I need tent help

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to this backpacking gig. This will be my first backpack trip/hunt so I’ve got a lot to learn. On the off chance I don’t love backpack hunting, I chose to borrow my sleep setup from a friend. This also helped me keep down cost since I had a lot of other crap to buy.

The tent I’m borrowing from his is a pretty nice tent, but it’s also heavy. It’s a 2 man and I weighed it at like 6.25 lb. Crazy.

So short of buying a tent, what can I do? Someone on another one of my posts mentioned using just the rain fly? How does one do this?

I also have a 5x7 ultra light tarp. Is there a way to use this with trekking poles?

I’ll be hunting early September in Co. High alpine mule deer.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you planning on setting up a base camp or being mobile? If you are staying stationary, the weight of the tent isn't the end of the world for your first time out. If you are mobile, it's a hassle. Light tarp and trekking poles is great, just tuck into some trees (watch out for widow makers) and tie the tarp between two with a run of paracord for a ridgeline, tie a pole at each end to keep it tight. 4-6 lightweight stakes and some lightweight cord to pull it out and you are good to go. Bring a piece of tyvek for a ground sheet, and a contractors bag to throw your pack in. Often during archery season, it can be pretty comfy to just not bother setting up anything, and sleep out under the stars. I do use a bivy over my down bag though, so the tarp is only pulled out if it looks like rain.

You should be fine with the tarp in the high country. No bugs, generally weather is great.

Practice setting it up (a lot) before you head out there. Otherwise pickup the best deal you can find on a sub 3.5 pound tent before then.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning on setting up a base camp or being mobile? If you are staying stationary, the weight of the tent isn't the end of the world for your first time out. If you are mobile, it's a hassle. Light tarp and trekking poles is great, just tuck into some trees (watch out for widow makers) and tie the tarp between two with a run of paracord for a ridgeline, tie a pole at each end to keep it tight. 4-6 lightweight stakes and some lightweight cord to pull it out and you are good to go. Bring a piece of tyvek for a ground sheet, and a contractors bag to throw your pack in. Often during archery season, it can be pretty comfy to just not bother setting up anything, and sleep out under the stars. I do use a bivy over my down bag though, so the tarp is only pulled out if it looks like rain.

Our plan is to hike in a few miles and set up with the possibility of moving at some point in the week.

I have some experience camping, but not for hunting and mostly summer. So I look at the forecast and see those high 20/low 30 lows and get nervous lol even though I’ll have a 0 degree bag.

But if I can cut 4-5 pounds by using a tarp, it’d be hard not to.

A 5x7 tarp is pretty small unless you're a small guy.
I'm 6ft in a 6x9 and if it was really raining I wouldn't want any less.
You definitely need to set it up with your gear underneath.
You probably need to add some guy lines..
This is how I generally set mine up unless I was expecting alot of rain id go A frame.
20190520_135044.jpg

Titan_Bow

WKR
What brand and model tent is it? 5x7 tarp in my opinion is not big enough. I would either buy a bigger tarp, or play around with the tent and see if you can figure out how to set it up rainfly only.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Bivy and a tarp is the way to go.
Check out the tarp from Seek Outside! It’s pretty reasonable and I believe it’s like 9x9

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Man, if you’re new to backpacking and high altitude…do you really want to ride out an alpine lightning storm under one man tarp? How about two alpine lighting storms with 15-20 minutes of marble-sized hail mixed in? At least get a silex or something. Getting your teeth kicked in by a mountain storm will completely ruin your big mountain experience. Early September at 12k’ could be nice weather or it could snow 4” of wet slop overnight with swirling winds.

Is your borrowed tent a double wall with separable rainfly? If so, using it in "skin-and-bones" mode (i.e., rainfly/poles/stakes only, no inner liner or ground sheet) could be a way to shave off a couple pounds. If that's an option, weigh it both ways and see if rainfly mode is worth pursuing. If it's still too heavy for your liking, your remaining options are a bivy sack or tarp.

BDRam16

WKR
I’m assuming if you’re borrowing gear that you don’t have a ton of backpacking experience yet. Minimalist type set ups take a lot of getting used to. They suck. And people who tell you otherwise are either used to it through years of experience or are just plain nuts. For crawling into bed right after a day of hiking and doing nothing other than immediately falling asleep...it will be fine. But as someone else said, with zero experience back there it will be a miserable day riding a storm out in a shelter than you can’t even sit up in. You have not done it enough to notice a 2-3lb pack weight difference. There are TONS of floored double wall tents in the 2-3 lb category that will be FAR more beginner friendly than a tarp. Don’t blow your entire trip for a few pounds. Don’t be 5 miles back and have all of your gear completely soaked with water because you couldn’t fit your gear in your tarp properly.

Early Sept 2 years ago in an area I was in produced a 2 day snow storm and dropped over a foot of snow. Tarps are good if the weather looks good going in, but I’d be prepared with another shelter option. Agree with everyone above, a 5x7 tarp is too small to really get under for protection more than just shade.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. For some reason my app glitched and I didn’t know I got so much feedback! I’m playing around with my options But may just suffer the weight and stick it out. Only have to get it to camp and back to the truck as we hope to not really move much.

Durston and Tarptent are both good options that would cut a ton of weight.
Adding the Arigali.

dtrkyman

WKR
I saw a Mountain Shelter LT here the other day for 70 bux, worth a look for a solid light shelter.