Idaho horse or llama packers question

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Will be hunting elk near Challis this year and am looking for anyone that will come in and pack and elk out with horses or llamas for us.
Im not sure how to go about finding a ranch hand or cowboy that does this yet know the option is out there.
If you know anyone or have other ideas on how I can look for someone feel free to PM me some info.
Thanks
Jason

ndbuck09

WKR
Not to be a contrarian, but I've always heard that if you're paying someone to pack meat out for you, they've offered and tendered no outfitting because they didn't help with the hunt, hunting, etc. So they didn't need to be licensed as an outfitter to move a load from point a to point b.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
The only option you have is to hire the Outfitter that is licensed to operate in the area of your hunt. The Outfitter might not even offer such a service, in which case you are out of luck. Paying anyone else to pack game for you would be illegal in Idaho.

Thanks for the reply. Where in all that info you sent is this mentioned? I would have never thought to research guiding rules in the state so if you turn out to be right I appreciate you sharing.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I just got of the phone with Fish and Game and verified it is totally legal to hire a non-guide to pack out the game animal.

So if anyone knows how or who or where I search around the Challis area I would appreciate the info.

Would be willing to spend a few hundred bucks to be able to hike in further with a good game plan.

Brooks

WKR
Pack outs around here in NM cost anywhere from $500 to $1000. A guy packing out has a lot invested in truck, trailer, horses and gear not to mention their time. Not all pack outs are easy. Good luck.

Not to be a contrarian, but I've always heard that if you're paying someone to pack meat out for you, they've offered and tendered no outfitting because they didn't help with the hunt, hunting, etc. So they didn't need to be licensed as an outfitter to move a load from point a to point b.
This is completely inaccurate. The policy is uniform in every state as long as you are talking about National Forest. It has nothing to do with guiding or hunting. It has to do with offering any commercial services on National Forest for any type of compensation.

In order to do that a person has to have a U.S. Forest Service user permit. it could be for anything from summer trail rides to fishing to snowmobile tours to dog sledding to guided bicycle trips, rock climbing etc. A person cannot accept any kind of compensation, not just money, for any services offered on National Forest without the user permit and the proper licenses.

If you want the facts straight from the horses mouth, call the forest service ranger station for the particular forest you plan to hunt and ask them. That is who sets and enforces the regulations on National Forest.

Anyone ever seen someone charged with this???

Ya I have, the guy was packing out game for several hunters over a period of time. The game warden finally caught up with him after several reports. The hunter that hired him got a $1200 fine and lost his elk. The illegal outfitter had all his gear confiscated along with his truck and trailer until the investigation was over. He ended up losing hunting licenses, got fined, and isn’t even legally allowed to guide or outfit in the state ever again. I’d have to see if I could find the report from CPW cause it was quite a few years ago…. As in when it was still DOW.

If you are on USFS or blm lands to perform a service you must be licensed, bonded, insured and permitted. Idaho has a guide license as well but to be licensed as a guide you have to be working for an outfitter, definition is pretty simple “provide services on public lands”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got of the phone with Fish and Game and verified it is totally legal to hire a non-guide to pack out the game animal.

So if anyone knows how or who or where I search around the Challis area I would appreciate the info.

Would be willing to spend a few hundred bucks to be able to hike in further with a good game plan.

If Idaho fish and game is anything like CO, and you talked to a person in a front office they probably didn’t even know themselves. USFS or BLM is who you should call, or go to the Idaho outfitters and guides association.

If it’s anything like CO, and you get caught hiring an illegal outfitter it comes back on you worse than the illegal outfitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
This is completely inaccurate. The policy is uniform in every state as long as you are talking about National Forest. It has nothing to do with guiding or hunting. It has to do with offering any commercial services on National Forest for any type of compensation.

In order to do that a person has to have a U.S. Forest Service user permit. it could be for anything from summer trail rides to fishing to snowmobile tours to dog sledding to guided bicycle trips, rock climbing etc. A person cannot accept any kind of compensation, not just money, for any services offered on National Forest without the user permit and the proper licenses.

If you want the facts straight from the horses mouth, call the forest service ranger station for the particular forest you plan to hunt and ask them. That is who sets and enforces the regulations on National Forest.
Now I get the big picture and understand where the "illegal" part comes from. I will have to come up with an alternate plan. Thanks for posting.

Idaboy

WKR
Is this Sept archery or Oct Rifle? are you hiking in/spiking or hunting from road/day hunts.....unless you are getting packed or dropped "way back in there", would just bring an extra friend and pack it out diy

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Is this Sept archery or Oct Rifle? are you hiking in/spiking or hunting from road/day hunts.....unless you are getting packed or dropped "way back in there", would just bring an extra friend and pack it out diy
shot you a message.