Idaho elk unit 39 controlled hunt info

Joe T

FNG
I drew controlled hunt 2116 this year. Never hunted unit 39. The stats for this hunt are fantastic. I'm wondering if its due to private land. Is the archery only area north of Arrowrock lake a good place to start. Looks to be about 200,000 acres and about half of that is private. Trying to wrap my head around the good stats for the controlled hunt and fairly dismal percent success for the unit overall.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I drew controlled hunt 2116 this year. Never hunted unit 39. The stats for this hunt are fantastic. I'm wondering if its due to private land. Is the archery only area north of Arrowrock lake a good place to start. Looks to be about 200,000 acres and about half of that is private. Trying to wrap my head around the good stats for the controlled hunt and fairly dismal percent success for the unit overall.
Yeah that section of 39 as well as a great majority of the unit is Private !! Looks like there will be about 600 muzzy hunters up there with ya , Better try & secure access to some private

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Imo, it's idahos worst unit lol. At least you're early in the season lol. Have fun with everyone and their great grandma camping next to you. And every Calfornian who is trying to hunt for the first time asking you if you saw anything (even before their season). There are a few remote parts of the unit but i try and avoid it.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no longer wondering why someone posted earlier about ppl posting unit numbers. Second post I've seen today.

There is no archery only area north of arrowrock, that is a portion of the unit that is closed during the general late archery season. There are elk everywhere in unit 39, but there are also people everywhere in unit 39. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
There is very little hunting going on in 39 in September. I’m not sure what people are talking about. Lots of people camping, etc, but not in remote areas. Lots of elk, lots of rutting. Should be a great time. Good luck!

I’ve been putting in for that hunt for 2 decades! Should be an open/shut case in September!

I’ve been putting in for that hunt for 2 decades! Should be an open/shut case in September!

That’s really impressive considering they have only had the September archery hunts in there for about 8 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk