Idaho Game Warden disappearance unsolved case

rodney482

WKR
I suspect he was murdered then his body removed from the area and buried elsewhere. Not buying the anonymous source’s story about seeing him 2 weeks later.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sad story :( I also have a hard time believing he just strolled up to Canada.

Still very much a dangerous job today.

Travis907

WKR
Definitely sad story and makes you wonder but I’d say he was met with force from fish and game violators!

I'm going with fowl play and disposed of well in the Backcountry. It's sad but it seems the only logical conclusion in this case.

rodney482

WKR
Another part of this story that disturbs me is the anonymous source who the Sheriff believed. That does not pass the smell test.

Cover up ?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Fishy indeed.

Personally I would have grilled that "witness" for a loooooong time. If I had the least shadow of a doubt of his truthfulness, I'd bring in couple of more folks to interview him again. He wouldn't remain anonymous either, his name would go in the report.

I'm not sure the fines during that time would have warranted killing a warden but that's not allowing for people that are just nuts. When I was working I couldn't carry a gun in a state vehicle nor a dog. Since I spent almost all of my time in the remote areas and after the dept of revenue employee was killed up north, I started driving my own truck. That allowed me a gun for self defense and an early warning system in the dog. Every camp was as remote as I could get it or at a place that I knew the people. When you work by yourself in remote places, you are at risk. Things haven't changed much.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
This is some incredibly steep thick big country. I trap alot of this all the way to Canada border.
I have thought many times about what could happen if I got hurt. As we as trappers have to get away from the roads to prevent theft and tampering . It would be pretty hard to find a body.

Beendare

WKR
This is some incredibly steep thick big country. I trap alot of this all the way to Canada border.
I have thought many times about what could happen if I got hurt. As we as trappers have to get away from the roads to prevent theft and tampering . It would be pretty hard to find a body.
Good point…we always think the worst.

But oh the gonads it takes to confront gun packing backwoods poachers…..I will be the first to admit, its a thankless job And my thanks to those who do it.

Same with LEO’s. A simple traffic stop has the potential to turn into a gunfight…and the bad guy has the benefit of surprise. Myself and my family Thanks you LEOs for your duty.

In the 90s the Lewis and Clark county sheriff (Helena) came to me after a girl disappeared from the west of Helena. He wanted locations of every mine between Helena and Anaconda since the primary suspect was from Anaconda. The assumption was he had disposed of the body in mine workings along the way. I think the prelimonary list was between 250 and 350 properties. Since that is my area of expertice I was going to have to assist the deputies on their search of each one. That was assuming a path of up to a mile on either side of his suspected path. Just as I came to grips with what that time commitment was going to be - the suspect confessed and took the deputies to where he had buried her on the side of the road 10 -15 miles out of town. Nowhere near a mine.

The Silver Valley and Mineral co. Mt would closely resemble the area we were going to work only a lot steeper and incredible amounts of vegetation. With todays technology it might be somewhat easier but still no guarantee.