming Sept 25th ish - Oct 4th when we headed out. A report via the tag holder that was in there scouting all of August and September last year said they were bugling the most the last couple days of September. Could have been a fluke year, idk.

Further west in the Sawtooths where we hunt, they were bugling often around the 17th and then again October 15th when I called in my rifle bull. I would go 17th-25th if possible, 8 days should be enough to get into some elk at some point.

OP
I

id450

WKR
No problem. Good luck, report back with pics!

Well I got some great pics , but no elk. I glassed up 9-10'bulls and went after a few but it was really tuff. Apparently the wolf issue there around Mackay has them shit down. The elk were bedded each day before first light and only came out right at dusk. I had packed In a few miles and never had a real opportunity it's to get after them due to the light left and distance. I pat tended one nice lone bull for 2 nights. On the 3rd day I left my ridge and made a 3 mile hike in to him. He never showed to his feeding area? Wind was good.. He was my best chance. I tried some real suttle cow calls /calf calls right at last light. have no idea how you hunt a elk in that timber once they are bedded and not talking ? We had snow the first few days but no sign of the rut at all. Only seen a few cows by themselves. Overall I had a great time, I learned a ton. I doubt I'll return to Idaho if the wolfs are having this impact. I really wanted to atleast be a witness to the rut and hear those big boys sound off. Thanks again for the help

twsnow18

FNG
How long have you been elk hunting?

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, we hunt about 10 miles from THE original original wolf release site (what started all this mess) in the Sawtooths. And we still usually luck into a draw once or twice in September when they are bugling, with a hot cow. If they still bugle in the McCall and Sawtooth zones, they damn sure bugle in the rest of the state. You just have to be in the right drainage on the right day.

Maybe CO might be a better bet for you, but I have a feeling you would call in more hunters there. I've been itching to try out Montana's general tag, as it gets a lot of notoriety.

OP
I

id450

WKR
This was my first archery trip. So a total learning experience for me. I've been archery hunting 10 seasons but all mule deer till this year.

That's interesting. About the sawtooth. I noticed those tags sold out fast. I figured it was wolf free?
Do you have any advice about the November muzzleloader, that my tag is good for? I'd be more than happy with a cow . Also, can I use a bow in November? Thank you

Redmist

FNG
Certainly not wolf free. I hunted there 12 years. They sell out fast because there are so few.