Idaho 66 7-Day War?

ErikT

FNG
So I hear this unit rifle season is fondly, or not so fondly referred to as the "7 day war". I'm a NR with an elk b and deer tag in my pocket. This will be my first time hunting this unit and will be a soldier in the war. Just curious why they call it the 7 day war and if there's aspect of hunting this unit that I should be aware of. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks-

TheTone

WKR
I think most of the name just comes from the fact it’s a popular any bull rifle hunt. With the short season it packs everyone into that time frame and the fact that there aren’t a lot of other units in the area that are open bull hunts leads to lots of tags being sold. I remember sitting at a large trailhead in the unit 12-15 years ago and watching multiple bulls get killed on the hillside we could see

OP
ErikT

ErikT

FNG
I think most of the name just comes from the fact it’s a popular any bull rifle hunt. With the short season it packs everyone into that time frame and the fact that there aren’t a lot of other units in the area that are open bull hunts leads to lots of tags being sold. I remember sitting at a large trailhead in the unit 12-15 years ago and watching multiple bulls get killed on the hillside we could see
Thanks for the info. We are looking to avoid crowds the best we can, but understand the nature of the unit and the 'any bull rifle hunt' will pack a bunch of hunters into the unit over a limited time frame.

seww

WKR
Lots of roads in the unit so expect many atv's and sxs's. But so far in the archery season, I've only met one other hunter and I was a good 3 miles or so from the nearest road.
Once you hike in a bit you should be fairly ok. I did find 2 wall tent camps, one was 3 miles in and the other about 5. There are hike/bike/horse trails all over the place, and I haven't met or seen any motorized vehicles on the ones I've been to.

Plenty of water in the unit. One reason I like it :)
I've seen several elks and smaller herd, heard about 4-5 different bugles but never seen the bulls. Saw one spike.
I've got the OTC res A tag so I'll be chasing a cow in 2 weeks, good luck!

I was there last week. I saw more hunters than elk and that was with me trying to get away from the masses on horseback. Met several non residents, some were cool, others were complete dicks. That unit isn’t what it used to be. Two non residents shot some small deer. Another one made a piss poor shot on a bull that they could’t recover according to the outfitter I talked to. All the regulars agreed it has turned into a pretty crappy area to hunt. Oh, and several dudes illegally hunting on motorcycles…that really pissed me off.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
It was a rough time up there, indeed. Resident or not, gotten to know quite a few groups up there over the last few years. Everyone was saying the same thing. Lot of hunters with minimal critters. That moon and heat didn’t help either.

OP
ErikT

ErikT

FNG
We didn't see much. It was beautiful weather and beautiful country, but too nice for game to be moving. Locals all said it was the must unseasonably warm weather they've ever seen. We did see a few moose and 2 elk that were not in our unit, and 4 mule deer but nothing shootable. The camping was great and we met some very nice resident hunters with horses that were very polite and helpful. Saw a few others that gave us the full-on stink eye. Saw a couple young guys ramming around the prairie foothills in full camo running (literally running) around with AR rifles. No idea what they were doing. They approached us from behind with no regard to the fact that we were glassing an area ahead and ran right through us and busted through the hills ahead of us. completely ruined our hunt for the morning.

seww

WKR
I was out on Saturday morning, in the snow/rain/cold. Didn't have any fun but got myself a nice hike and some fresh tracks.
Did see a new wall tent that I haven't seen earlier, was tempted to go over there and get warm :)

On Monday the unit seemed empty. Could barely hear any trucks or atv/sxs which was nice. Got into some elk cows but weren't able to close the deal.
I did see more trucks on my way home, parked alongside the roads to scout.

Oh well, it is what it is, will try again for the final weekend.

We didn't see much. It was beautiful weather and beautiful country, but too nice for game to be moving. Locals all said it was the must unseasonably warm weather they've ever seen. We did see a few moose and 2 elk that were not in our unit, and 4 mule deer but nothing shootable. The camping was great and we met some very nice resident hunters with horses that were very polite and helpful. Saw a few others that gave us the full-on stink eye. Saw a couple young guys ramming around the prairie foothills in full camo running (literally running) around with AR rifles. No idea what they were doing. They approached us from behind with no regard to the fact that we were glassing an area ahead and ran right through us and busted through the hills ahead of us. completely ruined our hunt for the morning.
Is it possible they saw some Russians?

Rockin'A

FNG
Very tough hunting this year. We did fill 2 of 3 elk tags and the one mule deer tag we had. Didn’t see the animals like we had the last few years. Had a great time regardless.

seww

WKR
I saw a cow almost a mile away on Saturday. Hurried over there and found her again, less than 100 yards away. Had her in my crosshair, broadside and everything. But then I noticed something weird but could quite see what it was.
Then they stepped out. A calf was trying to drink milk.

I don't know about everybody else, but I don't shoot cows with small calves like this. I just watched them for a bit and tried to find the other elk as I knew there were more than these two. Saw another one pop its head up, but looked small. Wanted it to move so I could see the size.
Then the bull stood up! A little spike bull and his family of two calves. Was fun to see but no shot. Calves were too small and I thought he right thing to do was to leave them alone. Fairly sure the one calf won't survive the winter anyways but still...

Fun fall in 66! Will be back next year I'm sure, there are animals around no doubt.

I hunted 66 last year as well - saw lots of bulls but lots of people. the TH I was at produced 5 pretty nice bulls and 2 smaller basket bucks. Not sure I would go back as it was a pretty far drive from Central WA - if anyone has that tag (66 B) I'd be willing to share some spots - shoot me a pm!