i love my Attack pants, BUT........carrying a knife.

boom

WKR
clipping a knife into the side pocket is just about useless..what makes the material awesome, also makes it not the most rigid.

i think i dropped my knife 3 times yesterday in the turkey fields. didnt loose it..luckily.

i think a small panel of stiffer stuff, or a inner backbone would be a great addition to a fantasitic pair of pants. my pants guy so wet hiking in..they dried fast, and never felt cold to my skin.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I know. Not the point of my thread. Just thinking out loud. If you make hunting pants. We pretty much all clip on knives. Not that they are still here to read my design ideas :)

I clip my EDC knives, but while hunting it's either in the pack or on the pack belt. I've lost to many pocket knives while hunting.

boom,

You need to remember that KUIU's design philosophy is to make it as light as possible. So, little things like a stiffer fabric for the pocket the knife is clipped to, will not be included. That is why the chest pocket on the jacket and vest were not in the first season design. With enough requests for this kind of thing it might happen in future seasons.

Larry

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its the design of the pocket. The inner of the pocket (from outside to inside) is more horizontal (toward crotch) than vertical (down leg). A slight change in how the pocket is cut would solve the problem with little or no weight penalty. It sounds simple to fix, but I am sure its a pain for KUIU and the pants are selling like hotcakes so probably not high on the list for a modification any time soon. Would be a nice fix though.

FYI... The Timberline pants have a cool pocket specifically designed for a knife and the Mountain Pants have toughened up the knife clip area. Both solve the problem of a clip style knife.

I used to clip a knife in my pant pocket and never had any problems with it coming off the attack pants but maybe that is just me. I now keep a fixed blade knife on my pack hip belt instead of one of the pockets. If you are concerned about losing it, throwing it in one of the cargo pockets seems like your best bet to me.

I really like my attack pants and only use them for hunting . When I hunt I carry a fixed blade in a sheath on my belt so I have never had this problem. The attack pants are probably the best all around mountain pant I have used.